• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

!! why the jr !!

michaeljames

So i get the special 2 pups ~ why th jr 1 pup? btw ~ i just bought one...
to add to the special...but i wanna know, why the jr?

jl :eek:h

58Lee

Michael, I have always had that question as well. I have heard that the tone of the Jr. is different because of the different tenon and neck mounting (where the neck pupo is on the Special). For what it's worth, I have a '60 Special double cut in TV yellow and prefer it over the Jr. The middle position kills it for me. Reminds me if the Hunter/Wagner live solo on Sweet Jane.
Lee

les strat

Special P90 is not dog-earred to the body like on a Junior. Supposedly gives it a different sound being directly on the body.

LCP

I would go special... more of the versatility thing...

KOTR

I think the dog ear style mounting of the P90 on the Jr. also changes its positioning relative to the strings (compared to the special) which affects tone.

PaisleyTube

imo/to my ears/to my fingers/etc.

a pu mounted directly on the body does "transfer" the sound in a different way, feedback differs also (easier/nicer imo).

and

a SC JR is just ubercool on 11 :)

MikeSlub

Administrator
With a one pickup Junior, you create your sound by dynamic adjustments in volume and tone controls in an interactive fashion. It is unique, and it worked for Leslie West! :dude:

cryptozoo

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for the Special.

Luckily, I don't have to pick one.

MikeSlub

Administrator
If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for the Special.

Luckily, I don't have to pick one.

I am a two pickup kinda guy myself, but can appreciate the Junior for what it is (and what it is not). :2cool :jim

hank

All Access/Backstage Pass

I found myself to be a 'special' guy after owning a couple of old juniors. I just love the tone of a neck pickup.

I happen to know that Special of yours is very ......... special. :3zone

L

loufed52

Those Gibsons with their plastic pickup rings all have lousy tone and sustain. :wank

As usual, there is zero proof and no credible scientific evidence to back up this purely subjective theory.
There are far more important factors that affect tone and sustain.
If a guitar is a dog, the pickup attachment method won't make a bit of difference.

CR9

The one pickup Junior was originally made as a low priced student model and the second pickup was not installed to save money. As mentioned, Leslie West made a huge sound with his in the early days of Mountain.

les strat

With a one pickup Junior, you create your sound by dynamic adjustments in volume and tone controls in an interactive fashion. It is unique, and it worked for Leslie West! :dude:

And Dick Wagner... used a Junior with a plexi to get those sweet tones on Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin" and many other band's albums.

vintage58

why the jr?
Wrong question.... should really be, "Why the TV Model?"

lpf04.jpg

Gold Tone

Yes!!

I was quite amazed at this on the Junior. I was able to gig with one for years and simply use the tone and volume controls for quite a huge variety of tones. The volume control seemed to really go from clean to dirty better than any guitar I've owned and the tone control gave a full range of tone shaping but, unlike most guitars I have owned, kept clarity all throughout nicely.

Big :3zone for Juniors (original ones...I haven't played reissues so I can't comment)

The simplicity of the single cut with one pikcup and two controls sure forces you to use your fingers A LOT to change the tone and feel. Juniors just look too cool and really have that raw rock and roll feel.

straightblues

I like the simplicity of the Junior. It allows my to be free and not worry about changing between pickups. I find my self focusing on playing and being able to coax all of the tones out of the guitar with my fingers, attack and where and how hard I pick. I also like the looks better. Here is a picture of my Rist Workhorse.

stevefinch040.jpg