• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help IDing this axe?

hoss

I'll give it a shot. The dark fretboard (ebony) and the busy inlays remind me of the late 1970s Pro Deluxe models. They also had the pointy cutaway.
Maybe it's been retopped. Tailpiece position is way off for sure.

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Last edited:

Danny

Les Paul Forum Member, Formerly Musicinmysoul
The pickups were PAFs, the former owner said specifically that they had PAFs stickers on the back...one was messed up when it was disassembled to be repainted and was send off to Seymour Duncan to be rewound, but it never sounded the same.

It would be nice if we had pictures of the head stock, that would tell us if it was a 70's deluxe...but I admit that the horn does look similar to the picture above.

bobbradley

inlays look wrong to me I.M.O of course as all of us know it is somewhat impossible to rule things out I00% based upon a photo. that said.. the way the inlay's in this photo appear, point to it is not a 50's les paul.

Sheik YerBouti

Metal jack plate, wrong inlays, pointy horn,white switch tip, way too white binding, funky knob placement....but I could be wrong.

capitalbear

The information alone that "a guitar" was sold to an unnamed guitarist of some band doesn't verify that it's the real deal nor does it make the guitar in question look any better. Still looks all wrong, did anyone mention the un-inclined ABR, running all parallel to the bridge PU?
So far, still not a Burst.

Flogger

Hi all, I've been waiting awhile to post something about this, but sometimes life gets in the way of things...

So here's the story: I was demoing some amps for a guy named Art Nace at the American Amp and Custom Guitar Club Winter show (AAACGC), which was scheduled at the same time as the Winter NAMM show. The man in the room next to us was named Peter Marechal, who has his own line of amps called Lixamps. After talking to Peter he told me that he had owned a '59 at one point, and I urged him to try to find an old picture and post it here, to potentially add it to the Burst registery if it hadn't made its way there yet.

So I heard from Peter a day ago and apparently he's having a hard time registering at the forum, but he gave his blessing to post a photo. According to him he sold it to Gary Hernandez of Guitars West in the late 80's, and he thinks Chris Hayes of Huey Lewis and the News may have bought it at one point.

For your viewing pleasure...

lespaul-1.jpg

Chris Hayes claimed ownership of 5 Les Paul Heritage 80 Elites in an old GP article.