LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member Overdriven66's Avatar

Re: Eric Clapton's Firebird I folder:

Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    It was the Fool SG. That whole tour was the SG as his #1. His backup would have probably been the Custom. There are several pics from that night out there.
    I was at that show and Kerry, you are absolutely correct. Sounds corny, but as a 14 year old young guitar player, seeing them literally changed my life. I was also fortunate enough to see Hendrix. Great time to be alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Overdriven66 View Post
    I was at that show and Kerry, you are absolutely correct. Sounds corny, but as a 14 year old young guitar player, seeing them literally changed my life. I was also fortunate enough to see Hendrix. Great time to be alive!
    Amazing! Wish I could have seen Cream and Hendrix but was only born in'67. Got to see Cream in 2005 in London and despite what some might say, I think it was a great gig, despite being a more refined beast than the original Cream.

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    Unfortunately I no longer have anything shown in that room. Yes, I wish I had the guitar and posters, but not the desert boots! )

Desert boots are great. I wore them then and still wear them. I also have a pair of white 501's. I just need a Firebird. And yes, I am So Cal, son of Orange County.

Excellent! I split my youth between catching the good waves in OC and Ventura County, and catching all the great music in LA and Santa Barbara County. Great years!
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Les Paul Forum Member Yannick333's Avatar

Small update:

Thanks so many great photos!-
    EC defined and invented the language-
    no one else is even close.

wow, imagine that EC for one evening brings out a Marshall stack and this Firebird for a couple of numbers....I'm sure he's thought about it...then he says, no man, the only way to go is forward.....

love that pic with Santana

thanks Yannick!

double

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitecture View Post
    Thanks so many great photos!-
    EC defined and invented the language-
    no one else is even close.
    Probably a very accurate statement. He was surely deravitive of the blues players from the states but just like the Beatles did with 1950's American rock and roll, Clapton synthesized it into an entirely new sound and form of expression. There is simply nothing like the extended jams on the live tracks of Wheels Of Fire prior to that record.

Les Paul Forum Member

Probably a very accurate statement. He was surely deravitive of the blues players from the states but just like the Beatles did with 1950's American rock and roll, Clapton synthesized it into an entirely new sound and form of expression. There is simply nothing like the extended jams on the live tracks of Wheels Of Fire prior to that record.
    Except for jazz...Bruce and Baker were well grounded in jazz, totally familiar with Coltrane's extended "jams", he had just died in July 1967. There was a lot of overlap between what was happening in rock and in modal/free jazz, and of course MILES started to Run the Voodoo Down (w/ John McLaughlin, a "bridge" player between the British rock and jazz worlds (also known to Bruce and Baker).
    And of course, a lot of young listeners who were into the long improv's of Cream were seamlessly drawn into fusion, Coltrane/Miles and then back to earlier jazz (and of course blues).

Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post

love that pic with Santana

thanks Yannick!
    Is that Santana? He looks like George Harrison.

olgabowl

My call would be Felix Pappalardi...

Les Paul Forum Member Yannick333's Avatar

I'm not sure but I think it's Santana!

Les Paul Forum Member Dreadnaught's Avatar

WOW, I never knew....great pics and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
    Except for jazz...Bruce and Baker were well grounded in jazz, totally familiar with Coltrane's extended "jams", he had just died in July 1967. There was a lot of overlap between what was happening in rock and in modal/free jazz, and of course MILES started to Run the Voodoo Down (w/ John McLaughlin, a "bridge" player between the British rock and jazz worlds (also known to Bruce and Baker).
    And of course, a lot of young listeners who were into the long improv's of Cream were seamlessly drawn into fusion, Coltrane/Miles and then back to earlier jazz (and of course blues).
    Bitches Brew with John Mac would be three years after the live Cream stuff.... although "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down" would be in my top ten desert Island tracks. The Cream stuff and Claptons style, phrasing was not really based on the modal Tyner/Coltrane style but straight from the blues....just taken to different level of expression.... similar to the post bop jazz jams in form (head/jam/head) but nothing on record with guitar/blues/rock before then.

All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yannick333 View Post
    I'm not sure but I think it's Santana!
    I agree that is Felix Pappalardi. Probably supervising the live recordings to be released for Goodbye Cream.
    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

Les Paul Forum Member

. The Cream stuff and Claptons style, phrasing was not really based on the modal Tyner/Coltrane style but straight from the blues....just taken to different level of expression.... similar to the post bop jazz jams in form (head/jam/head) but nothing on record with guitar/blues/rock before then.
    We agree, Cream was groundbreaking in many ways: tonally, volume-wise, the freedom of the rhythm section, and I remember my shock at hearing the 17 minute version of Spoonful on WOF. 17 minutes, HOLY SHIT! But as I got more into jazz, I realized that the IDEA of Extended Jamming was around before them, and Coltrane was leading the way with his quartet and extended groups (followed along by all the other free jazz/modal guys). There are Trane records where both sides were one extended 45 minute piece, people lucky enough to have heard him live in the mid 60's report sets/tunes lasting well over 1 hour; 35 mnute "tunes" were standard. People couldn't believe his endurance, the physical toll of blowing a tenor that long..
    There were long form jam sessions in the swing era, where an "All Star" big band w/ lots of name soloists would play a long time, but no one that I'm aware of was routinely basing their whole approach on long-form jamming. before Trane. Club owners considered him a problem: he wanted to play too damn long! He wouldn't take normal breaks..

And of course, "world music" has lots of examples of musical traditions with pieces that last a long time (ragas, etc etc). and that's where Trane's inspiration was coming from.

Sure, the Cream stuff was largely pentatonic based, but the WHOLE BAND WAS IMPROVISING, and that was much closer to a jazz model than any rock that had come before them. The jazz stuff (modal/post-bop/free) was much more adventurous melodically, but I always felt they were more alike than different, reflective of a time of breaking out, breaking rules, trying new things. It ws a very exciting time to be a music fan/ budding musician..and all sadly long gone. The new music today is made by machines...
    Last edited by Litcrit; 05-01-12 at 09:38 AM.

I listen to live Cream recordings today probably more than I ever have in all these years since I bought the stuff when it was brand new ( plus boots I've acquired in recent years.) The prime attraction for me is not the nostalgia part of it, although those feelings from yesteryear are ever-present to a degree for me. There is a greatly vibrant life to the music these three giants pulled off together. It's as fresh to me as it was when it was performed all those years ago. Like all great music, it's timeless. And for me, there is nothing around today that could remotely touch it. The incredible fiery passion and through-the-roof, on-to-the-sky energy level they performed with along with the chops to go wherever they wanted to take it to was/is a thing of sheer amazement to me. They are a joy for me to listen to always.

One more thing: For me, the original sunburst Firebird I is the coolest guitar of all time.

Inadvertently representing the USA in France and the UK

"Miles Runs The Voodoo Down" would be in my top ten desert Island tracks.
    Hard to pick one off BB for me, although you're right, Voodoo is probably it. But the bass clarinet figure in the title track is just... so... cool.

Lest we forget, there was a lot of very forgettable (you can tell because we've forgotten it ) jamming in the era. Cream was a level above - aside from the obvious stuff, I always thought it was partly because, even when they were most out there, they always kept one toe in the song form. A bit of structure can go a long way toward making a jam a performance that you can listen to over and over. Miles demonstrated that repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    I agree that is Felix Pappalardi. Probably supervising the live recordings to be released for Goodbye Cream.
    Hmm, possible that's Pappalardi, it's been a long time since I saw Mountain! Sure doesn't sound like a FB1 on live Goodbye tracks though. Of course, one photo does not an album make....
    I always wonder what guitar was used on the Goodbye Sitting on Top, sounds to me like the same guitar and gig as the WOF Crossroads.....

Crossroads was the Fool SG with Marshall stack. Clapton practically always played through two stacks, but according to, I believe, reliable information about the live recordings of March, 1968 (Crossroads, Spoonful, N.S.U., etc. etc.), he only played through one stack for recording purposes. It's interesting that what we hear on all the official live recordings is actually not Clapton's full sound that he had in those days. The massive sustain of double stacks was more powerful than a single stack, according to at least one Cream expert who was there to experience it all for himself.

According to photographic evidence and perhaps eyewitnesses, Eric was playing the Firebird I on all the Goodbye live tracks.
    Last edited by rabbit; 01-25-13 at 01:32 AM.

Listening to the Back Bay Theatre (April 5, 1968) Boston boot...that's gotta be the FB1. Has that tone all over the show.

Man were they on fire that night. First song Sunshine (17:32 worth) is unbelievable. EC says "We like to get warmed up"...talk about understatement.

Still prefer Grande Ballroom 10/67 - the epiphany was new and happening right there on the spot.
    Jim

LTB golden era Pulsonic coned cabs/speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    Sure doesn't sound like a FB1 on live Goodbye tracks though. Of course, one photo does not an album make....
    I always wonder what guitar was used on the Goodbye Sitting on Top, sounds to me like the same guitar and gig as the WOF Crossroads.....
    He had retired the Fool SG (used on WOF live tracks) from touring by May 1968 and from all photos of just about every night they played on the last US tour the FBI was has primary guitar, the burst his backup. No evidence anywhere of the SG being in the US for the fall of 1968 Farewell tour when the live Goodbye tracks were recorded. I guess it's possible the Fool or even the 335 could have been used on the studio tracks recored at IBC in England for Goodbye, I don't know if we'll ever know for sure which guitars he used for those tracks. But the nights Goodbye live tracks were recorded at The Forum definitely show the Firebird I is used for the most part and the Fool appears to be missing from that entire tour. The Goodbye live version of Sitting On Top Of The World would most likely be the Firebird since the Fool was not around for that tour and out of all the many photos that have turned up for that fall 1968 tour, the burst is only seen maybe a handful of times.....almost always the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    Listening to the Back Bay Theatre (April 5, 1968) Boston boot...that's gotta be the FB1. Has that tone all over the show.

He bought the Firebird in Philadelphia while doing the Electric Factory dates (April 19,20,21) so doubtful the Back Bay Theatre shows which were two weeks before could have been the Firebird.
    Last edited by j45; 01-17-13 at 05:26 PM.

Do you suppose the Fool was pretty well toasted by 4/68 ?

Am surprised it lasted as long as it did given what was going on. If you think about it, it was probably the most used/attacked/frenetically played LP/SG Std. on the planet up unto that point. Until the Angus years I suppose..Didn't Todd say the Fool was pretty shot when he got it ?

1967 Cream will always be my favorite live band.
    Jim

LTB golden era Pulsonic coned cabs/speakers

He never really left the Fool SG alone from what you see in the pics. It goes through several stages of mods to the trap over those two years until he finally just had it cut down to part of the frame holding the strings. I'm sure if he would have been happy with it he wouldn't have constantly messed with it. Kinda funny that he just didn't get another guitar if the vibrola was giving him so much trouble. I guess he either realy liked the sound or he could've just liked the psychedelic look.

I'll bet Buddy Guy shit all over Clapton at the show that pic was from. Buddy was a madman back then. I prefer the Explorer over a Firebird myself. If you A/B ed them I think most people would also.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These are from the 11/2/68 show at Madison Square Garden. My first concert. The Buddy Miles Express opened and Terry Reid did a set. I have been a great fan of Terry Reid ever since. Of course I am an EC fan as a guitarist but as a singer, it doesn't get much better than Terry Reid. He couldn't have been much more than 18 years old at this time...
    ...Ricky

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

rlan-

Great shots! Thanks!

The dreaded revolving stage...Oy.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

rlan - very cool. Interesting gear stuff there on the Terry Reid shot - the trap LP, probably a Dual Showman Reverb jumpered off a Twin, kick mic'ed with a SDC...

Quote Originally Posted by tooold View Post
    rlan - very cool. Interesting gear stuff there on the Terry Reid shot - the trap LP, probably a Dual Showman Reverb jumpered off a Twin, kick mic'ed with a SDC...
    Yes, so many years later I was thinking that a set up just like that would still be very appropriate. I suspect he was using the Twin (by way of it's placement) as a guitar monitor?...
    ...Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by rlan52 View Post
    Yes, so many years later I was thinking that a set up just like that would still be very appropriate. I suspect he was using the Twin (by way of it's placement) as a guitar monitor?...
    Either that, or to avoid removing the hair from the heads of the front row of the audience...

besides the farewell show..what Cream shows actually feature the 335 then? It seems to be all Firebird

By the way, not to hijack the thread but in case some are not familiar with Terry Reid, on this tour he had a trio. A Hammond Organ player who played the bass with foot pedals and a Drummer. For fans of the early "Young Rascals" this was a slice of heaven. I know many who became life long Terry Reid fans after this tour...
    ...Ricky

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnct3 View Post
    besides the farewell show..what Cream shows actually feature the 335 then? It seems to be all Firebird
    And Fool SG...exactly my point when EC's '64 335 was being pumped up as THE guitar on Crossroads and Live Cream and on and on......the facts tell differently. The 335 was NOT the tone of Cream, it was 'burst, Fool SG and 'bird. The 335 came in at the very end..might have been used sparingly on some studio tracks.
    To me, the BEST Live Cream tone was "Sleepy Time Time" where the guitar literally seems to be breathing fire..I believe that was the 'bird.

BTW: if you haven't already, check out Live Cream at Kleek's Klook (11/15/1966 recordings): the band is on fire, wacked out, very intense and free playing. I guess Clapton uses the 'burst?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4t5uNOhJbc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmx5lGIJIa4
    Last edited by Litcrit; 01-23-13 at 09:17 AM.

Which '60s post-Cream era Clapton features the 335?
    He played it on the Rolling Stones Rock'n'roll Circus, probably now and then with Blind Faith.
    How about studio sessions for Jackie Lomax, Martha Velez, Billy Preston etc?
    memo from Mr Antonioni: "Mr Antonioni requires you to smash your Les Paul"
    memo from Jeff Beck: "Tell Mr Antonioni to Fuck Off!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rlan52 View Post
    By the way, not to hijack the thread but in case some are not familiar with Terry Reid, on this tour he had a trio. A Hammond Organ player who played the bass with foot pedals and a Drummer. For fans of the early "Young Rascals" this was a slice of heaven. I know many who became life long Terry Reid fans after this tour...
    Lee Michaels? "You know what mean"

Btw. This is one of the coolest threads ever.
    "... just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London ... " - EC

To me, the BEST Live Cream tone was "Sleepy Time Time" .....I believe that was the 'bird.
    Crazy expressive tone, the best I've heard on record. I thought for decades it was the Firebird... it's on the back cover of the Live album so I stared intently at the album jacket photo while listening as a teenager believing I was hearing a Firebird... but Sleepy Time is the Fool SG.

Quote Originally Posted by johnct3 View Post
    besides the farewell show..what Cream shows actually feature the 335 then?
    None of them.

Les Paul Forum Member

Crazy expressive tone, the best I've heard on record. I thought for decades it was the Firebird... it's on the back cover of the Live album so I stared intently at the album jacket photo while listening as a teenager believing I was hearing a Firebird... but Sleepy Time is the Fool SG.
    Which guitar was he using at the Klooks Kleek (11/1966) shows? His tone and playing were wicked there as well (recordings aren't so great)..

Which guitar was he using at the Klooks Kleek (11/1966) shows? His tone and playing were wicked there as well (recordings aren't so great)..
    Klooks Kleek was the burst!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast