• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric Clapton's Firebird I folder:

Bruce R

I just saw a photo of Eric playing a Firebird during a Blind Faith gig and it looks quite different than the one he used with Cream. Specifically, this one appears to have a single, light stripe of mahogany going down the center, whereas the Cream Firebird has two thin, light stripes with a darker stripe between them.

Is it just the lighting, or had he been known to use more than one?

The Shifter

Is this the pic you're talking about?
clapton%20fb%20370x493.jpg

Bruce R

Yes, that's the one. I was able to grab a couple other pics with him and the FB I, but one shows the two stripes and the other has the larger solid stripe - to further confuse things!

DIqX4Mm.jpg

PHj84eo.jpg

cincyguitar

This is such an awesome thread...my next guitar...a Firebird !...of course:dude:

Bruce R

There is a photo floating around of the Firebird (allegedly) as currently on display in Europe. The description says it has the screw holes remaining from a vibrato tailpiece. I have reviewed several photos taken back in the day and see nothing of any holes behind the bridge that would indicate it once had a vibrato arm.

Has anyone heard of this before?

AA00475Bassman

Ive never seen any screw holes on any Cream photo's not to say some fool did not alter the guitar after Clapton owned it .

Telechamp

Here's a cover (guitar parts only) that I made in Garageband with a Firebird this weekend. Annoyingly, I can't get any closer to the epic swirling bridge riff (despite hours spent experimenting with various amp/cab/pedal combinations) but the rest is sort-of in the ball park (I think). Sadly, I don't have a 335 to do a comparison.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XI_jeGKQi3k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Excellent job!!!!! (Makes me realize I need to work on my version of this tune....) :hmm