• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Timbuckers Revisited

Zoso

I really liked my Timbuckers but have since found other pickups that work better in my R9. The Tim neck ended up in my Keef Tele, and I like it a lot there. The bridge is in my pickup bin, waiting for an opportunity.

Tone Seeker

The Tim neck ended up in my Keef Tele, and I like it a lot there.

Interesting. I take it that the Tele is ash or alder, and that it does NOT have a maple cap? If so, did it add some brightness in just the right place?

Terry.

RW Foster

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I finally got everything off my R9 yesterday and am going to give it a good cleaning before I put the Timbuckers in.

I'm going to wire it up to one volume pot, ala the Brian Setzer Hot Rod wiring scheme. I've never used the tone controls in any of my guitars, so I may as well take them out of the signal path. I'll leave the pots in for appearance sake.

58Lee

Just finished playing my "02 R8 with Tim's. I've never played a vintage with PAFs. However, to my ears, these Tim's sound like vintage heaven. I'll never part with them. I also have a second set that I'm considering installing in my 335.

goldtop0

Just finished playing my "02 R8 with Tim's. I've never played a vintage with PAFs. However, to my ears, these Tim's sound like vintage heaven. I'll never part with them. I also have a second set that I'm considering installing in my 335.

You're on the right track.......you don't need PAFs.
Try a PAF LP sometime and you'll see what I mean!!

58Lee

Hi Goldtop. I notice you live in Auckland? Just visited New Zealand. Beuatiful country and very nice people. Thanks for the Timbucker feedback.

goldtop0

Hi Goldtop. I notice you live in Auckland? Just visited New Zealand. Beuatiful country and very nice people. Thanks for the Timbucker feedback.

And touche. I visited the States last Oct-Nov and had a really great time with a lot of guys from this forum:2cool
Yes NZ is a really good place to live:)
The only thing I really miss this day and age is live music venues.....our population base and music scene just doesn't allow/support the venues(pubs and alike) of yesteryear:dang

Oh oh........Upper Volta is in Africa around the Ivory Coast? And I thought you were in the good ole US of A :wah

Last edited:

Zoso

Interesting. I take it that the Tele is ash or alder, and that it does NOT have a maple cap? If so, did it add some brightness in just the right place?

Terry.

It's one of the ash thin-skin '52s that were made five or so years ago. No maple cap, just the ash slab. I wouldn't say it is bright, but it's not too dark. It can get in the ballpark of the "Can You Hear Me Knockin'?" riff.

jrr

funny this post comes up....all my Tims come from post 2005(or 6?)...the first pair went into a 1989 LP Custom,'bout 2006....fabulous vintage tones.The second and third pair went into a 1990 Wine Red Standard and a 1987 Black Standard....hold on....christmas 2010...they were among the last Tims put out,about 2007/2008...had them on the shelf for a couple years...worth noteing....the pair i put into the Black Standard have higher output...they sound amazing....the guitar "blooms" when i hold a note and vibrato...the guit is helping here,wood and all that...but those tims are different too....the Wine Red standard is the the one whose tims that i've come to terms with the least,doesn't mean they are not good,just different....i'm also to blame as i haven't spent enuf time with her...none of my tims are coming out of their respective guitars however...i prefer to master what i have...:2zone ....what i've gotten from my Tim experience is,like original PAF's,Tims are somewhat inconsistant....probably the magic of scatter winding and other alchemy...

59Vampire

I just wanted to clarify my earlier post and address a comment someone had said about them not being in the right guitar. I also want to say that I have a set of Throbaks( PG-102s and have had the sles prior). I switch between the two based on preference at any particular time. In both cases, I found they need to be adjusted correctly. And by correctly, I mean what sounds best to YOU. Whne I first got the Tims, I thpought the bridge was too shrill. Tim offered to rewind and I gracefully decline. I tweaked and tweaked and found that for my guitar the key was raising the pup but lowering the poles. I think you will find the same with any pu. And to clarify further, the reason I had multiple Thros was because I needed cash and had to move them knowing I could replace them. Both equally great.

goldtop0

funny this post comes up....all my Tims come from post 2005(or 6?)... ....what i've gotten from my Tim experience is,like original PAF's,Tims are somewhat inconsistant....probably the magic of scatter winding and other alchemy...

I'd have to agree with you as my original set(2005) are of a lower output than a neck Timbucker I bought from a fellow forum member here in 2010 and a bridge pup that I got from Tim in 2006 As people have said, some of the sets were made by Tim to be a particular style wind for them...........I applaud the difference:2cool

rays44

I put a pair in my Heritage Elite. I returned the neck and asked Tim for a bit more high end. He swapped the mag and it was perfect to my ears. He never disclosed what mags he was using, so the swap could have been anything. He also returned the original mag. A real gentleman to deal with.
Shameless pics
Heritage_elite.jpg

eliteincase-1.jpg

cryptozoo

Had a couple of sets and was on the list for another when he called it a day. They weren't my favorite PAF-style pickup I've ever played, but they were decent, IIRC. Sold them and made a couple of bucks, so I can't complain.

gavindale

I have a set in my '57 Black Beauty and another set sitting in my safe. Never touched. Unwrapped the bubble plastic and noticed the solder holding the nickle cover on one side had let loose. No problem. I have no idea what to do with em. I've wanted a set of Throbaks so bad but the money just ain't there. Well GoldtopO I hope you are right and the demand rises.