NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member RW Foster's Avatar

Timbuckers Revisited

Just curious how many of you still have Timbuckers installed? I know they were the rage a few years ago. I had been on Tim's list for almost 2 years and got within a few weeks of my "due" date when he decided to fold up shop.

That being said, I just bought a pair of zebra Timbuckers from a guy on another forum for a price I felt was fair ($550). I figure if they were great then, they're still great now.

Re: Timbuckers Revisited

I'd be interested to hear more too. Zhangbucker says on his website that he got the inspiration to do the Pure Handwound buckers from unwrapping a Timbucker. High praise, I think.

I have Timbucker pickups installed on two LP for 4 years now. They sounds as great as the first day, maybe even better since the guitars have improved with years of playing... Sure thing I will never change them

According to counselor D the Yarons may be the new pickup du jour...but you have to look at the other forum for that.

Nothing wrong with Timbuckers. FYI, I had Timbucker #28 double white in the neck of an R8. For kicks, I replaced it with some very good PAFs, and the tone was nowhere near as good. So I think those Timbuckers have some real mojo.

Had a set in my R0 for years now and love them.Also have another pair that I put together over the years and will try these in my gat soon,have them in my mate's '68 currently and they sound awesome

Pups Re: Timbuckers Revisited

Have 2 bridge pups , in 2 different axes for many
    Years...Not going anywhere.
    Wood makes the difference!

I had a pair in my main axe (2002 R8). Splurged on a pair of real '61 PAF's (~ $4K). Swapped out the Tim's for the real PAF's. Bottom line, Tim's and PAF's sound remarkably similar! Hard to tell the difference. An expensive experiment only to find that Tim's are almost indiscernible from the real thing.
    Les Paul's, Marshall's, Corvettes! 'Nuff said.

Gibson: R8 '14, R9 BRZ '03, R8 '02, '89 Chet Atkins SST
    Fender: '57 Strat RI USA '82, '83, '03, '07, '05 Custom Shop
    Marshall: '71 JMP50, '80 2204, '84 2204, '88 1987S, '97 1987X WHITE, '99 JTM45, '06 2061X
    Marshall: '68 4x12 Basketweave, '74 4x12 Creambacks, '77 2x12 w/Alnico Blues, '83 2x12, '84 2x12, '88 4x12
    Fender: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '77 SFPR, '79 SFPR
    Transportation: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51, 2011 Jeep Patriot

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wizardmc View Post
    Nothing wrong with Timbuckers. FYI, I had Timbucker #28 double white in the neck of an R8. For kicks, I replaced it with some very good PAFs, and the tone was nowhere near as good. So I think those Timbuckers have some real mojo.
    Thank you for telling this. Most of the people who never played PAFs are not fully aware that best PAF clones/replicas are consistent and PAFs are not. Most of the people who have PAFs had many similar experiences and know this first hand but will never tell like you did - cause they just might be selling theirs eventually.

If you can get/loan/buy PAFs you've got to put them in YOUR LP and discount hearing them in someone elses instrument(different wood as they say).
    They work in some gats but not ALL LPs as I also found

I had a set in a R8 I recently sold. Luckily the buyer didn't want the Tims & I was able to keep them. His loss. Now to find a new home for them!

I got a set from Tim. They weren't my flavor at all. I had them in the guitar for about a week. Then sold them for a profit during the boom. The guy that got them, loved them. I didn't like the way the notes jumped out of them. They sounded good overdriven, but not clean. 90% of my playing is very clean.

My opinion is in the minority. I have read very few bad reviews.

Les Paul Forum Member Tone Seeker's Avatar

I have an earlier EdA wind. It was in my 1980 Les Paul Heritage 80 for years. I did a bunch of pickup swapping in multiple guitars a few months ago, and it was a real eye opener.

I now realize that the Tim neck pickup sounds dull in the Les Paul, whereas my set of RS/Fralin True 60's work very well. They really bring out the best in that guitar.

The Tims conversely, work very well in a slab mahogany Collings that I have. While the lower mids were too pronounced with the True 60's, the Tim's bring balance to the guitar.

I thought about selling the Tims, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm about to pop them into the Collings and give them a good workout.

As someone said earlier, it's all about the right fit.

Terry.
    "If you set out to paint a masterpiece, you will most probably fail. If you set out to paint an object you feel very passionate about, there is a good chance you may paint a masterpiece." - Renoir

Les Paul Forum Member TBurst Std's Avatar

Still have my double white Tims from coming up on 7 years ago and still loving them.
    Mark

Guitars: 79 Gibson Les Paul Std, Warmoth S Type, Godin Flat Five X, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Gretsch White Falcon, Goodall Concert Jumbo, Ovation 12 string, Lakland 55-02 Dlx Ltd

Rig: Axe-FX II, MFC-101, QSC HPR 112i, JH Audio Pro16s

Other: High Country hammered dulcimer 17/17/7

I was almost up on the list, then got the email. I was bummed, and just stuck with my '57+ bridge and BB1 neck in the old R8 and sold any boutiques I had. I got tired of the whole newest trendy pickup money pit.
    "So I let the poison go, 'cause baby I always know it'll be there for me"

I have a set of covered double whites and they were great but lost out to a set of Rick Norman's pickups in a light R7 a couple of years ago and have not made it back into any guitars since. Lazy I guess, and I actually like the burstbuckers in 2 other guitars.

In your face.

Les Paul Forum Member Heritage 80's Avatar

I've got early EdA's (if I remember #'s 29 & 30) from circa 2002 or 2003 in my H80. They're staying. Very vintage when combined with 500K pots, Black Beauty's "borrowed" from my '69 Deluxe, and 50's wiring. Very vintage sounding stuff.

Still have a set of Tim's double whites in my CR7. They're in there for the long haul. Didn't know there were any 4- conductor sets. I like

Les Paul Forum Member

Timbucker 4-conductor

I got them both direct from Tim at the time. He'd customize them however you wanted. They are EdA winds, in the very beginning he offered 2 winds. (I think the other was EdW?) I couldn't splash out for a pair at the time, but when i got round to the bridge later pup he said he's make sure it matched... he knew i was heavy into the combo tones. I started out with getting just the neck to see how Timbuckers cut the mustard... he had just come out with them at that point. (Think i waited only 2 weeks for my order.) Everyone wanted vintage-accurate looking stuff... but i needed 4-conductor for the 21 position Jimmy Page mod. I could care less about vintage looking conductor wires. Not even sure he did any other 4-conductor. i never asked.
    Last edited by tarlton; 02-15-12 at 03:07 PM. Reason: one wrong word

I have an original EdA wind from Tim with a traditional 2 conductor braided lead PLUS a wire for coil splitting. I had actually requested a 4 conductor lead, but the third wire will do the job nicely!

Terry.
    "If you set out to paint a masterpiece, you will most probably fail. If you set out to paint an object you feel very passionate about, there is a good chance you may paint a masterpiece." - Renoir

still have my double whites!
    You make me want to pick up a guitar and celebrate the myriad ways that I love you.

Les Paul Forum Member

I really liked my Timbuckers but have since found other pickups that work better in my R9. The Tim neck ended up in my Keef Tele, and I like it a lot there. The bridge is in my pickup bin, waiting for an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    The Tim neck ended up in my Keef Tele, and I like it a lot there.
    Interesting. I take it that the Tele is ash or alder, and that it does NOT have a maple cap? If so, did it add some brightness in just the right place?

Terry.

Les Paul Forum Member RW Foster's Avatar

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I finally got everything off my R9 yesterday and am going to give it a good cleaning before I put the Timbuckers in.

I'm going to wire it up to one volume pot, ala the Brian Setzer Hot Rod wiring scheme. I've never used the tone controls in any of my guitars, so I may as well take them out of the signal path. I'll leave the pots in for appearance sake.

Les Paul Forum Member

Just finished playing my "02 R8 with Tim's. I've never played a vintage with PAFs. However, to my ears, these Tim's sound like vintage heaven. I'll never part with them. I also have a second set that I'm considering installing in my 335.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lee View Post
    Just finished playing my "02 R8 with Tim's. I've never played a vintage with PAFs. However, to my ears, these Tim's sound like vintage heaven. I'll never part with them. I also have a second set that I'm considering installing in my 335.

You're on the right track.......you don't need PAFs.
    Try a PAF LP sometime and you'll see what I mean!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Hi Goldtop. I notice you live in Auckland? Just visited New Zealand. Beuatiful country and very nice people. Thanks for the Timbucker feedback.

Les Paul Forum Member

I love my double whites in my 2002 Standard!

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lee View Post
    Hi Goldtop. I notice you live in Auckland? Just visited New Zealand. Beuatiful country and very nice people. Thanks for the Timbucker feedback.

And touche. I visited the States last Oct-Nov and had a really great time with a lot of guys from this forum
    Yes NZ is a really good place to live
    The only thing I really miss this day and age is live music venues.....our population base and music scene just doesn't allow/support the venues(pubs and alike) of yesteryear

Oh oh........Upper Volta is in Africa around the Ivory Coast? And I thought you were in the good ole US of A
    Last edited by goldtop0; 02-28-12 at 09:10 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

Kind of late to the party; just came across this thread. Thought I'd share my recent post.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...=1#post2355889

Have had many pickups in my R0 and returned to what I think are the best for this guitar; some late Timbuckers.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Seeker View Post
    Interesting. I take it that the Tele is ash or alder, and that it does NOT have a maple cap? If so, did it add some brightness in just the right place?

Terry.
    It's one of the ash thin-skin '52s that were made five or so years ago. No maple cap, just the ash slab. I wouldn't say it is bright, but it's not too dark. It can get in the ballpark of the "Can You Hear Me Knockin'?" riff.

funny this post comes up....all my Tims come from post 2005(or 6?)...the first pair went into a 1989 LP Custom,'bout 2006....fabulous vintage tones.The second and third pair went into a 1990 Wine Red Standard and a 1987 Black Standard....hold on....christmas 2010...they were among the last Tims put out,about 2007/2008...had them on the shelf for a couple years...worth noteing....the pair i put into the Black Standard have higher output...they sound amazing....the guitar "blooms" when i hold a note and vibrato...the guit is helping here,wood and all that...but those tims are different too....the Wine Red standard is the the one whose tims that i've come to terms with the least,doesn't mean they are not good,just different....i'm also to blame as i haven't spent enuf time with her...none of my tims are coming out of their respective guitars however...i prefer to master what i have... ....what i've gotten from my Tim experience is,like original PAF's,Tims are somewhat inconsistant....probably the magic of scatter winding and other alchemy...

I just wanted to clarify my earlier post and address a comment someone had said about them not being in the right guitar. I also want to say that I have a set of Throbaks( PG-102s and have had the sles prior). I switch between the two based on preference at any particular time. In both cases, I found they need to be adjusted correctly. And by correctly, I mean what sounds best to YOU. Whne I first got the Tims, I thpought the bridge was too shrill. Tim offered to rewind and I gracefully decline. I tweaked and tweaked and found that for my guitar the key was raising the pup but lowering the poles. I think you will find the same with any pu. And to clarify further, the reason I had multiple Thros was because I needed cash and had to move them knowing I could replace them. Both equally great.
    You make me want to pick up a guitar and celebrate the myriad ways that I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    funny this post comes up....all my Tims come from post 2005(or 6?)... ....what i've gotten from my Tim experience is,like original PAF's,Tims are somewhat inconsistant....probably the magic of scatter winding and other alchemy...

I'd have to agree with you as my original set(2005) are of a lower output than a neck Timbucker I bought from a fellow forum member here in 2010 and a bridge pup that I got from Tim in 2006 As people have said, some of the sets were made by Tim to be a particular style wind for them...........I applaud the difference

I put a pair in my Heritage Elite. I returned the neck and asked Tim for a bit more high end. He swapped the mag and it was perfect to my ears. He never disclosed what mags he was using, so the swap could have been anything. He also returned the original mag. A real gentleman to deal with.
    Shameless pics

Had a couple of sets and was on the list for another when he called it a day. They weren't my favorite PAF-style pickup I've ever played, but they were decent, IIRC. Sold them and made a couple of bucks, so I can't complain.

In your face.

Les Paul Forum Member

$795 good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by zoommutt View Post
    $795 good luck.

+1

Put it this way, I'd be mildly surprised if they did go at that.
    Over time though these will increase in value because of rarity........in better times for sure!!

I have a set in my '57 Black Beauty and another set sitting in my safe. Never touched. Unwrapped the bubble plastic and noticed the solder holding the nickle cover on one side had let loose. No problem. I have no idea what to do with em. I've wanted a set of Throbaks so bad but the money just ain't there. Well GoldtopO I hope you are right and the demand rises.
    ​Really?