• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kel Kroydon's

gtrfinder

Anybody have one? I'm interested in them, particularly the flattop model with the birds stenciled on it? I assume that it is basically an L-00 or L-0 style with a different name, but I thought it might be cool for owners on the LPF to post them here.
Found this site with some limited info on them:

http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

I aspire to own one of the ones with birds at some point.

j45

From what I've always understood they are ladder braced as opposed to the L-00 and L-0 being X braced. I wouldn't think the Kel Kroyon would compare favorably. Some one else may know for sure but this is what I've always heard.

Purple Jay

Gibson made a lot of budget brand fretted instruments (to better survive Depression times), including Kel Kroydon's. Neil Harpe over at the vintage Stella guitar site has a refinished KK for sale right now. Not a stencil model however. These guitars are very lightly constructed and light as a feather ... it's a wonder any of them are still around.

http://www.stellaguitars.com/Kel_Kroydon_guitar.htm

apossibleworld

Here's mine. Indeed, light as a feather, and X braced. This is a high quality instrument. I don't have good enough words to describe how excellent it sounds! I think all the Kels are X braced, many of the lesser Gibson budget brands are ladder braced.

6128533307_9958b07748_z.jpg
6129081890_09bdbf5e7a_z.jpg

j45

Good info. I have a source somewhere that says they are all ladder braced. I've done business with Neil Harpe...bought a few from him. He usually has very cool stuff along these lines.

Niteshooter

Sorry to necro this thread. I just received a Kel Kroydon and can confirm it is X braced.

43363095222_b1c095aeb7_c.jpg

43363095602_25b06aa2ce_c.jpg

Frutiger

^ Nice KK-1, and with the original Geib & Schaffer case too!

One of my biggest guitar regrets is not buying a KK-2 (like apossibleworld's) when I had the chance. I foolishly thought I'd find another one that I could afford. Luckily I have a 1930 gold sparkle L-2 that fills the gap, but I'd still love one someday.

For the record, all KK-1/2/3 should be X-braced. They are also so lightly built that they weigh next to nothing and are constantly on the point of folding in on themselves. That however makes for extremely resonant, toneful instruments. These KK's are amongst the sweetest L-size guitars Gibson built. :salude

Niteshooter

Thanks for the information about the case! I suspected it could be original, came with some old capos as well, though one of them put some nasty depressions in neck. It has a number of issues, one of the braces is broken, crack running across the strap lug, back separating at one point and the neck needs a reset plus additional work to make it playable. But it is a survivor so I will likely put the money into it and have it repaired properly.

And yes those KK2's are really something special with the graphics!