The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Anyone know anything about this model 1993 Classic?

A friend bought this Les Paul Classic used at GC about 8 years ago. He knows little about it, except it may be missing the original truss rod cover with the 'number x of xxx' on it. Supposedly, it's one of a limited edition run. Anyone? Thanks ahead.

Last edited by Neal; 05-04-12 at 02:11 PM.

Re: Anyone know anything about this model 1993 Classic?

I assume it's not mentioned in Mike Slub's article? It's been a long time since I read it. Obviously, it looks like a mahogany top, would be more interesting if it was a one piece mahogany build. Maybe just an LP Custom body with P90's, to make a "limited edition" model. Have you a pic of the back of the headstock, or of any of the cavities? Obviously it's an early Classic (LP Model on headstock) which is good, although I'm wondering why you think it's a Classic in the first place?

Anyway, enough rambling - a call to Gibson with the serial number will tell you the story!

I like it

(Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

I had #116. Two piece top. Even tho yours has the snot green inlay, it's not a Classic. I added gold hardware. Funny story goes with.
    Last edited by 58Lover; 12-07-11 at 09:25 PM.

Classic71...Mike Slub's article?? Can you point me to it?

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

is it me or does that Les Paul Model decal look like its on top of the lacquer on the headstock? Like the one that said Les Paul Classic was replaced?

Just seen one on the Bay recently.
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Very nice guitar, thanks for posting!
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Classic71...Mike Slub's article?? Can you point me to it?
    If you go to the Forum Homesite page there's a link for Articles on the left hand side, lots of useful reading

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    is it me or does that Les Paul Model decal look like its on top of the lacquer on the headstock? Like the one that said Les Paul Classic was replaced?
    If you go back and read my post... this is NOT a Classic.

In late '94 (IIRC), a one piece top prototype was made to show at the upcoming NAMM Show. Being at the Sales meeting that week, when I saw it, I was pretty knocked out by it and suggested to the GM of USA at that time (Richard Head) that it should be considered as a limited run... and may I please buy this one???

Well, I did not get it (damn, because the one pc. top was a beauty), but when it did come out, it was changed to a 2 pc. top. I loved mine but had to sell it about 8 years ago. As I said, I changed hardware to gold (even the pole pieces).

The run was for 200 pieces. I would not be surprised if the majority made it to Japan.

Here's one that's on Ebay now... going for a lot more than I sold mine for...(dammit)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Gibson-...item5ae33ede30
    Last edited by 58Lover; 12-09-11 at 07:01 PM.

58Lover - Both my friends guitar and the one on ebay have ser#'s that start with 3. Could it be the meeting you attended was back in late '93? This guitar has ser# 3 48XX and the one on ebay is 3 5340. Maybe the pic doesn't show it, but my friends guitar has a 1-pc top. This week, I'm going to pull the neck pu to ck the tenon and ink stamps in the cavity.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lover View Post
    If you go back and read my post... this is NOT a Classic.

In late '94 (IIRC), a one piece top prototype was made to show at the upcoming NAMM Show. Being at the Sales meeting that week, when I saw it, I was pretty knocked out by it and suggested to the GM of USA at that time (Richard Head) that it should be considered as a limited run... and may I please buy this one???

Well, I did not get it (damn, because the one pc. top was a beauty), but when it did come out, it was changed to a 2 pc. top. I loved mine but had to sell it about 8 years ago. As I said, I changed hardware to gold (even the pole pieces).

The run was for 200 pieces. I would not be surprised if the majority made it to Japan.

Here's one that's on Ebay now... going for a lot more than I sold mine for...(dammit)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Gibson-...item5ae33ede30
    Gotcha...I was just thinking the decal on the headstock looked off...normally you don't see the edge of the decal as it is buried under lacquer...

Gotcha. It's the flash from directly in front that does that.

58Lover - Both my friends guitar and the one on ebay have ser#'s that start with 3. Could it be the meeting you attended was back in late '93? This guitar has ser# 3 48XX and the one on ebay is 3 5340. Maybe the pic doesn't show it, but my friends guitar has a 1-pc top. This week, I'm going to pull the neck pu to ck the tenon and ink stamps in the cavity.
    If it didn't come with a TRC like mine, it could be the proto. In which case I'm incredibly jealous.

Pretty sure it was '94 tho.

If it didn't come with a TRC like mine, it could be the proto. In which case I'm incredibly jealous.

Pretty sure it was '94 tho.
    58Lover....then I don't understand why the serial # starts with a 3.

Would you know of a way to identify this LP...with or without the serial#?

Sadly, no. It's been a bunch of years since I worked there, even more since those days....

But if it's a real one pc. top, I would wonder if it is the proto, as all production models came with a 2 pc. top.

As to serial #'s.... can't tell ya. When I saw the proto, it was in Oct. of the year preceding the Jan. NAMM Show that the production models came out. It was during the quarterly sales meetings that was held prior. As I started in '91, I think it was at least Oct. '93 or '94 that I saw the proto.

Mods Re: Anyone know anything about this model 1993 Classic?

...But if it's a real one pc. top, I would wonder if it is the proto, as all production models came with a 2 pc. top
    I now own this guitar and today was shocked to find serial #3 5531 on reverb- also a 1 piece top, so the only indication of prototypicality is the blank TRC.. Sadly, having contacted Gibson, their records suck balls. Either way, thanks to all you previous owners for keeping her in mint condition for me! She's been around the globe once and accrued a few dings from the baggage vandals in the last 4 years, but I strung her with tension balanced, all wound baritone strings- so even if not a prototype it's still one of a kind! ;)

Les Paul Forum Member

I own a 1994 Les Paul Classic and I was wondering what kind of tenon it has ? If I had to venture a guess I think I would say a short tenon ?

......which would you fella's opt for when it comes to badges for these great Classic models?

Precursor original is = Model then Classic later.

Last edited by Trans-Am; 06-29-18 at 12:07 PM.
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

Is it just me or does the "Les Paul Model" look like a decal?
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Yes...decals on the Classic models.
    Silk screen was never used on this model.

At least this decal is proportioned closer to vintage scaling. “Model” is on top of the G string tuner post.

Pups Re: Anyone know anything about this model 1993 Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Am View Post
    ......which would you fella's opt for when it comes to badges for these great Classic models?
    I'm happy enough with the blank one, though I'd like to know exactly where in the sequence of 200 mine was. I do like the gold "classic" script, though. Had a late-ish model goldtop one for a spell, and a "Paul II" before that- ceramic magnets have a pretty sweet bite!

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

I have one of those "1960" cream pickguards if anyone need one to bring their guitar back to original.