• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why do Collector's Choice #2 Goldies sound so incredibly outstanding?

tspoon

That's what I talking about, just play them.......

The glue thing can be discussed in another thread and let's not kick that
dead horse any longer.......

I'm like you Poon, just play the dang thing and rock.......I'm still enjoying mine......

Kinda got off tangent from the last few posts, and time to get
back on the subject......

It must be the majic dust in the lacquer that makes them sound
so good, either that, or when the SWAT team showed up last summer,
the rosewood puckered up from fear of those guys.......

poon99

Right on tspoon.....
My Goldie does not sound like any of my other historics.Even the feedback is musical!!!

624085767_2476656_1941491478_n-vi.jpg

624085767_2476759_1219688192_n-vi.jpg

poon99

I still say it is the best sounding and playing Les Paul I have ever owned.I had her hanging off my shoulders for a 3 and a half hour set last night.
gol-vi.jpg

Kanga Blue

Franklin Titebond is hide glue according to thier spec sheet.
http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=9e9995b4-08eb-4fc6-8254-c47daa20f8ed

What you linked is NOT regular Titebond glue used by most luthiers. It's Titebond's version of old Hide Glue! :salude

Additionally modern Gibsons are machine cut with large tolerances in the neck joint..... if you filled those gaps with hide glue that just wouldn't be very strong or solid. Regular Titebond is strong AF.

Maybe, just maybe the luthiers in CS custom shop hand finish or run new CC profiles on the tenon joint that have tighter tolerances? I always preferred a tight girl myself :p

Last edited:

Jwehrman

Every one of these I've seen look absolutely stunning. The color and the flame is incredible. I have yet to hear one in person, but I'm curious.

Big Al

Additionally modern Gibsons are machine cut with large tolerances in the neck joint..... if you filled those gaps with hide glue that just wouldn't be very strong or solid. Regular Titebond is strong AF.

And you know this how?

'Cause it isn't true from what I observed in the Custom Shop. The tenon/mortise joint is tight and precise.

Melodyman

Speaking of Goldies and their sound, i'm curious as to if the original Goldie had wax potted PU's? Anyone know?

Kanga Blue

And you know this how?

'Cause it isn't true from what I observed in the Custom Shop. The tenon/mortise joint is tight and precise.

I am sure they build some good guitars in the Custom Shop when they want to but the number of Les Pauls that have been disassembled by luthiers and had filler in the neck joints is very high. Of course on a tour they would make sure they show themselves in the best light. :dude:

I am sure they build some good guitars in the Custom Shop when they want to but the number of Les Pauls that have been disassembled by luthiers and had filler in the neck joints is very high. Of course on a tour they would make sure they show themselves in the best light. :dude:

Proof....pictures....

By my estimation about 10,000 Collector’s Choice guitars have been built. Comparatively very few are for sale. I love the concept and the attempt by Gibson on this line. In comparison <1800 Burst originals were built. We all know they were not all flawless coming out of production and the consistency in tone and feel could be very different among guitars built the same week.

Im just saying, it’s easy to take these shots at Gibson and hold them to some mythical unreal standard. I give them the thumbs up on Collector’s Choice.

duaneflowers

I love both of my Goldies, but I wasn't at all satisfied with the stock pups, as is often the case with virtually all of Gibson's offerings since the early '60s...

18056058_10211990811342197_3782863546363228444_o.jpg

Big Al

It was more than a tour. CNC makes for tight fit. You are guessing and making up facts to suit your fanciful suposition about tenon and glue. Nice try but nothing meaningful.

Mark Lange

my Golide feels almost as light as my Tele.
I have a number of Les Pauls since then all the way to the 2018 CS models, and the Goldie still has its own special thing going on.
special thanks to C. Daughtry for arranging the guitar many years back.

Melodyman

My Goldie sounds great, the bridge PU seems to have a bit more highs than my other gibsons.. even a string twang on the hi b and e strings when struck near the bridge. Have to roll off some tone to compensate.. But a beautiful guitar..

Two points that I wish were addressed..
Firstly, the top carver must have been on a break the day mine was done as the 'dish' effect is very shallow and not as pronounced as most other LP's we see..
Then the cutaway extends too far up the neck so that it reduces the reach for the upper frets. It begins 5 frets before the end of the neck. Most usually are 3 to 4 frets. It should be even with the pickguard as designed, but for some reason, they didnt notice this when making their exact measurements etc..Seems to have been corrected on current models tho..