The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Paul Kossoff's 'Lemon burst" folder

That's a cool outside pic with the Phase 90, never seen that before!
    Last edited by MBrown; 11-29-11 at 04:38 PM.
    - Matt

Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Koss said it was a strat. He actually uses a strat quite a bit on the Highway album.
    In addition, he uses a Strat in the "My Brother Jake" music video... I think it's the same one on the cover of his solo album but I'd have to go check that video out again to be positive.
    - Matt

Les Paul Forum Member

Koss said it was a strat. He actually uses a strat quite a bit on the Highway album.
    And there goes another teenage illusion of a certain sound and how it was made

All those years I thought I was hearing a burst. That goes to show me to never be too sure about gear and what I think I hear on a record.

Quote Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
    In addition, he uses a Strat in the "My Brother Jake" music video... I think it's the same one on the cover of his solo album but I'd have to go check that video out again to be positive.
    Its possibly the same one. Im not too sure. It very well could be the black one with the rosewood fretboard that he used on Highway. I believe they were recorded around the same time so its hard to tell. His wife Sandhe told me he got the white strat from Clapton along with his 'lemon burst' after attending a Clapton show and going backstage to hang out with him. No, im not getting that confused with the Darkburst he previously got from Clapton in trade for the Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Garincha View Post
    And there goes another teenage illusion of a certain sound and how it was made

All those years I thought I was hearing a burst. That goes to show me to never be too sure about gear and what I think I hear on a record.
    There is Les Paul on the record, just certain parts. The Stealer is definately a Les Paul. But the thinner sounding stuff like Ride On Pony, Love You So, etc etc are definately a strat.

Les Paul Forum Member

There is Les Paul on the record, just certain parts. The Stealer is definately a Les Paul. But the thinner sounding stuff like Ride On Pony, Love You So, etc etc are definately a strat.
    You mean there is a slight chance the lead bits and fills on "brother jake" are indeed a Les Paul?

Phew, I feel much better now ;)

Les Paul Forum Member Yannick333's Avatar

His wife Sandhe told me he got the white strat from Clapton along with his 'lemon burst' after attending a Clapton show and going backstage to hang out with him. No, im not getting that confused with the Darkburst he previously got from Clapton in trade for the Custom.
    So, I know Koss traded his custom for EC's darkburst but now your telling us that he got his "Lemon Burst" from him as well??

Wel now I'm speechless!

Quote Originally Posted by Garincha View Post
    You mean there is a slight chance the lead bits and fills on "brother jake" are indeed a Les Paul?

Phew, I feel much better now ;)
    No that song is all strat. I meant certain songs. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yannick333 View Post
    So, I know Koss traded his custom for EC's darkburst but now your telling us that he got his "Lemon Burst" from him as well??

Wel now I'm speechless!
    Yes thats what his wife told me. I take her word for it as she was there unlike most other people. He got it along with the white strat which im sure Clapton didnt like because of the warped neck.

Les Paul Forum Member

Here's a couple of pix from Leeds Oct 75 with John Martyn, a month after Koss 'died' for 35 mins, he looks well on the pix but they are slightly out of focus, this was done in between the two 'legs' of the BSC UK tour.

'' If the success becomes more important than the music, if the music ever becomes second to anything, then it comes to an end musically.''

Paul Kossoff 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaozUJLysA
    My version of Alright Now

Cool pics Flashriffs, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Guitarist Snuffy Walden was originally credited on the Heartbreaker album for the guitar on "Wishing Well" & "Easy On My Soul". Whoever it was on "Wishing Well", the effect on the lead guitar track was a Leslie.
    I once read that Paul Rodgers played the lead on "Wishing Well", and it seemed pretty unlikely at first, but check his playing on the track "Lady" by his 1971 band Peace (it's available on the compilation The Free Story). This was a three-piece with Rodgers on vocals and guitar. He had clearly been paying attention to what Koss had been playing and you could be forgiven for thinking it was Kossoff himself playing that guitar part. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead guitar part on "Wishing Well" had been played by either Snuffy Walden or Paul Rodgers.

What is your guys' opinions on the lead from "Come Together In The Morning" and "Heartbreaker?' Did Koss play both?
    - Matt

Its difficult for me to tell. I read it was Snuffy, Rodgers, and kirke taking turns filling in for him on that album. Im fairly sure though that i have read that he mainly contributed to 3 tracks on the Heartbreaker album. I could be wrong but i believe those three songs were Wishing Well, Heartbreaker, and Come Together In The Morning. If those are the ones and im correct, it is probably Koss then.

Quote Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
    What is your guys' opinions on the lead from "Come Together In The Morning" and "Heartbreaker?' Did Koss play both?
    Its difficult for me to tell. I read it was Snuffy, Rodgers, and kirke taking turns filling in for him on that album. Im fairly sure though that i have read that he mainly contributed to 3 tracks on the Heartbreaker album. I could be wrong but i believe those three songs were Wishing Well, Heartbreaker, and Come Together In The Morning. If those are the ones and im correct, it is probably Koss then.
    The CD reissue booklet says that Kossoff played on Come Together In The Morning, Travellin' In Style, Heartbreaker, Common Mortal Man and Seven Angels; Simon Kirke played rhythm guitar on Muddy Water and Snuffy Walden played on Easy On My Soul. That leaves the lead on Wishing Well to Paul Rodgers I suppose.
    Last edited by Ad_02Std; 11-29-11 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ad_02Std View Post
    The CD reissue booklet says that Kossoff played on Come Together In The Morning, Travellin' In Style, Heartbreaker, Common Mortal Man and Seven Angels; Simon Kirke played rhythm guitar on Muddy Water and Snuffy Walden played on Easy On My Soul. That leaves the lead on Wishing Well to Paul Rodgers I suppose.
    Thanks. Its been awhile since i read that or listened to it. I love all of Free's stuff but i mostly prefer the pre-'72 stuff.

Time for an update!! Enjoy!!

I'm not really sure about the second and the sixth pic! Where are the pickup covers?

Its the same guitar

And some more pics:

This guitar suffered a headstock break in the dim and distant past, and was repaired by scarfing a new section of neck and headstock on (the scarf is somewhere around the 4th/5th fret). I was wondering if anybody knew whether this happened whilst in Kossoff's possession? Did it coincide with the switch to Grovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ad_02Std View Post
    This guitar suffered a headstock break in the dim and distant past, and was repaired by scarfing a new section of neck and headstock on (the scarf is somewhere around the 4th/5th fret). I was wondering if anybody knew whether this happened whilst in Kossoff's possession? Did it coincide with the switch to Grovers?
    Koss broke it at Free's last gig when they broke up for the first time in '71. He was so upset about the breakup that when the set was over, he threw it in the air and let it drop. This is why when He traded with Arthur Ramm, he had to give him the sanded one first. The trade was his burst for Arthurs new late 60s Custom but when he offered, Arthur reminded him that he broke the burst. Koss then offered to let him borrow the stripped one until the burst was repaired.

Thanks!

No problem

Thanks for sharing all that info JRW! We really apreciate it! You are one knowledgeable dude!

Ah, ive just been obsessing about Koss/FREE since i was 16(im 27 now). Plenty of time to learn all that stuff. Ive made some good friends along the way who taught me alot, including Koss' wife(commonlaw actually, but they were married as far as they were concerned).

Les Paul Forum Member

Gibson has announced they will make 100 copies of this guitar complete with dings and marks and a further 150 pristine copies, the Gibson boys have been over to visit Arthur and took all the pix and measurements they need for the job, I think I'll have a pristine one, get behind me in the queue. Frank
    '' If the success becomes more important than the music, if the music ever becomes second to anything, then it comes to an end musically.''

Paul Kossoff 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaozUJLysA
    My version of Alright Now

Quote Originally Posted by flashriffs View Post
    Gibson has announced they will make 100 copies of this guitar complete with dings and marks and a further 150 pristine copies, the Gibson boys have been over to visit Arthur and took all the pix and measurements they need for the job, I think I'll have a pristine one, get behind me in the queue. Frank
    That's great.......but wouldn't it make more sense for a Kossoff signiture model to be based on the Les Paul he stripped the finish off of? When I think of Kossoff, I always associate him with that guitar.

Either way, it's nice to see Kossoff getting some of the attention he deserves.

Brian.
    "My dog Popeye doesn't speak English, but he knows tone." - Eugene S. Robinson

Amen to that. Too bad i cant afford one

Les Paul Forum Member Witchdoctor's Avatar

Hey Guys New Member Here!
    I Really like your Burst Folders Yannik, alot of pictures i've never seen before.
    How about a Joe Walsh folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
    Hey Guys New Member Here!
    I Really like your Burst Folders Yannik, alot of pictures i've never seen before.
    How about a Joe Walsh folder?
    Witchdoctor!! I'll see what I can do!!

the more from the James Gang era the better. Ive hardly seen any pics of him during that time at all, let alone with an LP.

Les Paul Forum Member Jailbreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit View Post
    That's great.......but wouldn't it make more sense for a Kossoff signiture model to be based on the Les Paul he stripped the finish off of? When I think of Kossoff, I always associate him with that guitar.

Either way, it's nice to see Kossoff getting some of the attention he deserves.

Brian.
    +1.
    It's always the stripped one I think of when I think of Koss. Isle Of Wight 1970

How about a Paul Kossoff's 'Stripped Burst' folder?
    "Is there anybody with any Irish in them?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jailbreak View Post
    +1.
    It's always the stripped one I think of when I think of Koss. Isle Of Wight 1970

How about a Paul Kossoff's 'Stripped Burst' folder?

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=177554

the more from the James Gang era the better. Ive hardly seen any pics of him during that time at all, let alone with an LP.
    I smell a challenge!!

(slaps you with a glove)

Consider yourself challenged sir! LOL

Les Paul Forum Member Jailbreak's Avatar

Oops. Missed that one. Thanks for posting.
    "Is there anybody with any Irish in them?"

No problem Jailbreak! Enjoy!

Great burst!