• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Kossoff's 'Lemon burst" folder

Ad_02Std

This guitar suffered a headstock break in the dim and distant past, and was repaired by scarfing a new section of neck and headstock on (the scarf is somewhere around the 4th/5th fret). I was wondering if anybody knew whether this happened whilst in Kossoff's possession? Did it coincide with the switch to Grovers?

JRW8214@AOL.COM

This guitar suffered a headstock break in the dim and distant past, and was repaired by scarfing a new section of neck and headstock on (the scarf is somewhere around the 4th/5th fret). I was wondering if anybody knew whether this happened whilst in Kossoff's possession? Did it coincide with the switch to Grovers?

Koss broke it at Free's last gig when they broke up for the first time in '71. He was so upset about the breakup that when the set was over, he threw it in the air and let it drop. This is why when He traded with Arthur Ramm, he had to give him the sanded one first. The trade was his burst for Arthurs new late 60s Custom but when he offered, Arthur reminded him that he broke the burst. Koss then offered to let him borrow the stripped one until the burst was repaired.

Yannick333

Thanks for sharing all that info JRW! We really apreciate it! You are one knowledgeable dude! :dude:

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Ah, ive just been obsessing about Koss/FREE since i was 16(im 27 now). Plenty of time to learn all that stuff. Ive made some good friends along the way who taught me alot, including Koss' wife(commonlaw actually, but they were married as far as they were concerned).

flashriffs

Gibson has announced they will make 100 copies of this guitar complete with dings and marks and a further 150 pristine copies, the Gibson boys have been over to visit Arthur and took all the pix and measurements they need for the job, I think I'll have a pristine one, get behind me in the queue. Frank

WheelchairBandit

Gibson has announced they will make 100 copies of this guitar complete with dings and marks and a further 150 pristine copies, the Gibson boys have been over to visit Arthur and took all the pix and measurements they need for the job, I think I'll have a pristine one, get behind me in the queue. Frank

That's great.......but wouldn't it make more sense for a Kossoff signiture model to be based on the Les Paul he stripped the finish off of? When I think of Kossoff, I always associate him with that guitar.

Either way, it's nice to see Kossoff getting some of the attention he deserves.

Brian.

Witchdoctor

Hey Guys New Member Here!
I Really like your Burst Folders Yannik, alot of pictures i've never seen before.
How about a Joe Walsh folder?

JRW8214@AOL.COM

the more from the James Gang era the better. Ive hardly seen any pics of him during that time at all, let alone with an LP.

Jailbreak

That's great.......but wouldn't it make more sense for a Kossoff signiture model to be based on the Les Paul he stripped the finish off of? When I think of Kossoff, I always associate him with that guitar.

Either way, it's nice to see Kossoff getting some of the attention he deserves.

Brian.

+1.
It's always the stripped one I think of when I think of Koss. Isle Of Wight 1970 :2cool

How about a Paul Kossoff's 'Stripped Burst' folder? :ganz

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Koss1.jpg
Koss2.jpg