• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

TM1

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the Summer Burst?
Wasn't it stolen?

Originally Stolen back in 1966/67. It's been re-necked (or a peghead grafted on..) and resides with one of the Former Burst Brothers in L.A. It's in a vault. The peghead that someone put on has a Gibson mandolin type with the scroll, but says "Cream"..

Cyphex

Originally Stolen back in 1966/67. It's been re-necked (or a peghead grafted on..) and resides with one of the Former Burst Brothers in L.A. It's in a vault. The peghead that someone put on has a Gibson mandolin type with the scroll, but says "Cream"..

Page 14-15 in Burst Believers II

El Gringo

Hi Gringo, see my post #95 where I'm pretty sure I've erred re that LP he's using in the video, see also my post #88 re the same thing.
These things take a bit of piecing together most of the time where conclusive pics and clear videos are not available(darn it all).
What I'm saying is, you may be right.
Greetings , and sha zam as in now after i concurred with you that it is a vintage Burst it might not be ? Say it ain't so ? I am now confused - no worries though as it's all good .

El Gringo

This is mind blowing for me so to get that out of the way up front . So did Beano have a headstock/neck break ? Thus the re neck or was the re neck more nefarious to cover up the theft along with the new peghead/vener that says Cream ?

goldtop0

Greetings , and sha zam as in now after i concurred with you that it is a vintage Burst it might not be ? Say it ain't so ? I am now confused - no worries though as it's all good .

I was confused there for a day or two also but the grovers versus the tulip klusons on his vintage '60 defined it for me. So now I'm thinking that he did use a Historic in the video from '94(unless someone can prove otherwise).

goldtop0

This is mind blowing for me so to get that out of the way up front . So did Beano have a headstock/neck break ? Thus the re neck or was the re neck more nefarious to cover up the theft along with the new peghead/vener that says Cream ?

The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).

bern1

The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).

Hopefully I’ll live long enough to see/hear Beano again (if it still exists.)

Whoever has it......now would be a good time for it to resurface......wait too long and those who care might not be alive to still care....or might not care any longer anyway.

If you stole it, I forgive you. I’m pretty sure EC would too.....

c_wester

The Summersburst looks like it has a very very broken headstock in almost all the Clapton pictures.
I think you can bet that it fell and that is why was he got rid of it.

goldtop0

The Summersburst looks like it has a very very broken headstock in almost all the Clapton pictures.
I think you can bet that it fell and that is why was he got rid of it.

I didn't know that and didn't notice anything in the '66 pics.
Have only ever seen the pics of it since then with the peghead headstock in the now Drew Berlin era.
:salude

JazzMuzak

Does anyone have NEW pictures of the Summer's Burst with the new headstock? I've heard all about it, but I've never actually seen it.

brandtkronholm

Does anyone have NEW pictures of the Summer's Burst with the new headstock? I've heard all about it, but I've never actually seen it.

For what it might be worth:
I think there's at least one picture of it. It is a black and white picture. The guitar is hanging on a wall along with many, many other late '50s Les Pauls with the owner/collector sitting in front. I do not remember the collector's name but he's low profile and has been a noted collector for over 30 years.

I wish I had a better recollection. I'd like to see the crazy headstock again.

Time passes: I've found it on the internet. There's a black and white picture of Perry Margouleff sitting in front of a wall of vintage Les Pauls. A Les Paul with an old Gibson mandolin style headstock is on the wall at the lower left. It may be known as the "Loar 'Burst" - which is a pretty cool name!
Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?64493-MAY-BE!!!Some-pics-of-the-Dirk-Ziff-Collection&highlight=perry+margouleff

Last edited:

Cyphex

I think there's at least one picture of it. It is a black and white picture. The guitar is hanging on a wall along with many, many other late '50s Les Pauls with the owner/collector sitting in front. I do not remember the collector's name but he's low profile and has been a noted collector for over 30 years.

Time passes: I've found it on the internet. There's a black and white picture of Perry Margouleff sitting in front of a wall of vintage Les Pauls. A Les Paul with an old Gibson mandolin style headstock is on the wall at the lower left. It may be known as the "Loar 'Burst" - which is a pretty cool name!
Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...rk-Ziff-Collection&highlight=perry+margouleff

The guitar is in Burst Believers II, page 14-15.

El Gringo

Thanks for the info and help as i was confused in regards to the Summersburst . I think it's awesome that you mention Beano being nicked ( theft sucks -no if and or buts and should be promptly prosecuted ) from a early Cream rehearsal as it was on this forum that someone else corrected me that "I " was wrong as Beano was nicked after a concert of Cream's , and all of my research said it was nicked from an early Cream rehearsal . While i am on this subject i dont understand as how some folks do not get crazy about there prized vintage Burst being stolen and want to fully go hog wild and bring the perpetrator(s) to justice ? and fully have them prosecuted ? Are folks so blase ? For example Keith Richards and some of his Les Paul's , like the Black Les Paul Custom with the painted crescent on the top , like the Richards/Taylors Burst ( i know Mick Taylor sold it for drug /get high money ) and all of the vintage Fender and Gibson , along with the Dan Armstrong Prototype Plexiglass guitars that were stolen right out from under there eyes in the Summer of 1971 in Nellecote France ?

JazzMuzak

Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...rk-Ziff-Collection&highlight=perry+margouleff

Very cool! I'd seen that picture before, but I've never heard that the one with the funky headstock was the Summer's Burst. Looks like at least the bridge pickup was swapped and the pokerchip and pickguard were put back on, if it's really the genuine article.

Is there any other evidence that THAT particular burst is the Summer's Burst, or is it conjecture?

goldtop0

While i am on this subject i dont understand as how some folks do not get crazy about there prized vintage Burst being stolen and want to fully go hog wild and bring the perpetrator(s) to justice ? and fully have them prosecuted ? Are folks so blase ? For example Keith Richards and some of his Les Paul's , like the Black Les Paul Custom with the painted crescent on the top , like the Richards/Taylors Burst ( i know Mick Taylor sold it for drug /get high money ) and all of the vintage Fender and Gibson , along with the Dan Armstrong Prototype Plexiglass guitars that were stolen right out from under there eyes in the Summer of 1971 in Nellecote France ?

The guitarisits would have wanted their LPs back for sure and would have done their very best to see that happen but when the guitars were stolen the thieves were not tracked down(to my knowledge) back then unfortunately, some may have surfaced again as with other ones that were pinched in the '70s/80s like the Montrose burst and Lucy(George Harrison's LP).
Beano is the most mysterious and unfound one so far that I know of.

Last edited:

brandtkronholm

Is there any other evidence that THAT particular burst is the Summer's Burst, or is it conjecture?

Good point - I can't say for sure it's the Summers 'Burst, but how many 'Bursts are there with that kind of headstock?

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could chime in.

El Gringo

The guitarisits would have wanted their LPs back for sure and would have done their very best to see that happen but when the guitars were stolen the thieves were not tracked down(to my knowledge) back then unfortunately, some may have surfaced again as with other ones that were pinched in the '70s/80s like the Montrose burst and Lucy(George Harrison's LP).
Beano is the most mysterious and unfound one so far that I know of.
Good points , as for example the authorities were never in a hurry to help rockers out as evidenced by the rushed investigation and conclusion reached in the death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones in early July 1969 .