The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 117 of 117
  1. #81
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sweet Home
    Posts
    1,818

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    .

  2. #82
    Les Paul Forum Member bern1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Sometimes Eric still plays a sunburst Les Paul. Though itís not a frequent occurrence and he doesnít say much about guitars or Les Pauls at all these days. I do recall him saying in an interview a while back that ďI have quite a good one nowĒ or something to that effect in regards to his current sunburst LP. It seems like he likes it enough to keep at home and Iím speculating he only plays in at the RAH or the local pub?

    Are there any good photos of his current guitar around? I think I saw it in a video of him playing Tore Down on the Cradle tour or the one after that.
    When you pick up the guitar, play it like itís the last time.
    E.C.

  3. #83
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    Sometimes Eric still plays a sunburst Les Paul. Though itís not a frequent occurrence and he doesnít say much about guitars or Les Pauls at all these days. I do recall him saying in an interview a while back that ďI have quite a good one nowĒ or something to that effect in regards to his current sunburst LP. It seems like he likes it enough to keep at home and Iím speculating he only plays in at the RAH or the local pub?

    Are there any good photos of his current guitar around? I think I saw it in a video of him playing Tore Down on the Cradle tour or the one after that.

    Here's a not so great repro pic I got of it some years ago when he had his second auction. It's a '60.
    https://i.imgur.com/q20DY5P.jpg

  4. #84

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    Sometimes Eric still plays a sunburst Les Paul. Though it’s not a frequent occurrence and he doesn’t say much about guitars or Les Pauls at all these days. I do recall him saying in an interview a while back that “I have quite a good one now” or something to that effect in regards to his current sunburst LP. It seems like he likes it enough to keep at home and I’m speculating he only plays in at the RAH or the local pub?

    Are there any good photos of his current guitar around? I think I saw it in a video of him playing Tore Down on the Cradle tour or the one after that.
    This is the last time I can recall seeing him with a burst and I think its about 10 years old. I think the one from the Cradle days might have been auctioned off but I'm guessing on that. I always figured the guitar in this video was the "Beano" reissue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LKB...EX9kzw&index=3

  5. #85
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    490

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    After viewing the links posted above, and feeling in the mood for some young fireball EC, I put "Eric Clapton 1966" in the Youtube searchbar and came up with some larky stuff.
    This version of "Stormy Monday" with Mayall is backed with a varied collection of pictures. Rough and ragged.... not much like his later careful playing.


    Shortly after he did this live version with Cream of "Meet me in the Bottom" in 1966 at some London club. Again, it's rough, but that stinging early-days EC is unmistakable and kind of leaves me agog.


  6. #86
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarshall View Post
    This is the last time I can recall seeing him with a burst and I think its about 10 years old. I think the one from the Cradle days might have been auctioned off but I'm guessing on that. I always figured the guitar in this video was the "Beano" reissue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LKB...EX9kzw&index=3
    Thanks for posting . My guess is this is a Beano reissue , with the typical dirty muddy neck pickup* , just like all of my R8's and R9's . I wish he would have torn it up with a prooper solo . Back around 1989-1992 he was the musical guest on SNL and in bewteen he was sitting in with GE Smith and the SNL Band and going into one of the commercials he was sporting a sunburst Les Paul and he was rocking out on the blues . This was a moment where i was like yes !!!!!!!!!!! * replaced with ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups on all of my Les Paul's !

  7. #87
    Les Paul Forum Member bern1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    I believe the above mentioned guitars are reissues. I am talking about a guitar that would not be for sale, that he referenced as "a really good one" (original sunburst Les Paul that he found to "replace" the stolen one.)

    I think it's possible this is the real one, in this video from 1994 RAH. Crappy video so really can't tell. Could also be a repro. Color looks consistent with a '60, looks like it has Grovers too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM
    When you pick up the guitar, play it like itís the last time.
    E.C.

  8. #88
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post

    I think it's possible this is the real one, in this video from 1994 RAH. Crappy video so really can't tell. Could also be a repro. Color looks consistent with a '60, looks like it has Grovers too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM

    Yes it's the same as the crappy pics I have of his '60.............the hardware is glistening almost like new.

  9. #89
    Les Paul Forum Member bern1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    The pic you put up looks like it is a reissue at an auction. I don't think we're talking about the same guitar. Or maybe the guitar I am thinking of doesn't exist.
    When you pick up the guitar, play it like itís the last time.
    E.C.

  10. #90
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    I believe the above mentioned guitars are reissues. I am talking about a guitar that would not be for sale, that he referenced as "a really good one" (original sunburst Les Paul that he found to "replace" the stolen one.)

    I think it's possible this is the real one, in this video from 1994 RAH. Crappy video so really can't tell. Could also be a repro. Color looks consistent with a '60, looks like it has Grovers too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM
    I would bet that this is an early issue Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul , being that it is 1994 the birth year of Gibson Custom .

  11. #91
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I would bet that this is an early issue Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul , being that it is 1994 the birth year of Gibson Custom .

    You'd be wrong in thinking that.............pure conjecture on your part........you're going to have to dig deeper and find out for yourself.

  12. #92
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sweet Home
    Posts
    1,818

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    I believe the above mentioned guitars are reissues. I am talking about a guitar that would not be for sale, that he referenced as "a really good one" (original sunburst Les Paul that he found to "replace" the stolen one.)

    I think it's possible this is the real one, in this video from 1994 RAH. Crappy video so really can't tell. Could also be a repro. Color looks consistent with a '60, looks like it has Grovers too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM
    I froze the video in several places where he was facing the camera and focused on the tailpiece and knobs and I don't think it's a burst, but could be wrong.

  13. #93
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    You'd be wrong in thinking that.............pure conjecture on your part........you're going to have to dig deeper and find out for yourself.
    Point me in the direction where i should dig ? I just re watched the clip and it is a blur as the burst still has good color and that was why i said it's a newer instrument versus a vintage one .

  14. #94
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Point me in the direction where i should dig ? I just re watched the clip and it is a blur as the burst still has good color and that was why i said it's a newer instrument versus a vintage one .
    Back in the '80s/90s I was hot on the trail of EC's guitars and amps, wanted to see if he would ever pick up a LP again, then in '92 saw a small pic in a guitar magazine of him using his recently acquired '60, this was at the time of his SLO 100 stint(a few players were using them back then). I've got the blown up pic here at home so will get it reduced down and post it.
    The not so good pic I posted above #83 of him with the '60 shows that it is/was quite shiny........and supports the fact that the '60 LPs retained the colour.
    Check his equipment usage history for the info.

  15. #95
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    I believe the above mentioned guitars are reissues. I am talking about a guitar that would not be for sale, that he referenced as "a really good one" (original sunburst Les Paul that he found to "replace" the stolen one.)

    I think it's possible this is the real one, in this video from 1994 RAH. Crappy video so really can't tell. Could also be a repro. Color looks consistent with a '60, looks like it has Grovers too.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1ks8mL9OM

    I'm going to go back on what I've said above about the LP in this vid being his '60......................I don't think it is as this one has Grovers(shiny) and his actual '60 has the usual tulip tuners as in this later pic https://i.imgur.com/q20DY5P.jpg


    Also,here is the pic of his '60 taken in '91 or 92 that I saw in a guitar mag. The first time I can remember seeing him use a LP since Cream's farewell tour of the US in late '68.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrTvLVQ.jpg

  16. #96
    Les Paul Forum Member bern1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Thanks for posting the pics GTO.

    I still think, assuming itís the real thing, that it is strange for that guitar to be on display at an auction where he is selling stuff. (If heís not selling it.)
    When you pick up the guitar, play it like itís the last time.
    E.C.

  17. #97
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics GTO.

    I still think, assuming it’s the real thing, that it is strange for that guitar to be on display at an auction where he is selling stuff. (If he’s not selling it.)

    To be honest with you I don't know what he sold in those Crossroads Antigua auctions other than Blackie and Brownie(that I think he's holding in the pic) plus there are one or two slightly better pics of his '60 on the net taken at the same time as my pic was taken.

  18. #98
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    Back in the '80s/90s I was hot on the trail of EC's guitars and amps, wanted to see if he would ever pick up a LP again, then in '92 saw a small pic in a guitar magazine of him using his recently acquired '60, this was at the time of his SLO 100 stint(a few players were using them back then). I've got the blown up pic here at home so will get it reduced down and post it.
    The not so good pic I posted above #83 of him with the '60 shows that it is/was quite shiny........and supports the fact that the '60 LPs retained the colour.
    Check his equipment usage history for the info.
    I really appreciate all of these wonderful details and i stand corrected . This morning i find this video on You Tube that is called Eric Clapton's Summer Burst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK7gRnHZ2A with Bob Wooten and what a coincidence as this video has been very informative for me in regards to speaking about the Tomato soup color and possibly having been over sprayed and this corrects my previous incorrect thinking that a Les Paul that has a lot of color has to be a reissue . I do know that the lacquer that Gibson sprayed in 1960 was different than what they used on the 58 and 59 Bursts , as the 58's and 59's color faded and Gibson changed the formula for the lacquer they sprayed with in 1960 . So then the performance of Eric Clapton being the musical guest on SNL around 1990-1992 when he also sat in with GE Smith and the SNL band and when they went to commercial break EC was sitting in with them and tearing it up on a Sunburst Les Paul could have been this guitar in the clip posted here that i incorrectly identified as a first year 1994 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul was wrong on my part . So much knowledge that is shared and learned here make this such a wonderful and resourceful site ! For which i can never learn enough about my favorite passion . So interesting that you reference the Soldano SLO 100 as EC tones was magnificent during this period going thru the Marshall cabinets , i don't know if the cabs were loaded with Greenbacks ( which would be my guess , or were they Vintage 30's ? ) A really great amp in it's own right that has tons of tone and gain if you like that sort of thing . This is what it is all about for me on the Les Paul Forum - such wonderful knowledge on our favorite guitars . Thank You Very Kindly for sharing this knowledge with me !

  19. #99
    Les Paul Forum Member Billy Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    1,090

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I really appreciate all of these wonderful details and i stand corrected . This morning i find this video on You Tube that is called Eric Clapton's Summer Burst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK7gRnHZ2A with Bob Wooten and what a coincidence as this video has been very informative for me in regards to speaking about the Tomato soup color and possibly having been over sprayed and this corrects my previous incorrect thinking that a Les Paul that has a lot of color has to be a reissue . I do know that the lacquer that Gibson sprayed in 1960 was different than what they used on the 58 and 59 Bursts , as the 58's and 59's color faded and Gibson changed the formula for the lacquer they sprayed with in 1960 . So then the performance of Eric Clapton being the musical guest on SNL around 1990-1992 when he also sat in with GE Smith and the SNL band and when they went to commercial break EC was sitting in with them and tearing it up on a Sunburst Les Paul could have been this guitar in the clip posted here that i incorrectly identified as a first year 1994 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul was wrong on my part . So much knowledge that is shared and learned here make this such a wonderful and resourceful site ! For which i can never learn enough about my favorite passion . So interesting that you reference the Soldano SLO 100 as EC tones was magnificent during this period going thru the Marshall cabinets , i don't know if the cabs were loaded with Greenbacks ( which would be my guess , or were they Vintage 30's ? ) A really great amp in it's own right that has tons of tone and gain if you like that sort of thing . This is what it is all about for me on the Les Paul Forum - such wonderful knowledge on our favorite guitars . Thank You Very Kindly for sharing this knowledge with me !
    Please see post #77 as this started /resurrected this thread and referred to the Guitar Show video with Bob Wooten.

    See also my previous thread were I stated that the flame looks different to that in the B & W Summers picture and that they didn't show the control cavity
    Youíre never alone with a schizophrenic

  20. #100
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I really appreciate all of these wonderful details and i stand corrected . This morning i find this video on You Tube that is called Eric Clapton's Summer Burst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK7gRnHZ2A with Bob Wooten and what a coincidence as this video has been very informative for me in regards to speaking about the Tomato soup color and possibly having been over sprayed and this corrects my previous incorrect thinking that a Les Paul that has a lot of color has to be a reissue . I do know that the lacquer that Gibson sprayed in 1960 was different than what they used on the 58 and 59 Bursts , as the 58's and 59's color faded and Gibson changed the formula for the lacquer they sprayed with in 1960 . So then the performance of Eric Clapton being the musical guest on SNL around 1990-1992 when he also sat in with GE Smith and the SNL band and when they went to commercial break EC was sitting in with them and tearing it up on a Sunburst Les Paul could have been this guitar in the clip posted here that i incorrectly identified as a first year 1994 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul was wrong on my part . So much knowledge that is shared and learned here make this such a wonderful and resourceful site ! For which i can never learn enough about my favorite passion . So interesting that you reference the Soldano SLO 100 as EC tones was magnificent during this period going thru the Marshall cabinets , i don't know if the cabs were loaded with Greenbacks ( which would be my guess , or were they Vintage 30's ? ) A really great amp in it's own right that has tons of tone and gain if you like that sort of thing . This is what it is all about for me on the Les Paul Forum - such wonderful knowledge on our favorite guitars . Thank You Very Kindly for sharing this knowledge with me !

    Hi Gringo, see my post #95 where I'm pretty sure I've erred re that LP he's using in the video, see also my post #88 re the same thing.
    These things take a bit of piecing together most of the time where conclusive pics and clear videos are not available(darn it all).
    What I'm saying is, you may be right.

  21. #101
    Les Paul Forum Member TM1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom
    Posts
    7,944

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockmapletop View Post
    Does anyone know the whereabouts of the Summer Burst?
    Wasn't it stolen?
    Originally Stolen back in 1966/67. It's been re-necked (or a peghead grafted on..) and resides with one of the Former Burst Brothers in L.A. It's in a vault. The peghead that someone put on has a Gibson mandolin type with the scroll, but says "Cream"..

  22. #102
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Evenskjer, Norway
    Posts
    29

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Originally Stolen back in 1966/67. It's been re-necked (or a peghead grafted on..) and resides with one of the Former Burst Brothers in L.A. It's in a vault. The peghead that someone put on has a Gibson mandolin type with the scroll, but says "Cream"..
    Page 14-15 in Burst Believers II

  23. #103
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    Hi Gringo, see my post #95 where I'm pretty sure I've erred re that LP he's using in the video, see also my post #88 re the same thing.
    These things take a bit of piecing together most of the time where conclusive pics and clear videos are not available(darn it all).
    What I'm saying is, you may be right.
    Greetings , and sha zam as in now after i concurred with you that it is a vintage Burst it might not be ? Say it ain't so ? I am now confused - no worries though as it's all good .

  24. #104
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Originally Stolen back in 1966/67. It's been re-necked (or a peghead grafted on..) and resides with one of the Former Burst Brothers in L.A. It's in a vault. The peghead that someone put on has a Gibson mandolin type with the scroll, but says "Cream"..
    This is mind blowing for me so to get that out of the way up front . So did Beano have a headstock/neck break ? Thus the re neck or was the re neck more nefarious to cover up the theft along with the new peghead/vener that says Cream ?

  25. #105
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Greetings , and sha zam as in now after i concurred with you that it is a vintage Burst it might not be ? Say it ain't so ? I am now confused - no worries though as it's all good .

    I was confused there for a day or two also but the grovers versus the tulip klusons on his vintage '60 defined it for me. So now I'm thinking that he did use a Historic in the video from '94(unless someone can prove otherwise).

  26. #106
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    This is mind blowing for me so to get that out of the way up front . So did Beano have a headstock/neck break ? Thus the re neck or was the re neck more nefarious to cover up the theft along with the new peghead/vener that says Cream ?

    The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
    Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).

  27. #107
    Les Paul Forum Member bern1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
    Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).
    Hopefully Iíll live long enough to see/hear Beano again (if it still exists.)

    Whoever has it......now would be a good time for it to resurface......wait too long and those who care might not be alive to still care....or might not care any longer anyway.

    If you stole it, I forgive you. Iím pretty sure EC would too.....
    When you pick up the guitar, play it like itís the last time.
    E.C.

  28. #108
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,021

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
    Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).
    The Summersburst looks like it has a very very broken headstock in almost all the Clapton pictures.
    I think you can bet that it fell and that is why was he got rid of it.

  29. #109
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by c_wester View Post
    The Summersburst looks like it has a very very broken headstock in almost all the Clapton pictures.
    I think you can bet that it fell and that is why was he got rid of it.

    I didn't know that and didn't notice anything in the '66 pics.
    Have only ever seen the pics of it since then with the peghead headstock in the now Drew Berlin era.

  30. #110

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Does anyone have NEW pictures of the Summer's Burst with the new headstock? I've heard all about it, but I've never actually seen it.

  31. #111

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak View Post
    Does anyone have NEW pictures of the Summer's Burst with the new headstock? I've heard all about it, but I've never actually seen it.
    For what it might be worth:
    I think there's at least one picture of it. It is a black and white picture. The guitar is hanging on a wall along with many, many other late '50s Les Pauls with the owner/collector sitting in front. I do not remember the collector's name but he's low profile and has been a noted collector for over 30 years.

    I wish I had a better recollection. I'd like to see the crazy headstock again.

    ...

    Time passes: I've found it on the internet. There's a black and white picture of Perry Margouleff sitting in front of a wall of vintage Les Pauls. A Les Paul with an old Gibson mandolin style headstock is on the wall at the lower left. It may be known as the "Loar 'Burst" - which is a pretty cool name!
    Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...rry+margouleff
    Last edited by brandtkronholm; 10-28-20 at 10:38 AM.

  32. #112
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Evenskjer, Norway
    Posts
    29

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    For what it might be worth:
    I think there's at least one picture of it. It is a black and white picture. The guitar is hanging on a wall along with many, many other late '50s Les Pauls with the owner/collector sitting in front. I do not remember the collector's name but he's low profile and has been a noted collector for over 30 years.

    I wish I had a better recollection. I'd like to see the crazy headstock again.

    ...

    Time passes: I've found it on the internet. There's a black and white picture of Perry Margouleff sitting in front of a wall of vintage Les Pauls. A Les Paul with an old Gibson mandolin style headstock is on the wall at the lower left. It may be known as the "Loar 'Burst" - which is a pretty cool name!
    Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...rry+margouleff
    The guitar is in Burst Believers II, page 14-15.

  33. #113
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The Summersburst and Beano are two different LPs......... both owned by EC back in '65/66.
    Beano came first in '65 and was stolen in July '66 at the time of an early Cream rehearsal, it didn't have a neck or headstock break, but the Summerburst that he owned after that did(however I don't know when the damage occurred, but it was after he owned it).
    Thanks for the info and help as i was confused in regards to the Summersburst . I think it's awesome that you mention Beano being nicked ( theft sucks -no if and or buts and should be promptly prosecuted ) from a early Cream rehearsal as it was on this forum that someone else corrected me that "I " was wrong as Beano was nicked after a concert of Cream's , and all of my research said it was nicked from an early Cream rehearsal . While i am on this subject i dont understand as how some folks do not get crazy about there prized vintage Burst being stolen and want to fully go hog wild and bring the perpetrator(s) to justice ? and fully have them prosecuted ? Are folks so blase ? For example Keith Richards and some of his Les Paul's , like the Black Les Paul Custom with the painted crescent on the top , like the Richards/Taylors Burst ( i know Mick Taylor sold it for drug /get high money ) and all of the vintage Fender and Gibson , along with the Dan Armstrong Prototype Plexiglass guitars that were stolen right out from under there eyes in the Summer of 1971 in Nellecote France ?

  34. #114

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    For what it might be worth:
    I think there's at least one picture of it. It is a black and white picture. The guitar is hanging on a wall along with many, many other late '50s Les Pauls with the owner/collector sitting in front. I do not remember the collector's name but he's low profile and has been a noted collector for over 30 years.

    I wish I had a better recollection. I'd like to see the crazy headstock again.

    ...

    Time passes: I've found it on the internet. There's a black and white picture of Perry Margouleff sitting in front of a wall of vintage Les Pauls. A Les Paul with an old Gibson mandolin style headstock is on the wall at the lower left. It may be known as the "Loar 'Burst" - which is a pretty cool name!
    Link: (scroll down) https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...rry+margouleff
    Very cool! I'd seen that picture before, but I've never heard that the one with the funky headstock was the Summer's Burst. Looks like at least the bridge pickup was swapped and the pokerchip and pickguard were put back on, if it's really the genuine article.

    Is there any other evidence that THAT particular burst is the Summer's Burst, or is it conjecture?

  35. #115
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,882

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    While i am on this subject i dont understand as how some folks do not get crazy about there prized vintage Burst being stolen and want to fully go hog wild and bring the perpetrator(s) to justice ? and fully have them prosecuted ? Are folks so blase ? For example Keith Richards and some of his Les Paul's , like the Black Les Paul Custom with the painted crescent on the top , like the Richards/Taylors Burst ( i know Mick Taylor sold it for drug /get high money ) and all of the vintage Fender and Gibson , along with the Dan Armstrong Prototype Plexiglass guitars that were stolen right out from under there eyes in the Summer of 1971 in Nellecote France ?

    The guitarisits would have wanted their LPs back for sure and would have done their very best to see that happen but when the guitars were stolen the thieves were not tracked down(to my knowledge) back then unfortunately, some may have surfaced again as with other ones that were pinched in the '70s/80s like the Montrose burst and Lucy(George Harrison's LP).
    Beano is the most mysterious and unfound one so far that I know of.
    Last edited by goldtop0; 10-28-20 at 02:39 PM.

  36. #116

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak View Post
    Is there any other evidence that THAT particular burst is the Summer's Burst, or is it conjecture?
    Good point - I can't say for sure it's the Summers 'Burst, but how many 'Bursts are there with that kind of headstock?

    Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could chime in.

  37. #117
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,463

    Re: Eric Clapton's "Summers burst" folder

    Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The guitarisits would have wanted their LPs back for sure and would have done their very best to see that happen but when the guitars were stolen the thieves were not tracked down(to my knowledge) back then unfortunately, some may have surfaced again as with other ones that were pinched in the '70s/80s like the Montrose burst and Lucy(George Harrison's LP).
    Beano is the most mysterious and unfound one so far that I know of.
    Good points , as for example the authorities were never in a hurry to help rockers out as evidenced by the rushed investigation and conclusion reached in the death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones in early July 1969 .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!




i