• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

52-59 Conversion, Amazing 2 piece Plain Top

sharq attaq

don't know if it's a '50s neck or not, but the FB looks like it is.

...to me.

......in pictures.

latestarter

Any chance of a headstock face photo boogieongtr? Again, thanks for taking the time post this.

keef

That bridge plug is frikkin unbelievable! Almost too bad it will be routed.

boogieongtr

Today I'll work on the neck. Instead of using shims I'll glue a solid piece of mahogany to the neck. (The shims in the pic are from the guitars reneck)
NeckShim1.jpg

I use LMI luthiers glue that dries crystal hard like hide glue for the repair.
NeckShim2.jpg

Repair made to neck tenon.
NeckShim3.jpg

I need to change the 1952 neck angle of 2.8 to a burst angle of 4 degrees. I use the angle of my 1960 burst as my guideline.
NeckAngle.jpg

Here is a jig I made so I can use a small router and a straight cut pattern bit.
NeckAngle1.jpg

Making the new angle.
NeckAngle2.jpg

Here is the neck fit right from my jigs. I'll do a final fit later.
NeckAngle3.jpg

A perfect 4 degree burst angle.
NeckAngle4.jpg

Zoomer

Awesome work --- thanks for the pictures - this is one of the reasons I love this place so much !!

boogieongtr

For the final fit of the neck I use a 2 step process. Step one, sand the neck with 100 grit sand paper glued to a piece of maple.
FitNeck1.jpg

Final sand with 150 grit
FitNeck2.jpg

Dry fit looks good.
FitNeck3.jpg

I'll also do a few repairs to the body. The end of the body was sanded way out of profile.
BodyRepair.jpg

I glued a piece of mahogany to the body.
BodyRepair2.jpg

I used a piece of flat grain mahogany to the end grain of the body for a good bond.
BodyRepair1.jpg

And for my trademark. I use a mahogany plug where the 3 holes from the old trap tailpiece.
EndPlug1.jpg

Plug sanded.
EndPlug2.jpg

I want to make sure the radius on the back of the body is even so I use a 3/16" radius bit and touch it up.
RadiusBody.jpg

marshall1987

Sure is nice having the right tools around... :salude

Roger that. And utilizing custom jigs, tools, and pieces of quality "filler" wood elevates this project to the expert level. I commend your professional woodworking skills and talent that enables you to pull off a restoration project like this. Simply amazing. I can't wait to hear a final tone report on the finished guitar.

:3zone

Electric Lloyd

Incredible work & documentation, Boogie! Are you a pattern maker? Your jigs & tools combined with your thoughtful approach are first rate!:applaude

boogieongtr

Incredible work & documentation, Boogie! Are you a pattern maker? Your jigs & tools combined with your thoughtful approach are first rate!:applaude

No, but after 28 years of woodworking you learn a few things along the way.

Before glueing in the neck I'll clean up the binding a bit with some 400 gritt sandpaper. From this:
CleanBinding1.jpg

To this:
CleanBinding2.jpg

Next up I'll glue the neck in using hot hide glue and a clamping jig I made. The jig allows me to apply pressure to the end of the neck into the mortise as well as downward pressure to the neck into the mortise.

GlueNeckIn001.jpg

I also use 6 degree shims under my clamps that apply pressure into the neck mortise. IMOP this is the most important joint of a LP so I go to great lengths to get a perfect fit and great glue job.

GlueNeckIn002.jpg

J.D.

Really cool documentation.

I've seen you do the tailpiece square plug previously and was, and still am, curious as to why you chose to not use circular dowels in each individual hole?

JIMI55LP

Where did you get the block that you mortised into the end to cover the ground channel?

MWR

Just amazing work and care! :salude :salude :salude

boogieongtr

I've seen you do the tailpiece square plug previously and was, and still am, curious as to why you chose to not use circular dowels in each individual hole?
I started doing this on my conversions and offered to my customers as an option. IMOP I like the square plug instead of 3 dowels.

Where did you get the block that you mortised into the end to cover the ground channel?
From so mahogany I got in the 80's.