• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jeff Beck's "Yardbird" burst

Zinc Alloy

I've always thought the same thing. Even with a Marshall Supa to thicken things a bit. I've tried with my MKII, and it doesn't quite get there. Normal input perhaps?

Joe gets quite close with a Sola Sound MKII - note how he rolls down the volume on the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=turUXRC1ZYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJoIzPsUBM

Some of the Supa Fuzzes/Tone Benders that Sola Sound made had 0.015µF caps instead of 0.01µF, which makes them a lot thicker sounding.. No idea what was inside Becks pedals, though.

Last edited:

rialcnis

Never seen this great thread before! Wish all those photos would open...

Lots of speculation few of them know, the Soul of the Yardbirds was created ...in some bizarre space.

Here a 1966 video, terrible image but that is the Yardbirds burst. Looks like a Dark Bourbon burst. Was this rhe obe stolen from Jbgroup tour? Or did beck strip this?

I know this was what he was using at Catalina Show in 1966. And used on Roger the Engineer...

This video needs you to click on open in youtube link. Beck and Page

rialcnis

I think I finally figured out that Yardbirds burst, was not the same guitar that was stolen from Beck in 1969....He had purchased that, apparently in 1968.

This Yardbirds burst I guess, from reading this thread, was stripped during repairs but appeared onstage and used occasionally. Jeff apparently purchased the 1954 Oxblood at some point.

I sounds like all that explosive, radical creativity, in 1965 and 1966. during 100's of tour shows a year, came to a breaking point.

grimlyflick

I also noticed Beck's selector switch is always in the middle position, kind of strange.
Why is that strange? Middle position, bridge on 10, neck on 7 is where I spend nearly all my time. Loads of great tones to be had from the middle position, you’re missing out if you sit on the bridge pickup mostly.
😊👍