• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1974 Gibson EDS-1275

alschnier

I picked this up on Ebay earlier this year.

849c9128.jpg

serial # & pots date to 1974. has (4) T-Tops, early Kluson strip tuners on the 12 str. neck. the tuners on the 6 str. neck are metal tulip buttons, but look like they were replaced at some point in time. not sure what would've been on here (maybe 3 on a strip, metal button Klusons?)

now, here is the cool thing - Gibson shipping totals for 1974 show only 1 EDS-1275 going out the door that year. this guitar, technically, was not a production model for several years (from late '60s until about approx. 1977). so, as best as I can tell, I may have that one.

There is another '74 on ebay, that has been on there for almost a year (how do people keep relisting indefinitely w/o recurring fees?). his is listed @ $17k (!), but he didn't check the pot codes for me - so I'm not sure if there's another, or it's just a matter of Gibson's serial number confusion.

I posted this to share, but also get some feedback. anyone know anything more about these? or this one? alex lifeson? don felder? :hee

6571ceff.jpg

27d31a06.jpg

018bb882.jpg

more pix here: http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/alschnier/1974%20Gibson%20EDS-1275/

ant_riv

Congratulations!

I don't know anything specific about it either, except it is probably too heavy for an old guy like me!

:salude

alschnier

thx guys! hope to hear back from Gibson shortly, re: any details on this one...

here's a pic of some "heavy lifting" :headbange

alschnier74eds1275.jpg

alschnier

Just heard back from Jon Sutherland @ Gibson Cust. Svc (very helpful, BTW) -

"Hi Al,

I hope you’re having a good week, and very nice 1275!!! Unfortunately, we do not have serial number records or shipping ledgers from the 1970’s, so we are unable to tell the specifics(ship date, original dealer, owner, etc..). However, judging by the pot codes and serial number, this does indeed appear to be THE 1974 model!! I have attached information on the model for your viewing. If you have any questions, let me know!!"

So I'm left wondering (& just asked Jon) - why is there a published "Gibson Shipping Totals" book, if they do not have these records? (he may be referring to the shipping ledger - I inquired about my '56 LP, & he sent me a photocopy of their handwritten shipping ledger from that era showing my guitar had shipped out to Wurlitzer Music).

also, if there is supposedly one 1275 from 1974, why is there another one for sale on ebay? (although that seller has not verified pot codes, AFAIK).

this is the one sheet he attached (from 1978):
EDS1275.jpg

along w/ these specs:

EDS-1275: 12 string and 6 string necks, double pointed cutaway, hollow body with maple back and sides and carved spruce top, no soundholes, 2 humbucking pickups for each neck, 2 knobs for each neck, 1 switch for treble side, 1 switch on bass side, 1 switch between bridges, tune-o-matic bridges, triple bound top and back, 24 3/4" scales, bound rosewood fingerboards, double parallelogram inlay, no peghead ornament, sunburst, white or black finish.
Introduced (custom order only): 1958
SG shape solid mahogany body, double pointed cutaways, beveled edges, 4 knobs on lower treble bout, 1 switch between tailpieces, 1 switch on upper treble bout: 1962
Discontinued (110 shipped): 1968
Reintroduced, decal logo sunburst, walnut or white finish: 1977
Walnut, white or cherry sunburst finish: 1982
Longer headstock on 12 string nick, heritage cherry finish optional, cherry sunburst discontinued: 1987
Gold plated hardware with Alpine white finish: mid 1988
Historic collection model: 1991
Returned to regular line: 1995
Still in production

Gold Tone

Cool!!

How do the neck line up? It doesn't matter at all but I find that 99% of these have the 12 string neck pulling forward just slightly even with truss rod adjustment (as you would expect with double the tension and a single truss rod).

Also, because they are set by hand and fit by hand, the neck angles are just slightly different also.

The necks also don't lie in exactly the same plane (looking at the boards) again as you would expect from hand fitting.

Just one more of the hand made quirks of these fantastic guitars!!

I love the EDS-1275. The 6 string side plays and sounds remarkably good and the 12 string side is the fastest and easiest to play electric 12 of any I have played.

Three13

An exceptionally cool guitar - good to see that it is being used...

Rev.WillieVK

VERY cool guitar! :dude: :yah :dude:

Interesting that Gibson claims not to have the serial number records or shipping ledgers from the 1970’s - I was under the impression that the late-'50s Burst Era ledgers were the only missing ones. I can see why somebody might want to steal the Burst ledgers (fanatically valuable/collectable guitars) - why would somebody steal the '70s ones?

Three13

Maybe it was all the solidbody ledgers through a certain date, and not just the ones from the 50s?

Al - do you live in Buffalo still?

alschnier

just in from JS @ Gibson...

"Sorry for the delay. We do have the totals up to 1978/79, just not the physical ledgers that show where/when each guitar was shipped. We do have many from the 50’s and 60’s though (in case you have any others you’d like me to check out). I’ve seen other 1275’s with 1974-1975 serial numbers, but the pot codes dated to 1975 and late 1974. Thanks, and I hope this helps!!"

also, in response to my question about the missing ledgers from late '50s...

"This is true. The solidbody ledgers from 59/60 are gone. Most of the 60’s ledgers are still around, and many of the ledgers from 1950-mid 1958 too."

edso12

I picked this up on Ebay earlier this year.

849c9128.jpg

serial # & pots date to 1974. has (4) T-Tops, early Kluson strip tuners on the 12 str. neck. the tuners on the 6 str. neck are metal tulip buttons, but look like they were replaced at some point in time. not sure what would've been on here (maybe 3 on a strip, metal button Klusons?)

now, here is the cool thing - Gibson shipping totals for 1974 show only 1 EDS-1275 going out the door that year. this guitar, technically, was not a production model for several years (from late '60s until about approx. 1977). so, as best as I can tell, I may have that one.

There is another '74 on ebay, that has been on there for almost a year (how do people keep relisting indefinitely w/o recurring fees?). his is listed @ $17k (!), but he didn't check the pot codes for me - so I'm not sure if there's another, or it's just a matter of Gibson's serial number confusion.

I posted this to share, but also get some feedback. anyone know anything more about these? or this one? alex lifeson? don felder? :hee

6571ceff.jpg

27d31a06.jpg

018bb882.jpg

more pix here: http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/alschnier/1974 Gibson EDS-1275/

I also have a walnut colored eds-1275 which I believe is 1974. I think the shipping totals are wrong.
My serial number is 480xxx and is inside of an impressed oval. There is no "made in the usa" on the headstock.
I can see part of the number on one of my POTS and it starts with 137743 then obscured. This indicates 1974 as well.
I found one that sold on guitarpoint.de that had the same style serial number.
Either the shipping info is wrong or they completed more guitars in 1974 and just didn't ship them out the door till 1975

VamboRool

Just heard back from Jon Sutherland @ Gibson Cust. Svc (very helpful, BTW) -

"Hi Al,

I hope you’re having a good week, and very nice 1275!!! Unfortunately, we do not have serial number records or shipping ledgers from the 1970’s, so we are unable to tell the specifics(ship date, original dealer, owner, etc..). However, judging by the pot codes and serial number, this does indeed appear to be THE 1974 model!! I have attached information on the model for your viewing. If you have any questions, let me know!!"

So I'm left wondering (& just asked Jon) - why is there a published "Gibson Shipping Totals" book, if they do not have these records? (he may be referring to the shipping ledger - I inquired about my '56 LP, & he sent me a photocopy of their handwritten shipping ledger from that era showing my guitar had shipped out to Wurlitzer Music).

also, if there is supposedly one 1275 from 1974, why is there another one for sale on ebay? (although that seller has not verified pot codes, AFAIK).

this is the one sheet he attached (from 1978):
EDS1275.jpg

along w/ these specs:

EDS-1275: 12 string and 6 string necks, double pointed cutaway, hollow body with maple back and sides and carved spruce top, no soundholes, 2 humbucking pickups for each neck, 2 knobs for each neck, 1 switch for treble side, 1 switch on bass side, 1 switch between bridges, tune-o-matic bridges, triple bound top and back, 24 3/4" scales, bound rosewood fingerboards, double parallelogram inlay, no peghead ornament, sunburst, white or black finish.
Introduced (custom order only): 1958
SG shape solid mahogany body, double pointed cutaways, beveled edges, 4 knobs on lower treble bout, 1 switch between tailpieces, 1 switch on upper treble bout: 1962
Discontinued (110 shipped): 1968
Reintroduced, decal logo sunburst, walnut or white finish: 1977
Walnut, white or cherry sunburst finish: 1982
Longer headstock on 12 string nick, heritage cherry finish optional, cherry sunburst discontinued: 1987
Gold plated hardware with Alpine white finish: mid 1988
Historic collection model: 1991
Returned to regular line: 1995
Still in production

Hate to nitpick, no I don't, but instruments have output jacks, amps have input jacks.