• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Elliot Easton

This guitar is a collaboration between Robert Kantor,
http://www.kantorguitars.com/
and my friend, artist, Disney animator and muscian Chris Reccardi.
www.reccardi.com

I've been a fan of Chris' artwork for a while now. I collect it and we've become friends. So, when Robert Kantor made the unbelievable off to do his thing on one of my guitars, I couldn't really refuse! As you'll see, Robert's art involves inlaying thousands of Swarovsky crystals to create an artistic effect. Maybe some of you saw his work in the recent issue of "Guitar Aficionado". You've gotta check out both of these guys' websites, I think Chris is the business. His stuff is futuristic but from the '60's-check him out for a cool ride. So anyway, Robert asked me what I had in mind for the artwork and my idea was to go 'psychedelic tiki'. I sent him a bunch of artwork for inspiration, including some of Chris Reccardi's work. Robert then suggested that I call Chris and ask him to design the artwork for the guitar, something I would never have had the nerve to do on my own. To my surprise, Chris was into the idea and this collaboration has resulted in a one of a kind work of playable art. I had Rudy's in NYC install Lollar Imperials, new pots, caps and wiring and I had already installed TonePros hardware.
So, here is a photo essay of the creation of this guitar. It may not be for everybody but it's hard not to at least appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this thing!

a line drawing of a lefty SG provides the 'canvas'
Screen_shot_2011-07-11_at_103214_PM.png

Here's the artwork That Chris created especially for the guitar. I love the way he uses the natural shapes that are part of the guitar, and that it's meant to be seen as held in the playing position so that the Tiki's head is upright!
get-attachmentaspx.jpg

This is a bit out of squence, but here you can see the application of the crystals over the artwork that has been painted onto the guitar:
R-72111_5.jpg

R-7-22-2011_005.jpg

Robert Kantor with the finished guitar:
Elliots_Ax.jpg

The guitar makes it to my home! Behind me you can see two other examples of Chris Reccardi's work-see why I love his stuff?:salude

P1030170.jpg

Relaxing by the pool...

P1030176.jpg

a close up
P1030186.jpg

To be continued on the next post...

Last edited:

Elliot Easton

Here is the original artwork and Robert's recreating it on the actual guitar:
Elliot_Rendered_full.jpg

Full body close-up (sorry for my crappy photography):
P1030177.jpg

another body close-up, better shot:
Easton_top_strung.jpg

it's hard to convey in photos how amazing Robert's work is. Not all of the crystals have the same value of brilliance and using these tools, he creates shadow and dimension. It's just incredible.
Here's a detail of the crystal work. Can you imagine how many thousands of them are on there???!!!???
Easton_knobs_done.jpg

He even stoned the Gibson logo!
P1030187.jpg

Relaxing in my studio
P1030189.jpg

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed my little photo essay; you sure don't see one of these every day so I wanted to share the zaniness! :jim

Last edited:

cjp54

Looks wonderful!
Nicely done!!
A real piece of Art!!!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Nobi

WOW, amazing and unique guitar.

Thats really a great piece of art.
How does she sounds now? I bet she shines ;)

Texas Blues

I like it better without the glitter but still pretty dang cool senor Easton.

getchar()

It would be great to see stage with the reflecting in all directions.

The speed of sound in this case equals the speed of light!

Bassbob

Brilliant. I reckon this is a "One off" so the only chance of seeing it under stage lights is if you tour with it. How likely is that?

Great pictures too, considering you are a guitar player. :salude

Patrick Ginnaty

Cool lookin'! Classic 57s or RS True 60s? RS wiring kit?

I love the project threads, like this, and the RS Sweet Cherry thread.

Nihon Jim

Congratulations, that is a beautiful guitar. :salude

Is it intended to be a piece of art seeing only occasional play? I'm wondering how well the crystals will hold up during use.

Again, gorgeous guitar! :jim

Cheers,
Jim

D'Mule

Wow! That is outstanding craftsmanship, and creativity. I really did it.

I've got to believe that is too nice to bang around on, on tour. But how cool to put this up on the wall for display, but then pull down and play when you get the urge?!

Now go work on a custom painted Marshall half-stack or Vox combo to go with it.

DoubleBoogie

That is seriously cool Elliot!! :salude That is one of the most unique guitars I have ever seen. Normally I don't go for this kind of stuff, but that one is different. Has he done other guitars like that but with different themes? Also, does it feel a little strange on the hand and arms with the crystals instead of smooth wood?

L

loufed52

Very cool SG Elliot.
A personalized work of art is always interesting; even more so when it combines two separate types of art.

Elliot Easton

That is seriously cool Elliot!! :salude That is one of the most unique guitars I have ever seen. Normally I don't go for this kind of stuff, but that one is different. Has he done other guitars like that but with different themes? Also, does it feel a little strange on the hand and arms with the crystals instead of smooth wood?

check his other guitars at the link i posted in my first post.