• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Overseas travel with your vintage Gibson?

Prototype

It's not a problem until you get stopped and questioned.

If you travel without the proper documentation, then you risk inspection and confiscation. I would say the risk of problems is much higher with an obviously non-antique instrument that does contain Brazilian Rosewood since undocumented wood from the post-ban years seems to be the focus of the laws.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
How about the feds confiscating the 3 lefty bursts in Fla. for that ponzi scheme and selling 2 (1959 and a 1960) at the Heritage action?

It was in Texas, not Florida. I think they only found the two that were later sold.
And what does it have to do with flying across international borders with Brazilian rosewood? :hmm

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
I don't take guitars on the plane. I drive; though these days my gigs are local. I do have good friends who fly outside the USA with their guitars. Some vintage (braz) and some not. What I hear is rather than any concern of traveling with undocumented braz is allowing the guitar to be carried on the plane at all.... versus being checked.

hoss

The German scare of 2012 is long over and looking back it was probably just a negative hype created by a couple of individuals.

During that time I have shipped vintage guitars for friends from the US to Germany via Austria (port of entry). No problems.

Last edited:

Hardrockmapletop

I'm flying internationally in September with a '59 345 and a Martin OM28GE Brazilian.
I'm carrying sales receipts only, and both guitars will be checked.
I'll let you know how it goes...:hmm

Nickcha

My LP is in a Calton case. I carry it to the gate and attempt to board with it. That way if I have to gate-check it with the baby strollers, no worry, I know it'll be safe.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The German scare of 2012 is long over and looking back it was probably just a negative hype created by a couple of individuals.

That's not what I have heard, from several vintage dealers in Germany.
I know I have lost some sale to Germany this year because of the laws against vintage guitars with Brazilian rosewood. :)

herryjerry

Old stuff should simply be grandfathered in, as is commonly said. No reason for rebuffing proprietors of anything made before these bargains (which I support) were authorized. Joe,that wild west similarity is clever, you're joking, isn't that so?