• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Seymour Duncan SH-5? Anyone familiar with them?

wicked1

Got one in a trade but I'm not familiar with them. Love the Duncans, just wondering if the "PAF on steroids" description is close to accurate.

Looks interesting but not in a hurry to put it in a guitar unless I hear something encouraging, ya know? :salude

Thanks!!

1fastdog

Got one in a trade but I'm not familiar with them. Love the Duncans, just wondering if the "PAF on steroids" description is close to accurate.

Looks interesting but not in a hurry to put it in a guitar unless I hear something encouraging, ya know? :salude

Thanks!!

You can put it in and decide if it works for your ear in a particular guitar. Ceramic magnet, I have never been really pleased with a ceramic mag pickup, but you own one and can give it a go and off it if necessary.

It might match up with a really warm guitar. For me, they sound a bit brash. YMMV

I wouldn't put one in a guitar with an ebony neck.

jpap

I have it on my Black LPC since 2007 and it was a "never look back" swap. However, the "PAF on steroids" promise is valid in a way that emphasizes upper mids and delivers instant mid 70's (hard) rock sound... Along with Ants and Seths, the best Duncan I've ever tried. Very good are also the A2 & A5 versions (SH-11 & 14, resp.). I have the SH-11 (Custom Custom, A2) on the bridge of my 336 and it blew away the OEM 57 classic...

wicked1

Interesting. I may have to take the plunge and check it out. I don't hear much about them.

sickboy79

Duncan Custom - I've got one in a Yamaha Pacifica USA 1. I dig it. It's very much a PAF on steriods. In this guitar - it's very warm and has a big beefy tone. Great for really pushing an amp hard. I'm a big fan! Can't speak for how it sounds in an LP though.

Last edited:

spidey

I think that's the pup schenker used until his signature pups were released.

59Vampire

Is this the custom 5? I hate that duncan assigns names and part numbers. I have a custom 5 whiuch is a custom custom with an alnico 5 in a mahog bodies music zoo san dimas charvel. I'm not a fan. Its too smooth in my opoinion

DonP

Is this the custom 5? I hate that duncan assigns names and part numbers. I have a custom 5 whiuch is a custom custom with an alnico 5 in a mahog bodies music zoo san dimas charvel. I'm not a fan. Its too smooth in my opoinion

No it's not the Custom 5. It's the Custom - the original Custom.

wicked1

Well, I popped the pickup into my Ibanez RG550 with a '59 in the neck. It sounds pretty awesome and a big improvement over the stock pups.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a "PAF on steroids" but it's quite good on its own merits. Great 2&4 position out of phase sounds. Thanks to all for chiming in.:salude

zombiwoof

You could also experiment with different Alnico mags in place of the ceramic if you wanted to check out the differences.

Al

Dave G

The Custom 5 has an alnico 5 magnet.
The SH-5 is the same PU with a ceramic magnet.

I recently installed a Custom 5 in my Hamer Artist and it is definitely "smooth".
It's a dark sounding PU which makes it sound smooth.
It lacks the crunchy aggressiveness of the Duncan 59 BUT in split mode it just KILLS. Sounds like a great P90. That's the real secret of the Custom 5.