• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I've Got A Feeling.....

billys

I know last weeks' Paul McCartney Montreal shows came up in another thread, but I gotta say the July 27th gig was one of the best rock shows I have seen in a LONG time and wanted to share a couple pics. We lucked into some nice (4th row) seats which put us about 20 feet back from Sir Paul.

The burst first appeared for I've Got A Feeling.....

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

His singing was spot on, and the band was killin'. Abe Laboriel played drums like nobody's business, and in some ways the most impressive feat was that the band executed the backup vocal arrangements to a "T" on tough songs like "Something" & "Ob-La-Di". And kudos to Paul for keeping it all so stripped down: no backup singers, no horns, no percussionist, no strings, no distractions.

Here's a nice vintage Gibson moment....the three of them trading licks near the end of the show with Paul rockin' pretty hard, during the "Golden Slumbers Medley"....

IMG_0505.jpg

3 hours and 37 of some of the best tunes known to man. Overall, an AMAZING display of chops, heart, & soul. It does not get any better than this in 2011 IMHO.

And Rusty's blonde 335 looking and sounding pretty sweet:

IMG_0459.jpg

K

Kim R

I'm impressed; I don't know how else to express it.

I was born in 1956, and grew up with the Fab Four, the Stones, and then, those who followed. I haven't always favored the "pop" tunes, but I think that it's disingenuousis to ignore what Paul McCartney has contributed to the musical landscape that we enjoy. And notwithstanding this, the man is impressive - today - in his own right.

This fellow undoubtedly understood more about the studio and the live gig [forty years ago] than one's average "idol" will ever conceive. And, he's still delivering it.

McCartney is an exceptional musician.

++

billys

Yes, a consummate pro in every sense of the word. The reality is that he has more money than anyone could ever spend in a lifetime, and within 8 bars it becomes incredibly apparent why he's there and it does not let up until 3 hours have gone by: the man loves every minute of it. What is funny is that people like Springsteen are always revered (rightly so) for their marathon shows. But Paul does it in his own way, and I don't know anyone else who can make 20,000 people feel like they are sitting in his living room.

Here's a funny clip from that show before they riffed on Foxy Lady which he dedicated to JH. Paul talks about going with the other Beatles & Clapton to check out Hendrix in London 2 days after Sgt. Pepper came out. JH covered Sgt Pepper that night and I guess was looking for some help tuning his guitar....... funny comment about "all these guitars" too...

I'm impressed; I don't know how else to express it.

I was born in 1956, and grew up with the Fab Four, the Stones, and then, those who followed. I haven't always favored the "pop" tunes, but I think that it's disingenuousis to ignore what Paul McCartney has contributed to the musical landscape that we enjoy. And notwithstanding this, the man is impressive - today - in his own right.

This fellow undoubtedly understood more about the studio and the live gig [forty years ago] than one's average "idol" will ever conceive. And, he's still delivering it.

McCartney is an exceptional musician.

++

Last edited:

keef

First single I ever bought (and still the best) was Honky Tonk Women when I was eight. First Beatles one was Long and Winding Road, a year later (my allowance was 15c per week, and EPs were two bucks).

About thirty years later I finally went to a Stones concert. That was pretty nice, but somehow forgettable. Then I saw Macca live a few years later with his current band. A totally incredible experience that got me choking many times -the best concert I've ever been to out of those hundreds, with Brian Wilson doing Smile live as no 2.

Any Beatles fans should do everything they possibly can in order to see these guys live. Take out a loan, rob a bank - it's definitely worth it.

Jim W

Saw him at Wrigley Field in Chicago last Sunday, gotta agree. Great shape, actually seemed to be in better voice than the 2005 show here, band sounded great as well.

TomGuitar

Billy, your post has inspired me to see him. Never been a huge fan, but have always had nothing but respect for the man. Now I gotta go.

Thanks for the post.

J.D.

Do yourself this favor, Tom. You will not regret it for a second :jim

billys

Hey Tom -

If you are not floored, I'll reimburse you for tix! It will be among the best shows you've seen in the last 10 or more years. It hits on so many levels, even if one is not a PM fan, per se (ie - lots of us prefer Lennon's writing and attitude, George's playing and songwriting etc.....) But the songs are so iconic, and even playing a full 3 hour show he leaves so many songs un-mined. And his choice to stick with this same band for 10+ years is huge cause the audience gets all of the vibe of a well oiled rock 'n roll band combined with the tunes & his singing with its unmistakable R&B roots.

And....I can't think of a show where you will see/hear more vintage guitars including a burst, a '57 GT, two early 335's and a host of other interesting vintage axes other than maybe T Petty :)

PS - do whatever you can to sit close to the stage.

Billy, your post has inspired me to see him. Never been a huge fan, but have always had nothing but respect for the man. Now I gotta go.

Thanks for the post.

JIMI55LP

We saw him in 1993 at the Super Dome in New Orleans 4th row floor stage right, and I remember the seats were 45.00 bucks per! Wow, just priced floor section B at more than 3 times that and a trip to Houston!! Loved the show and the wife and I were both too young in 1963 to attend the Beatles show at City Parks stadium. We waited a life time to see one of the Fab Four return, it was well worth the wait! The show will not let you done.

frickengruvin1

I saw Paul in 2001 in Vegas, and just recently again in SF this past May. He is a freak of nature being able to sing in the same key as he did when originally releasing the songs he perfoms.
His shows are without a doubt the most emotional shows I have ever attended, and both rate in my top 10 for the best I've ever seen, and I've been to hundreds....
There are three generations of folks attending (I'm in the middle generation). Real interesting fodder to speak with folks who were a part of Beatlemania. I'm pretty well informed about Beatlemania, but description fails to encapsulate the emotion those four lads produced.
I whole heartedly advise to see him if you have the chance. Truly a show you will not forget!

snag

Appears as though this tour has ended. Does anyone know if more tours are planned?