• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Specific Les Paul playing tips

The more I dig into my LP, the more I realize why some of my fave players played the way they did. I'm finding that the "Joe Pass" way of 2 and 3-note chords works best, and that full chords sometimes get woofy. Anybody else find this?

I'm also finding I can't do the drone string thing I like to do with my Strat as well. Again, woofy.

Any other overall differences in your technique when you play a LP vs. say a Strat? It'd be nice to see a good list :)

Black58

A proper set-up, geared specifically for that Lester, sounds to be in order. .. Perhaps, a small part change, here or there, too; If necessary. ... I enjoy the big chords and the drone-string thang, too (check out "Skitso" in my site below, that one's all drone and big chords!); And after almost 20 years of playing/setting up/tweaking these particular guitars, there really hasn't been a one that I couldn't get to steer/drive the way I need it to! .. Of course, it isn't going to sound/do exactly what the Strat does (and why the HELL would ya want it to!? :wah), but there's NO reason why ya shouldn't be able to do those thangs ya wanna do, on it. :jim