• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neutering the Neutrik Locking Jack

Bluebeard

I've searched the forum for a posting of this link but came up empty. So...

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2590

This page has been referenced a few times but I have yet to see it posted. Anyway I performed this mod this morning. In less than ten minutes I went from locking to stress free.

It still looks exactly the same, and the red tab still functions with just as much tension, only it has no effect on your plugged in cable. The lock-less jack feels like it's ever so slightly less snug than the average jack, but with a right-angle cable run under the strap as so many of us do, that con becomes nil.

So there you go. If this is a repeat I'm sure I'll be informed.
Enjoy.

reswot

Couldn't one just remove the jack and plate in order to replace them with proper (i.e., plastic plate and Switchcraft jack) components?

That way, you could keep the original in case someone else ever wanted that god-awful monstrosity on their guitar.

I'm just not sure that the jack was a problem that needed fixing~!

Bluebeard

Couldn't one just remove the jack and plate in order to replace them with proper (i.e., plastic plate and Switchcraft jack) components?

That way, you could keep the original in case someone else ever wanted that god-awful monstrosity on their guitar.

I'm just not sure that the jack was a problem that needed fixing~!

Absolutely! They fit too, over the recessed neutrik "pocket" in the wood. I'll bet you could even hawk the neutrik to the right party if yer new string fund is running low.

Personally my "proper" jacks always loosen and it drives me nuts. I'm keeping the neutrik housing, I like the lack of lose-to-tight pieces, just a personal glitch.

J T

Are you kidding?

Why?

Replacing the jack is faster and easier than doing all that.

Sheesh!

reswot

In my 29 years of playing Les Pauls, I've never had a single jack loosen; they certainly haven't always loosened.

What are you doing to them? :)

Bluebeard

Hah I love the fervor.
It's a perfect situation for me personally - I always fiddle with metal parts, always. OCD. Nothing to fiddle with and loosen with the neutrik, but man that locking mechanism was a specific pain.
I can imagine this mod is only specific to a very marginal group. I'm usually marginal hah.

J T

Futzing around is what we do best here. Little things like this are nice little tidbits to keep in mind. But I still would just swap out the jack. I can do that fairly quickly now. Here is a patch bay I made for myself. All neutrik jacks

DSCN0353.jpg

Sure you can just buy these things, but I just wanted to do it myself.

Last edited:

cjpivonka

I neutered the Neutrix locking jack on my 2009 Les Paul.
Remove the jack plate with the jack still in the plate. Don't pull it out too far.
Remove the Torx screw (# T8 torx) in the side of the jack, and slide the assembly out just far enough to remove the red locking tab and the tiny spring that was connected to it.
Reassemble and put the Torx screw back in the jack assembly and put it back on the guitar.
The jack now behaves just like a normal 1/4" guitar jack.