• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy Page - Les Paul sound from the 2007 rehearsals

re3541

I believe there are some close up pics showing that the Marshalls were on standby the entire show.

I have heard the same rumor but never seen any evidence that they were on standby the entire time. But I have heard that the used only the Orange custom for the whole set.

Heritage 80

I know that they used Jason for sentimental reasons, and I'm not saying he's not a good drummer but he ain't his dad. I still think they'd have done way better with Abe Laboriel Jr. He's as close to JB as I've ever heard in terms of dynamics, feel and power.

abeLaboriel3.jpg

re3541

i wonder if #2 would have seen so much use if not for the extent of altered tunings across the set list?

Page typically never used it for so many songs in one set, right?

I think you are definitely correct. The #2 was used sparingly with Zeppelin -- I mean, it made its live debut in 1975, and it was only used for Kashmir and sometimes for Dazed and Confused that year. I dont think it was used that much on the 1977 tour or after.

At the o2 I think it had to be used more often because of the alternate tuning of #1. You would think that Page would have used the #1 LP for Since I've Been Loving You, but given that they wanted to do the song in the correct tuning, the #2 was the next best choice.

jimmyace2006

I think you are definitely correct. The #2 was used sparingly with Zeppelin -- I mean, it made its live debut in 1975, and it was only used for Kashmir and sometimes for Dazed and Confused that year. I dont think it was used that much on the 1977 tour or after.

At the o2 I think it had to be used more often because of the alternate tuning of #1. You would think that Page would have used the #1 LP for Since I've Been Loving You, but given that they wanted to do the song in the correct tuning, the #2 was the next best choice.

I think it would have been interesting to see him play his signature Page #1 (1 of 26) from 2004. It probably has a closer tone to the real thing than Page #2.

Ed A

So was it entertaining? I don't expect that they would have been at the same level as 1975. Everyone has obviously lost a step. But if it was a pretty good show, I think I might want to get that DVD.

More than entertaining, it was awesome.... As far as being 'entertained', I would dare say it was more entertaining than '75.... Having seen them live in '72, '73, '75 and '77 I can tell you it was quite different... Let me put it in perspective.... the O2 version of Led Zeppelin could not touch 70s Zeppelin on any level really. And back then I didnt know anyone as fanatical about the band as me. There is nothing like the real deal, but very honestly I enjoyed the O2 show more than the '75 show for a few reasons.... First off in '75 I was disappointed. The '72 show I saw was unfucking real in every sense of the word... All four of them were on top of their game. And the last night at the garden in '73 was a quite a good one as well.... By '75 in my opinion they were declining as a band. Yes the great Physical Grafitti was fairly new and Kashmir was intense, but lets face it, Plant was horrible in comparison and Jimmy was beginning to slip from his peak in '72/'73.... Dont get me wrong, I worshiped them and I still was losing my mind just to be in the same building as them but as far as the show goes, it didnt blow my mind.... On the other hand the O2 show was tremendous simply because, for one, they played very well for a bunch of old dudes. They werent necessarily great, but they played well and I wasnt particularily expecting that (especially Plant).... But considering the history of the previous decades (Page's continuing decline in health and playing in the 70s, Plants aging and solo career that went in any direction but zeppelin) you couldnt help but be blown away that they were together again for this one night in '07 and really giving their all!..... When I saw the Cream reunion it was like watching a lounge act version of the original.... But with the Zep reunion, even if their ability wasnt the same as the early 70s, thier energy level WAS!..... The buzz in the O2 arena was off the charts, you couldnt help but be entertained...

nevizzzy

I was there too and it was a great gig. Not the best gig I've been to but still great. Page's sound really was a bit too fizzy from the floor. Kashmir was incredible, highlight of the show for me.

jimmyace2006

More than entertaining, it was awesome.... As far as being 'entertained', I would dare say it was more entertaining than '75.... Having seen them live in '72, '73, '75 and '77 I can tell you it was quite different... Let me put it in perspective.... the O2 version of Led Zeppelin could not touch 70s Zeppelin on any level really. And back then I didnt know anyone as fanatical about the band as me. There is nothing like the real deal, but very honestly I enjoyed the O2 show more than the '75 show for a few reasons.... First off in '75 I was disappointed. The '72 show I saw was unfucking real in every sense of the word... All four of them were on top of their game. And the last night at the garden in '73 was a quite a good one as well.... By '75 in my opinion they were declining as a band. Yes the great Physical Grafitti was fairly new and Kashmir was intense, but lets face it, Plant was horrible in comparison and Jimmy was beginning to slip from his peak in '72/'73.... Dont get me wrong, I worshiped them and I still was losing my mind just to be in the same building as them but as far as the show goes, it didnt blow my mind.... On the other hand the O2 show was tremendous simply because, for one, they played very well for a bunch of old dudes. They werent necessarily great, but they played well and I wasnt particularily expecting that (especially Plant).... But considering the history of the previous decades (Page's continuing decline in health and playing in the 70s, Plants aging and solo career that went in any direction but zeppelin) you couldnt help but be blown away that they were together again for this one night in '07 and really giving their all!..... When I saw the Cream reunion it was like watching a lounge act version of the original.... But with the Zep reunion, even if their ability wasnt the same as the early 70s, thier energy level WAS!..... The buzz in the O2 arena was off the charts, you couldnt help but be entertained...

I have a couple of comments. For one, I thought 1975 was their peak. 72-73 they were coming into their peak. And 77 was the decline, mostly due to Page's drug use that year. I have the DVD they released about 5-6 years ago. It has some really good stuff from 1975. In My Time Of Dying is phenominal; and when I first saw that one, I wanted to quit playing my guitar, knowing I could never do what Page did in that song. It was tight. I thought they improved in 79 (compared to 77) with In Through The Out Door, the song writing and performances, maybe not as good as 71-75, but they seemed to have matured. Anyway, my point was that I thought they reached their peak in 75, then began to slide after that tour. Maybe the night you saw them it was just an off night?

My second comment has to do with your comment about "Page's continuing decline in health"......? I have never heard of any health problems. In fact, the Gibson rep who has worked with Jimmy over the last 8+ years and is now friends with him has told me the Page has changed a lot of things & tends to take pretty good care of himself now. What declining health issues are you referring to?

CSwanston21

Another gripe with this show that I have was the FOH mix. Arguably the biggest concert event of the decade and the sound mix was absolutely pathetic. Those guys had no clue whatsoever.

My reaction exactly.

I also have a problem with the lows and lack of mids. You could tell a bass guitar was being played but couldnt really make out the notes unless you knew exactly what JPJ was going to play. The floor tom drums sounded terrible too. Jason Bonham might as well have pounded on a 55 gallon pickle barrell, it would have made no difference. And this over-emphasized low coming from the drums completely buried Page's guitar at times.

The sound just didnt mesh. It was as if the FOH mix was set up for a mediocre heavy metal band. I was embarrassed FOR the sound guys. To cap it all off, there was consistent feedback coming from the vocal mic all night long.

These knuckleheads are ruining more good blues and rock shows with the super low EQ. It robs the bass of tone and melody, and it buries everything under the bass, kick and tom. It's a joke. They should never let anybody who has ever done FOH for a hip-hop or metal show near a blues or rock show. JPJ had to be pissed to listen to the recording and hear the lifeless, toneless rumble that should have been the cool, defining riff in Dazed and Confused.

Ed A

I have a couple of comments. For one, I thought 1975 was their peak. 72-73 they were coming into their peak. And 77 was the decline, mostly due to Page's drug use that year. I have the DVD they released about 5-6 years ago. It has some really good stuff from 1975. In My Time Of Dying is phenominal; and when I first saw that one, I wanted to quit playing my guitar, knowing I could never do what Page did in that song. It was tight. I thought they improved in 79 (compared to 77) with In Through The Out Door, the song writing and performances, maybe not as good as 71-75, but they seemed to have matured. Anyway, my point was that I thought they reached their peak in 75, then began to slide after that tour. Maybe the night you saw them it was just an off night?

My second comment has to do with your comment about "Page's continuing decline in health"......? I have never heard of any health problems. In fact, the Gibson rep who has worked with Jimmy over the last 8+ years and is now friends with him has told me the Page has changed a lot of things & tends to take pretty good care of himself now. What declining health issues are you referring to?

Sorry I didnt make myself more clear... I was referring to his declining health in the 70s, specifically drug and alcohol abuse... Jimmy is in great shape healthwise now.... I was making the point that with all that happened to Zep in the late 70s and beyond and everything I had invested personally into the band and my devotion to that band, that it was an amazing thing to be there at the O2 for the last hurrah..... As far as '75 goes, well yes you are also right that they were much better at Earls Court in May (the DVD) than they were in early Feb. at the Nassau Coliseum when I saw them... It is well documented that Jan. and Feb. '75 were some of the worst shows of their career.... they did improve as the tour went on.... but in my opinion I really feel they peaked in '73.... Jimmy's playing in '75 was still really good but I just dont think (and Im not the only one) that it was on the level of '73.... and most people agree that the '75 tour was Plant's worst... But hey we all have our opinions... Im guessing Im a lot older than you and I got hardcore into Zep when they only had four albums out... So for me personally 1970 to 1972 Zep will always be my favorite years.... As great as '73 was if I could go back in time Id rather relive the Sept. 1970 show at the Garden any day of the week.... That band in 1970 was almost a completely different animal than the 1975 Zeppelin... but then again that is what made them so great, they were ever evolving...

Flogger

I'm another that feels that 71-73 were their peak live years. I have a 72 bootleg where all of a sudden Page is sweep picking. It's the only example that I have of it. Don't forget that Page was playing with a busted left ring finger on the 75 American tour.

re3541

My reaction exactly.

These knuckleheads are ruining more good blues and rock shows with the super low EQ. It robs the bass of tone and melody, and it buries everything under the bass, kick and tom. It's a joke. They should never let anybody who has ever done FOH for a hip-hop or metal show near a blues or rock show. JPJ had to be pissed to listen to the recording and hear the lifeless, toneless rumble that should have been the cool, defining riff in Dazed and Confused.

Couldn't agree more. Sound guys are way more into putting their own signature stamp on the FOH mix and doing it "my way" instead of doing what's best for each band's unique needs.