• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Late 70's T-Tops vs replacement PAF types

mistercoffee1

I've recently had a chance to compare my 79 Norlin Custom (which has late 70's T-Tops, 500k Pots except bridge volume which is 300k) with another Les Paul with Lollar Imperials (all 500k pots).

I noticed that the guitar with the Lollars seemed to have a more full sound in the neck pickup (more lows, less mids), as well as more chirp in the middle position.
My guitar with the T-Tops seemed more focused in the mids.

My question is: Is that just the nature of the late T-Tops? Are they just more mid focused with less lows and less of a full sound?
How would they compare to other PAF types, such as Antiquities, Seths, etc?

I realize they were also two different guitars, so it's not easy to make that generalization. I'm hoping to get anyone's insight who may have made the comparison.

Hamerfan

i have 79 T-Top (dated baseplate) and a Lollar bridge bucker. These are totally different pickups from different sides of the A5 vintage bucker direction. The T-top is made with poly wire with a strong mag while the has PE wire and degaussed mag. The T Top makes are great neck with a clear response and highs. In the bridge spot it is cutting but thin IMO.
The Lollars are always full and warm and have a recessed ability to cut with a full band. Hence i liked in my 335 clone, made it fuller sounding.

mistercoffee1

So it seems to be a little of both then, with the Lollars and the T-Tops?
I've noticed that the T-Tops don't sound as chirpy with the Neck + Middle pickups selected, and I wondered if that was the pickups, or that I have a 300k pot in the bridge volume. It was even less so with a 300k in the neck volume, but it cleared up with the 500k pot; I've just been hesitant to switch the bridge pot as I've heard the T-Tops can sound thin with that combination.

Hamerfan

I would not go with a 500k for T-Top in Bridge, but i would not go with T-Top in Bridge either.