• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

It's back!!!(57 conversion content)

Red Baron

Doesn't [or didn't] Larry Carlton have one? :hmm

I'm not sure... but from what I understand he and Robben Ford have used the same '57 at different times and if that's the guitar you're referring to I wasn't aware if it had been converted. :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I'm not sure... but from what I understand he and Robben Ford have used the same '57 at different times and if that's the guitar you're referring to I wasn't aware if it had been converted. :hmm

Either that one is, or someone tried to sell one and claimed it was the one they used [I forgot the Robben Ford connection].

But in all likelyhood there are several 57/57 conversions. :2cool

Yunpac

Alright, I'll say it. That ageing and checking does not look very realsitic.

Yeah, the top looks ok, but the headstock (front and back) look like someone quickly sliced across it with a boxcutter.

The color on the top and darkback look good!

'Before' or 'After', I'd be thrilled with either.

The removed tuners were Schallers, by the way, with a "G" for Gibson.

RAB

OUTSTANDING and congratulations. I am also a fan of Gord's artistry and continue to enjoy (and gig!) the '56 LP Standard to all cherry red and PAF conversion Gord did for me last year. The finish is going on one year old now and, as Gord notes, looks nicer and nicer as it matures. Further, I swear the guitar "breathes" better and is more reasonant...so it not only LOOKS but SOUNDS SWEET!

59gibson

OUTSTANDING and congratulations. I am also a fan of Gord's artistry and continue to enjoy (and gig!) the '56 LP Standard to all cherry red and PAF conversion Gord did for me last year. The finish is going on one year old now and, as Gord notes, looks nicer and nicer as it matures. Further, I swear the guitar "breathes" better and is more reasonant...so it not only LOOKS but SOUNDS SWEET!

Thanks & congrats with your 56:salude. I'm sure is does sound better after Gord's finish has been curing for a while. I suspect mine will too.:jim

burstman59

Fred could this possibly be my old goldtop I owned in the 80s ? It had Gibson stamped Schallers on it and someone had ingraved a stamped the ser # 7 7790 or something similar to that on the back of the headstock. I traded it to Guitar Trader in NJ in around 82 or 83.

burstman59

Probably not the same guitar as Ive seen the ser #. Whats weird is the ser # was stamped just like this one. Tim Kummer told me he thought the guitar had been sent back to Gibson in the 60s and had the neck refinished and they stamped the ser # in like that.

59gibson

Fred could this possibly be my old goldtop I owned in the 80s ? It had Gibson stamped Schallers on it and someone had ingraved a stamped the ser # 7 7790 or something similar to that on the back of the headstock. I traded it to Guitar Trader in NJ in around 82 or 83.

Gary,

How are you?

What else do you remember about it? Had it already been converted to humbuckers? I purchased it from Elderly Instruments last June. Don't any more about its history.:wah

burstman59

Gary,

How are you?

What else do you remember about it? Had it already been converted to humbuckers? I purchased it from Elderly Instruments last June. Don't any more about its history.:wah

Fred, I remember I had bought a brand new Standard 80 Elite and didnt like it so I traded or begged the original owner to trade me the goldtop for the Elite. It still had p 90s but I doubt its the same guitar. The silkscreen was missing but it had a 68 style Les Paul script logo truss cover. I put a correct 50s style on it. I suppose the Silkscreen could always be put back on. Whats weird is Tim and one of other guys maybe Dave Deforest was certain the neck had been refinished by Gibson probably because of the crude scribed in ser # the 68 style truss rod cover. The frets were pretty low and I had got a quote back then from Gibson to do a complete refin to cherry sunburst and rout for Humbuckers. I think back then they still wanted like a 1000 or 1200 to do the whole thing. I got a wild hair one day and sold it to Guitar trader for an Ibanez korina finish Destroyer and cash been sorry ever since.

FlamingTop

TW, what would be the lowest serial number for a 57 goldtop with humbuckers based on your experience?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have a friend with a '57/57 goldtop conversion. Amazing guitar too! There are a few of 'em out there.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
TW, what would be the lowest serial number for a 57 goldtop with humbuckers based on your experience?

Well, the answer gets confusing because of the left handed models.
If you check Burst Serial's website for the 57 Goldtops [ http://www.burstserial.com/gallery/main.php?cmd=album&var1=1957/&var2=2 ]
you will see the lowest number for a right handed model is 7-2371. I don't know of a lower number but it certainly could be out there.

The left handed 57s are a weird anomally that doesn't make sense. Humbucker models, even with cream hardware much lower than the early humbuckered right handed models with black hardware! And a P-90 left hand version with a higher number than three humbuckered lefties.

More serial numbers and photos are needed to get a closer answer. :)

59gibson

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's a couple of out door shots.:jim

P5140006.JPG

P5140007.JPG