• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I put ZAkk Wylde, Emg's in my Gothic Explorer

leezoo

I put ZAkk Wylde, Emg's in my Gothic Explorer

I put them in this weekend, man they kick butt. Screaming harmonics, these are the first active PU's I have owned.I was thinking of putting them in my LP, replacing the 57 classics that are in there now and a few friends said I would not be happy. They were right as hot and as killer as these sound I would have lost that vintage Gibson LP tone,these have a really different vibe. Im amazed how at very high gain these stay very focused, you can hear every note no MUD at all. Real quiet no hum at all either, none. I did like the stock 500 and 498 that were in there stock but I always wanted to try these, glad I did, IMHO they are kind of a step up from stock.

Now all I need is a Bullseye paint job on the body for a Zakk Wylde Explorer.

leezoo

The battery is easy to get to , its mounted in the control cavity, 2 screws.They last around 3000 hours,for me thats quite a few months so Its ok.Ill trade the power and tone for changing a battery every 3 months. I still cant get over the clarity of these ever at high gain settings.

mesablue

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
Just be sure to unplug your guitar every time your done jamming. my brother eats batteries like candy because he never unplugs.
Much longer life if you unplugg every time your done.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

You can also string two PP3s together in series for 18v - you'll get a bit more headroom and less frequent battery changes.

:hippy

Spose

Les Paul Forum Member
Zakk EMG's

I'm going to be doing this to a R7 Custom.
Is there anything I should look out for?
What comes with the wiring harness, pots etc.?
Speaking of pots, do they offer the kit for the Historics with the short pots?

Thanks

Last edited:

leezoo

The ZW kit comes with everything you need except a battery. You get the long and the short pots,the battery harness,a new input jack,the PU's (of course) and some about 8 inch piece of wire I had no use for and all the directions.I had a little trouble figuring out the wiring,I was thrown only using 2 volumes and one tone in the Explorer when most of the directions focused on a Les Paul. I couldnt find this kit anywhere around town so I paid $179.00 including shipping off E-bay,I think I did ok,still love them

Spose

Les Paul Forum Member
Thanks leezoo.
The kit had to be ordered, they said 6 weeks.
It's been about 4 so far, so I'm still waiting for it.