• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Weight of Famous LPs

Texas Blues

I believe that shot of Pearly was done at Gibson for specking out the reissue's.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I believe that shot of Pearly was done at Gibson for specking out the reissue's.

No, that's at Rockin' Robin [Houston Texas]. I think they were trying to do a photo shoot of the wood, so they could match that top.
Probably taken 20 years ago.

mingus

No, that's at Rockin' Robin [Houston Texas]. I think they were trying to do a photo shoot of the wood, so they could match that top.
Probably taken 20 years ago.

Bart (Wittrock, Tom's brother for those of you playing along at home) told me the story a few years ago about how Billy showed up at the shop with Pearly and asked Bart to take all the parts off and get a photographer in to take some pictures. Bart thought that this was being done so Gibson could make Billy some replicas (sort of a photo-flame thing like Fender) using a photo of Pearly Gates on the tops.

Black58

Howard Leese's former '60, "The Grail", weighs 9.3 pounds.

Found it while cruisin' Youtube. :2cool

58burst

My not-so-famous '58 weighs 8.5 lbs. :rofl
(and it's a screamer!)

Sol

This isn't accurate. it's mid 8.

I'm fascinated to know every detail of Jimmys #1, the true weight is perhaps the first. Could you please elaborate on
how you came across this intriguing detail please ?

Sol

While we're at it can we clarify the figures for the sake of consistency (avoid possible confusion)

For example ; 9.5 can be 9lb 5oz, or 9lb 8oz .

Some have included lb and oz others havent. Hope I'm not being overly pedantic..

randall

I'm fascinated to know every detail of Jimmys #1, the true weight is perhaps the first. Could you please elaborate on
how you came across this intriguing detail please ?

Google

renderit

While we're at it can we clarify the figures for the sake of consistency (avoid possible confusion)

Some have included lb and oz others havent. Hope I'm not being overly pedantic..

9.5 IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE 9 pounds 8 ounces.

It can be no other way.

How you could clarify this more is beyond me...

9.5 pounds could NEVER be 9 pounds 5 ounces...(that would be 9.3125 pounds)

Sheesh. What are they teaching in skool theeses days?

thin sissy

It can be no other way.

In Sol's defence, I don't think he didn't know this. Probably just wanted to make sure no one else wrote one thing and meant another.

Too bad we can't use kilogram's instead... But that's too much of a logical system without any confusion :laugh2:

Sol

It can be no other way.

Last edited:

Sol

In Sol's defence, I don't think he didn't know this. Probably just wanted to make sure no one else wrote one thing and meant another.

Too bad we can't use kilogram's instead... But that's too much of a logical system without any confusion :laugh2:

Thanks thin sissy, much appreciated. In the UK my generation were educated in both Metric and Imperial as despite the changeover to metric, almost all of us used Imperial routinely. The idea that 9.5 can only, and to the exception of all else only ever mean 9 pounds 8 ounces is so dumb I just can't bring myself to engage with it, I don't want to appear more stupid than I already am.

I genuinely love this place, I really do but the need of the few to leap upon any opportunity however fasile to look like the big brain in the room just drains the joy out of being here.

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks thin sissy, much appreciated. In the UK my generation were educated in both Metric and Imperial as despite the changeover to metric, almost all of us used Imperial routinely. The idea that 9.5 can only, and to the exception of all else only ever mean 9 pounds 8 ounces is so dumb I just can't bring myself to engage with it, but with an English University education I don't want to appear more stupid than I already am.

I genuinely love this place, I really do but the need of the few to leap upon any opportunity however fasile to look like the big brain in the room just drains the joy out of being here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sol

garywright

that’s a fair request ..usually the lack of mentioning oz or lb is by sellers wanting their instruments to falsely appear lighter

renderit

Sol.

Please accept my apologies.

I understood you and understood what you were driving at.

I don't think a lot of peeps think about it.

I wuz having a bit of fun wit it and I am somewhat thankful youze brought it up as some needs reminding every once in a while.

The only way I could be classified as a big brain is if I were compared to a trout...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sol

Sol

Sol.

Please accept my apologies.

I understood you and understood what you were driving at.

I don't think a lot of peeps think about it.

I wuz having a bit of fun wit it and I am somewhat thankful youze brought it up as some needs reminding every once in a while.

The only way I could be classified as a big brain is if I were compared to a trout...

renderit. It takes character and humility to make a public apology. (Rare these days) So as I thank you and accept your apology, know that it comes with my respect.

Last edited:

Sol

that’s a fair request ..usually the lack of mentioning oz or lb is by sellers wanting their instruments to falsely appear lighter

That's a point I hadn't considered, and given the potential for genuine misunderstanding, it can only be helpful to point it out.

BTW folks the OP started a great thread here..

Last edited: