• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Factory Fitted Grover tuners?

harveyP

Has anyone ever seen an original Burst or Gold Top with FACTORY FITTED Grovers? Did Gibson ever offer Grovers on a 50s Les Paul Standard as a custom order option?

Or will any Burst or original Gold Top always have evidence of Klusons? Would it be correct to assume that any 50s Les Paul Standard fitted with Grovers has been modified AFTER it originally left the factory?

j45

Even if no one here has seen a burst with factory Grovers I don't think a statement could be made that it never happened.

bigtomrodney

I'm curious about this too, I've heard that Customs were occasionally ordered with factory Grovers but I haven't heard the same story about Standards/Models.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Even if no one here has seen a burst with factory Grovers I don't think a statement could be made that it never happened.

Exactly. As far as I know, no Goldtop or Burst has factory Grovers.
However, here's a pic I took of a 1958 ES-175 with factory Grovers.
So, it could have happened. :)

normal_DSCN5769.JPG

Classic71

To expand the question a bit further, does anyone know how common (or uncommon) it was to order an electric direct from the factory? The thing that prompts me to ask is the fact that some 'bursts were obviously factory fitted with Bigsby's (i.e. no tailpiece stud holes).

Brown Recluse

I've got a '59 Cherry 330 with factory Grovers, a crown inlay on the headstaock, a Bigsby and an ES-345 fingerboard. Gibson did some strange stuff. I wouldn't consider factory Grovers on a burst as being beyond the realm of possibility.

Electric Lloyd

Exactly. As far as I know, no Goldtop or Burst has factory Grovers.
However, here's a pic I took of a 1958 ES-175 with factory Grovers.
So, it could have happened. :)

normal_DSCN5769.JPG

Very cool TW! I didn't know Grover was making tuners this early. Another ode to German engineering! These tuning keys were far superior to anything at the time.

And Brown Recluse, that cool ES-330 you have might be an employee guitar. Just a guess, really.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Very cool TW! I didn't know Grover was making tuners this early. Another ode to German engineering! These tuning keys were far superior to anything at the time.

Actually, Grover had been making tuning gears since the late 1800s.
But this might be the first of the Roto-matics we like so much. :)

cjp54

I wish I would have saved a photo that came through email several years ago of a spectacular 59 burst with what appeared to be factory Grovers. I'll see if I can dig it up.

VibroMan

Does anyone have any detailed photographs of late 1950’s Gibson guitars that have factory equipped Grover tuners? Specifically I’m looking for images of the tuner holes, impressions, tooling marks, etc...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Does anyone have any detailed photographs of late 1950’s Gibson guitars that have factory equipped Grover tuners? Specifically I’m looking for images of the tuner holes, impressions, tooling marks, etc...

Look for threads with late 50s Customs and you might find some images.
I have a few photos at work, including one of the guitar I posted above, I think.
If I get a chance tomorrow, I will try to post them. :salude

poor man's burst

I'm curious about this too, I've heard that Customs were occasionally ordered with factory Grovers but I haven't heard the same story about Standards/Models.

Grover Rotomatic became factory standard on the Les Paul Custom by late '58 early '59 until the model's discontinuation in '61.

LTD400

I know it is an old thread. But I came across these grovers that have a Gibson branding.
These are probably later grovers (maybe 70s). But I've not seen the Gibson branding on these old Grover tuners. Does anyone know on which guitar these were from the factory?

Note: those pictures are not mine. these are pictures from someone selling them.
9d30cb86-dda4-40bb-a92f-18f4dfe5b55d

d6c4e253-2ad4-409e-903f-c8d0892f9190

Last edited: