NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: 1999 and 2000 Gibson Les Paul R9's: Lets see em

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I used to own this one many years ago, lovely guitar I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Btw the black case is original, they didn't come with Lifton's back then.

This was part of a small run of ultra-flamey top guitars ordered by Ronn David in 2000.
    Wow, gorgeous guitar! Regarding the Lifton comment, I know that my '99s came with both Lifton cases and black Custom Shop cases, so I know they were available back then...but probably only as a special order at an up-charge.

Frank

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    I owned this guitar at one point and may have sold it to Red Baron. That guitar was part of a run of about 50 guitar that Ronn David got that all had killer tops. I bought around 15 of them from Ronn. When he first got them he told everybody that he paid a big up charge for them because of the tops but that was BS as I later found out that they costed him the regular price. He shopped them around to his big customers for stupid money and got $10,000.00 for a few of them including this guitar. And 7-8K for some others. A guy in Texas named Dewey bought it. He paid 10K and there was an extra sheet stapled to the invoice stating that Dewey could not return the guitar because he had Ronn install the pickguard as Ronn had the guitars done without the guards installed. He use to be a member here many years ago and we then referred to the guitar as the "Dewey Burst". He felt pretty burnt on the deal and moved the guitar fairly quickly to Ed Refalko another member at the time. I then bought it from Ed.

Just trying to give you the story behind the guitar and not really trying to slam Ronn from Vintage World. He did a lot for the Historic line and always got some of the best tops. But I can't say his business practices were always up to snuff.
    Man I love the internet!!!

Thanks so much for this insight markguitar...really something! I think the name "Dewey Burst" should remain, and I shall now refer to it as such.

Yep, the receipt says $10,000 (I've not seen it - verbatim from seller). Not sure about the pickguard document.

It's interesting that this guitar keeps getting moved on - makes me wonder why...hmmm, thinking too much is not a good thing sometimes.

It still amazes me that there is no one doing a quality Lifton RI style case...surely they'd shift 300+ a year or so at $200 ea??
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Wow - Dan has worked on this guitar!

http://www.lespaulforum.com/dan2/danstuff.html

Yeah, That's it!

Shame Ed and Dewey are no longer active for comment.

Quote Originally Posted by pinefd View Post
    Regarding the Lifton comment, I know that my '99s came with both Lifton cases and black Custom Shop cases, so I know they were available back then...but probably only as a special order at an up-charge.

Frank
    Gibson had a promotion deal on the '99 R9's.

They came with the black case, but if you sent the warranty and a copy of your sales receipt to Gibson, they would send you the Lifton case and a copy of BOTB.
    Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional!

This is my '99.

The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Not View Post
    This is my '99.

schwing!!

dibs!
    Some things just have to be believed to be seen.

Hi gangs, I'm wondering if 1999 les paul R9 has bumblebee caps, anyone can share their guitar's cavity photo?

I find a R9 but I don't know why it is so cheap price.

http://www.j-guitar.com/product_id1006052.html

That Cherry on bmj's 99 is about as good as it gets. Looks like it's an inch thick.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce00 View Post
    Hi gangs, I'm wondering if 1999 les paul R9 has bumblebee caps, anyone can share their guitar's cavity photo?

I find a R9 but I don't know why it is so cheap price.

http://www.j-guitar.com/product_id1006052.html
    The '99 R9 Les Pauls came with tiny ceramic caps, not bumblebees. I believe the bumblebee caps were reissued starting in 2003, although their construction was not the same as the original '50s bumblebees.

Les Paul Forum Member Chef Greg's Avatar

'99 thread revival....

"I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did before.".

I have two 2000 R9’s and they are the arguably the best guitars I own. Great era for these guitars. Much fewer of them made and maybe a little more of a hand made feel to the workmanship. I have new ones and they’re very nice as well but different somehow. Of course the age of these Y2k’s is a factor. Love the 99’s as well. First year they started getting it right.

Dorothy and Toto Land, The Great Plains, Tornado Alley

There are over 150 99R9 pix here:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/r9pix.htm
    Last edited by GGJaguar; 07-30-18 at 05:21 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Y2K Wildwood Spec Killer Quilt (Stephens Design HD-61/HD-SN Pups)

Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

For the life of me I cannot seem to post large pictures. It is a miracle that I can even post these itty bitty ones so here it is.
    1380507_225284987635005_1673578200_n.jpg
    2000 Lemonburst Yamano built by Mike MaGuire # 9 0503 "Tupolo Honey"

This is my number one, Tupolo Honey, when it was rather new. It is a Lemonburst 2000 that reminded me of the Robert Johnson Burst I so admired. The serial number is even in the same 9 0500 range so I thought that was kinda cool. The guitar has been used pretty hard, having been on the road with me from 2000 to 2013 and has faded to a very sweet lemonburst with no red at all in the top and most of the red on the neck played off!! The little dings and wear are all organic and honest and the Lipton has a very cool aspect and vibe now. As you can see I replaced the excellent sounding Classic 57 PAF Gibson hum buckers for a set of Duncan Antiquities from the late 90's. I installed a Vibramate mounted Bigsby B5 some time ago and it suits this guitar very well. I happen to think the B5 is better, IMO and have always liked it on Les Pauls. I use the Bigsby a lot and the Vibramate mounting option makes it a painless and easily reversible mod. This guitar is supernatural in its feel and tone and though not as pretty as some of my others, most every guitarist that plays them single this one out as the best. I agree.

1412483_225284777635026_1763932712_o.jpg
    1999 Cherryburst R9 #9 9720 "Lipton"

Lipton is a gorgeous 99 with that killer burst used back then. It has faded naturally to a beautiful rusty, ruddy red brown Tea Burst color. The flame on this one is different from every angle and it has more shimmy than a carnival side show dancer!! I installed the pair of Double Cream PAF's Timbuckers he wound for me to Ed A specs and on my Gibson Shawbucker bobbins. Those pickups will never leave this guitar. I also put a Vibramate mounted B7 Bigsby on Lipton because I needs me some whambulational options for playing my best. I lots Vibramates and think the Bigsby works better with it than mounted directly to the wood. The angles are better and I think it sounds better. This is another killer playing and sounding Millennial Les Paul with a very woody tone and sweet voice. Lots of growl when you dig in but overall sweet and woody. The necks on these turn of the Century Les Pauls are my favorites of all the Historics I own and find them ideal for me. Not quite as spectacular sounding when compared to Tupolo Honey, but still a very, very good sounding Les Paul and great in it's own right. I really like the way this one sounds with any of my Blackface Fenders and it loves the 55 Tremolux being a very good match with that amp. Lipton is probably my prettiest Les Paul and it really does have a strong visual vibe hard to capture in a photo.
    Last edited by Big Al; 05-31-20 at 12:54 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    For the life of me I cannot seem to post large pictures. It is a miracle that I can even post these itty bitty ones so here it is.

That should do it. Not too shabby at all.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post

That should do it. Not too shabby at all.
    Thank you very much sir. I am a ludite with this stuff. I will try to have updated pictures taken, at their best angles of course, and post them. They both have aged nicely, though Tupolo Honey really has quite a vibe now.
    Thanks again for the help.

Thank you very much sir. I am a ludite with this stuff. I will try to have updated pictures taken, at their best angles of course, and post them. They both have aged nicely, though Tupolo Honey really has quite a vibe now.
    Thanks again for the help.

Sorry to derail the thread but I been meaning to ask this question after seeing'em on many pics: what brand of strings are those that still have the red threads by the ball end??

I've seen that on flatwounds before but the roundwound ones are a mystery to me.

Sorry to derail the thread but I been meaning to ask this question after seeing'em on many pics: what brand of strings are those that still have the red threads by the ball end??

I've seen that on flatwounds before but the roundwound ones are a mystery to me.
    Gibson Pure Nickle Les Paul Signature strings. .009 - .046

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

I believe those strings are a Gibson branded Les Paul "vintage" string set.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    I believe those strings are a Gibson branded Les Paul "vintage" string set.
    No. The Vintage doesn't have the silk wraps. On some photos my guitars have blue silk wraps from my favorite String, Gibson BB King Signature pure nickle .010 - .054. best LP string, IMO.

Gibson Pure Nickle Les Paul Signature strings. .009 - .046
    No. The Vintage doesn't have the silk wraps. On some photos my guitars have blue silk wraps from my favorite String, Gibson BB King Signature pure nickle .010 - .054. best LP string, IMO.

Thanks! I forgot all about those signature sets.

2k Yamano r9

Nice stuff Al.

Well, I had to sell the Deweyburst discussed earlier in this cool thread. That was to buy a '60 ES-335 so clearly a legitimate decision...still hurt! A friend has it now.

A year later once I'd recovered from the 335, I saw this 1999 R9 and purchased it. It has the NOS ThroBak MXV101+'s in it, along with pigtail tail piece and inserts. MapleFlame mod but with nickel coated brass screws, different harness and tuners, knobs are newer historic, few other things. It's a dream guitar to me ...sounds like everything I would want from a 59RI.

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    Well, I had to sell the Deweyburst discussed earlier in this cool thread. That was to buy a '60 ES-335 so clearly a legitimate decision...still hurt! A friend has it now.

A year later once I'd recovered from the 335, I saw this 1999 R9 and purchased it. It has the NOS ThroBak MXV101+'s in it, along with pigtail tail piece and inserts. MapleFlame mod but with nickel coated brass screws, different harness and tuners, knobs are newer historic, few other things. It's a dream guitar to me ...sounds like everything I would want from a 59RI.

I like that one, Grant. The upgrades certainly don't hurt it. I recently had the distinct pleasure of playing a 2017 59 Reissue that sported a pair of Jon's MXV101 pickups. I found they really complimented that guitar and suited my taste and preference. You must be pleased.

I've found something in 99-00 R9's that speaks to me. I had resisted buying a reissue for years. I didn't find them compelling enough to drop, what for me was a substantial chunk of dough on another guitar. Till I played a 99. I searched for one I could use on stage and in studio as my primary Les Paul, a player.

I saw lot's with AMAZING TOP'S but they didn't surpass what I had and my budget wouldn't allow shopping for just a top. They all felt great. A distinct feel that I love and is present in 99-00 in spades. I found my player, with my sound in May 2000 at the HOG.

I am not overly concerned about minutia and correct dotsor inlays aren't going to entice me to trade my 99 or 00 for upgrade specs.

I find the turn of century guitars unlque and having something I find addicting.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

I like that one, Grant. The upgrades certainly don't hurt it. I recently had the distinct pleasure of playing a 2017 59 Reissue that sported a pair of Jon's MXV101 pickups. I found they really complimented that guitar and suited my taste and preference. You must be pleased.

I've found something in 99-00 R9's that speaks to me. I had resisted buying a reissue for years. I didn't find them compelling enough to drop, what for me was a substantial chunk of dough on another guitar. Till I played a 99. I searched for one I could use on stage and in studio as my primary Les Paul, a player.

I saw lot's with AMAZING TOP'S but they didn't surpass what I had and my budget wouldn't allow shopping for just a top. They all felt great. A distinct feel that I love and is present in 99-00 in spades. I found my player, with my sound in May 2000 at the HOG.

I am not overly concerned about minutia and correct dotsor inlays aren't going to entice me to trade my 99 or 00 for upgrade specs.

I find the turn of century guitars unlque and having something I find addicting.

I have to agree Al. I bought a new 2000 R9 from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in 2003. They had many other R9s from 1998 through 2002, however I preferred the 2000. What I liked about mine was the exemplary mahogany back and neck. Simply a beautiful example of high quality quarter-sawn wood. I could tell this wood was sorted and graded accordingly. And the plain maple top was nearly perfect, without any cosmetic blemishes or mineral streaks. This guitar weighed in around 8 lbs 4 oz. The '57 Classic pickups sounded great. Just a great guitar all around. I still have it and play it extensively.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Here's my 2000 R9; it's my main player. The neck shape and fret size on this guitar feel just perfect. Also, the fretboard is extremely dark and dense, with next to no pores in it. I don't care how historically inaccurate it looks, it plays and sounds so great! I love this guitar.

Last edited by No!All!; 08-02-18 at 01:02 PM.

Very nice.

I noticed mine has started to get lacquer cracking in the places that vintage guitars go first. Back of the headstock on the curve, around the knobs, a little bit here and there. I’ll try and take some shots.

I’ll make a contribution. Here is “Boomerang” a 2000 R9 Yamano Murphy Aged
    Loaded with Throbak DT102s, Throbaks 50s wiring harness, and Montreux Bell Knobs.

Great colour and flame!

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Base6 View Post
    I’ll make a contribution. Here is “Boomerang” a 2000 R9 Yamano Murphy Aged
    Loaded with Throbak DT102s, Throbaks 50s wiring harness, and Montreux Bell Knobs.

Did you get the ultra-rare lightweight Lifton case with that?
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Les Paul Forum Member

I can't believe I started this thread over 7 1/2 years ago lol
    Beautiful guitars everyone!!!
    I still love the 99/00's. Im hoping with the 20th anniversary of the 99's coming next year (2019) that Gibson will somehow find a way to replicate the red in the cherry sunburst finish they were using those years. A lot of them have faded to beautiful orange/tea bursts but every now and again I see one that still has that deep red still left and it still looks amazing to me. The gloss finishes were so thin and the necks felt great. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

1380507_225284987635005_1673578200_n.jpg
    2000 Lemonburst Yamano built by Mike MaGuire # 9 0503 "Tupolo Honey"

This is my number one, Tupolo Honey, when it was rather new. It is a Lemonburst 2000 that reminded me of the Robert Johnson Burst I so admired. The serial number is even in the same 9 0500 range so I thought that was kinda cool. The guitar has been used pretty hard, having been on the road with me from 2000 to 2013 and has faded to a very sweet lemonburst with no red at all in the top and most of the red on the neck played off!! The little dings and wear are all organic and honest and the Lipton has a very cool aspect and vibe now. As you can see I replaced the excellent sounding Classic 57 PAF Gibson hum buckers for a set of Duncan Antiquities from the late 90's. I installed a Vibramate mounted Bigsby B5 some time ago and it suits this guitar very well. I happen to think the B5 is better, IMO and have always liked it on Les Pauls. I use the Bigsby a lot and the Vibramate mounting option makes it a painless and easily reversible mod. This guitar is supernatural in its feel and tone and though not as pretty as some of my others, most every guitarist that plays them single this one out as the best. I agree.

1412483_225284777635026_1763932712_o.jpg
    1999 Cherryburst R9 #9 9720 "Lipton"

Tupolo Honey is a gorgeous 99 with that killer burst used back then. It has faded naturally to a beautiful rusty, ruddy red brown Tea Burst color. The flame on this one is different from every angle and it has more shimmy than a carnival side show dancer!! I installed the pair of Double Cream PAF's Timbuckers he wound for me to Ed A specs and on my Gibson Shawbucker bobbins. Those pickups will never leave this guitar. I also put a Vibramate mounted B7 Bigsby on Lipton because I needs me some whambulational options for playing my best. I lots Vibramates and think the Bigsby works better with it than mounted directly to the wood. The angles are better and I think it sounds better. This is another killer playing and sounding Millennial Les Paul with a very woody tone and sweet voice. Lots of growl when you dig in but overall sweet and woody. The necks on these turn of the Century Les Pauls are my favorites of all the Historics I own and find them ideal for me. Not quite as spectacular sounding when compared to Tupolo Honey, but still a very, very good sounding Les Paul and great in it's own right. I really like the way this one sounds with any of my Blackface Fenders and it loves the 55 Tremolux being a very good match with that amp. Lipton is probably my prettiest Les Paul and it really does have a strong visual vibe hard to capture in a photo.
    I am in utter awe and wonder of the beauty of your 2 most beautiful Les Paul's .Wow , I don't even want my R8 or R9 anymore after seeing the wonder and beauty of your 2 most super uber most biggest and beautiful top Les Paul's .I am so jealous and envious of those Les Paul's . My utmost sincere compliments .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I am in utter awe and wonder of the beauty of your 2 most beautiful Les Paul's .Wow , I don't even want my R8 or R9 anymore after seeing the wonder and beauty of your 2 most super uber most biggest and beautiful top Les Paul's .I am so jealous and envious of those Les Paul's . My utmost sincere compliments .
    No way. Tupolo 9 0503 was the weakest top in the bunch that came in to the HOG that week! I passed up some sick uber flame because that guitar sounded so good to me. I do think it is a looker, but not in the top tier at all.

Lipton 9 9720 is a looker. So big deep and wild! Still not an ubertop, imo. I'm glad you like them. I must get good new photos. Their vibe and honest wear gives them great appeal visually and those amazing necks of 99/00 still are my favorites!!

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

Just came across this thread. Here's my 2000 Les Paul 59RI:

Quote Originally Posted by GGJaguar View Post
    There are over 150 99R9 pix here:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/r9pix.htm
    99455 was my 1st R9. I bought it from Dave’s in 1999. I sold it to Dewey in late 2001 if my memory is correct. I really liked the top. The only 99 that I still have is a late 99 production R9 I bought from Ronn David in early 2000.

SeanT
    LP Forum member since 1999 but was lost for a long time.