• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1999 and 2000 Gibson Les Paul R9's: Lets see em

marshall1987

Sorry to derail the thread but I been meaning to ask this question after seeing'em on many pics: what brand of strings are those that still have the red threads by the ball end??

I've seen that on flatwounds before but the roundwound ones are a mystery to me.

I believe those strings are a Gibson branded Les Paul "vintage" string set.

Big Al

I believe those strings are a Gibson branded Les Paul "vintage" string set.

No. The Vintage doesn't have the silk wraps. On some photos my guitars have blue silk wraps from my favorite String, Gibson BB King Signature pure nickle .010 - .054. best LP string, IMO.

garywright

Sun.jpg

2k Yamano r9

latestarter

Well, I had to sell the Deweyburst discussed earlier in this cool thread. That was to buy a '60 ES-335 so clearly a legitimate decision...still hurt! A friend has it now.

A year later once I'd recovered from the 335, I saw this 1999 R9 and purchased it. It has the NOS ThroBak MXV101+'s in it, along with pigtail tail piece and inserts. MapleFlame mod but with nickel coated brass screws, different harness and tuners, knobs are newer historic, few other things. It's a dream guitar to me ...sounds like everything I would want from a 59RI.

Pvjn7IA.jpg

Big Al

Well, I had to sell the Deweyburst discussed earlier in this cool thread. That was to buy a '60 ES-335 so clearly a legitimate decision...still hurt! A friend has it now.

A year later once I'd recovered from the 335, I saw this 1999 R9 and purchased it. It has the NOS ThroBak MXV101+'s in it, along with pigtail tail piece and inserts. MapleFlame mod but with nickel coated brass screws, different harness and tuners, knobs are newer historic, few other things. It's a dream guitar to me ...sounds like everything I would want from a 59RI.

Pvjn7IA.jpg

I like that one, Grant. The upgrades certainly don't hurt it. I recently had the distinct pleasure of playing a 2017 59 Reissue that sported a pair of Jon's MXV101 pickups. I found they really complimented that guitar and suited my taste and preference. You must be pleased.

I've found something in 99-00 R9's that speaks to me. I had resisted buying a reissue for years. I didn't find them compelling enough to drop, what for me was a substantial chunk of dough on another guitar. Till I played a 99. I searched for one I could use on stage and in studio as my primary Les Paul, a player.

I saw lot's with AMAZING TOP'S but they didn't surpass what I had and my budget wouldn't allow shopping for just a top. They all felt great. A distinct feel that I love and is present in 99-00 in spades. I found my player, with my sound in May 2000 at the HOG.

I am not overly concerned about minutia and correct dotsor inlays aren't going to entice me to trade my 99 or 00 for upgrade specs.

I find the turn of century guitars unlque and having something I find addicting.

marshall1987

I like that one, Grant. The upgrades certainly don't hurt it. I recently had the distinct pleasure of playing a 2017 59 Reissue that sported a pair of Jon's MXV101 pickups. I found they really complimented that guitar and suited my taste and preference. You must be pleased.

I've found something in 99-00 R9's that speaks to me. I had resisted buying a reissue for years. I didn't find them compelling enough to drop, what for me was a substantial chunk of dough on another guitar. Till I played a 99. I searched for one I could use on stage and in studio as my primary Les Paul, a player.

I saw lot's with AMAZING TOP'S but they didn't surpass what I had and my budget wouldn't allow shopping for just a top. They all felt great. A distinct feel that I love and is present in 99-00 in spades. I found my player, with my sound in May 2000 at the HOG.

I am not overly concerned about minutia and correct dotsor inlays aren't going to entice me to trade my 99 or 00 for upgrade specs.

I find the turn of century guitars unlque and having something I find addicting.

I have to agree Al. I bought a new 2000 R9 from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in 2003. They had many other R9s from 1998 through 2002, however I preferred the 2000. What I liked about mine was the exemplary mahogany back and neck. Simply a beautiful example of high quality quarter-sawn wood. I could tell this wood was sorted and graded accordingly. And the plain maple top was nearly perfect, without any cosmetic blemishes or mineral streaks. This guitar weighed in around 8 lbs 4 oz. The '57 Classic pickups sounded great. Just a great guitar all around. I still have it and play it extensively.

No!All!

Here's my 2000 R9; it's my main player. The neck shape and fret size on this guitar feel just perfect. Also, the fretboard is extremely dark and dense, with next to no pores in it. I don't care how historically inaccurate it looks, it plays and sounds so great! I love this guitar.

Last edited:

latestarter

Very nice.

I noticed mine has started to get lacquer cracking in the places that vintage guitars go first. Back of the headstock on the curve, around the knobs, a little bit here and there. I’ll try and take some shots.

Base6

I’ll make a contribution. Here is “Boomerang” a 2000 R9 Yamano Murphy Aged
Loaded with Throbak DT102s, Throbaks 50s wiring harness, and Montreux Bell Knobs.

duaneflowers

I’ll make a contribution. Here is “Boomerang” a 2000 R9 Yamano Murphy Aged
Loaded with Throbak DT102s, Throbaks 50s wiring harness, and Montreux Bell Knobs.

Did you get the ultra-rare lightweight Lifton case with that?

Brandon

I can't believe I started this thread over 7 1/2 years ago lol
Beautiful guitars everyone!!!
I still love the 99/00's. Im hoping with the 20th anniversary of the 99's coming next year (2019) that Gibson will somehow find a way to replicate the red in the cherry sunburst finish they were using those years. A lot of them have faded to beautiful orange/tea bursts but every now and again I see one that still has that deep red still left and it still looks amazing to me. The gloss finishes were so thin and the necks felt great. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

El Gringo

For the life of me I cannot seem to post large pictures. It is a miracle that I can even post these itty bitty ones so here it is.
View attachment 8021
2000 Lemonburst Yamano built by Mike MaGuire # 9 0503 "Tupolo Honey"

This is my number one, Tupolo Honey, when it was rather new. It is a Lemonburst 2000 that reminded me of the Robert Johnson Burst I so admired. The serial number is even in the same 9 0500 range so I thought that was kinda cool. The guitar has been used pretty hard, having been on the road with me from 2000 to 2013 and has faded to a very sweet lemonburst with no red at all in the top and most of the red on the neck played off!! The little dings and wear are all organic and honest and the Lipton has a very cool aspect and vibe now. As you can see I replaced the excellent sounding Classic 57 PAF Gibson hum buckers for a set of Duncan Antiquities from the late 90's. I installed a Vibramate mounted Bigsby B5 some time ago and it suits this guitar very well. I happen to think the B5 is better, IMO and have always liked it on Les Pauls. I use the Bigsby a lot and the Vibramate mounting option makes it a painless and easily reversible mod. This guitar is supernatural in its feel and tone and though not as pretty as some of my others, most every guitarist that plays them single this one out as the best. I agree.

View attachment 8020
1999 Cherryburst R9 #9 9720 "Lipton"

Tupolo Honey is a gorgeous 99 with that killer burst used back then. It has faded naturally to a beautiful rusty, ruddy red brown Tea Burst color. The flame on this one is different from every angle and it has more shimmy than a carnival side show dancer!! I installed the pair of Double Cream PAF's Timbuckers he wound for me to Ed A specs and on my Gibson Shawbucker bobbins. Those pickups will never leave this guitar. I also put a Vibramate mounted B7 Bigsby on Lipton because I needs me some whambulational options for playing my best. I lots Vibramates and think the Bigsby works better with it than mounted directly to the wood. The angles are better and I think it sounds better. This is another killer playing and sounding Millennial Les Paul with a very woody tone and sweet voice. Lots of growl when you dig in but overall sweet and woody. The necks on these turn of the Century Les Pauls are my favorites of all the Historics I own and find them ideal for me. Not quite as spectacular sounding when compared to Tupolo Honey, but still a very, very good sounding Les Paul and great in it's own right. I really like the way this one sounds with any of my Blackface Fenders and it loves the 55 Tremolux being a very good match with that amp. Lipton is probably my prettiest Les Paul and it really does have a strong visual vibe hard to capture in a photo.

I am in utter awe and wonder of the beauty of your 2 most beautiful Les Paul's .Wow , I don't even want my R8 or R9 anymore after seeing the wonder and beauty of your 2 most super uber most biggest and beautiful top Les Paul's .I am so jealous and envious of those Les Paul's . My utmost sincere compliments .

Big Al

I am in utter awe and wonder of the beauty of your 2 most beautiful Les Paul's .Wow , I don't even want my R8 or R9 anymore after seeing the wonder and beauty of your 2 most super uber most biggest and beautiful top Les Paul's .I am so jealous and envious of those Les Paul's . My utmost sincere compliments .

No way. Tupolo 9 0503 was the weakest top in the bunch that came in to the HOG that week! I passed up some sick uber flame because that guitar sounded so good to me. I do think it is a looker, but not in the top tier at all.

Lipton 9 9720 is a looker. So big deep and wild! Still not an ubertop, imo. I'm glad you like them. I must get good new photos. Their vibe and honest wear gives them great appeal visually and those amazing necks of 99/00 still are my favorites!!