• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Filling in the pickguard hole question....

sunking101

Buy a LP Traditional, they come with the pickguard uninstalled. It's there in the case if you need it. No holes in the guitar!

Other than that, most people just leave the holes. On a gold top I guess they're more visible than on some other finishes but you'll only see them close up. I would avoid the temptation to fill the holes and then touch up with gold paint or nail polish, I've seen the nitro react to that and the area becomes quite messy. A luthier could of course do a professional job and make the holes disappear if you want to pay for it.

1978Deluxe

I don't know...these two guitars never seemed to lack any tone.

Attachments

• 9ced315f19188ccd866361ba8fbd97cd.jpg
    9ced315f19188ccd866361ba8fbd97cd.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 19
  • dd7f435a0caf798d73b569750df526f9.jpg
    dd7f435a0caf798d73b569750df526f9.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21

jrgtr42

My Standard came with the PG uninstalled - I just left it off.
I have another LP-style (Heritage H150) that had it on - I took it off since I like how the Standard looked without it.
I don't worry about the holes in the guitar. I'd consider worrying about gunk getting in the one on the top, but it is hidden in the shadow of the fretboard.

El Gringo

My Standard came with the PG uninstalled - I just left it off.
I have another LP-style (Heritage H150) that had it on - I took it off since I like how the Standard looked without it.
I don't worry about the holes in the guitar. I'd consider worrying about gunk getting in the one on the top, but it is hidden in the shadow of the fretboard.
Every new Gibson I have ever purchased (except for my LPC ) came without the pickguard installed and that's how I like it as why would I want to cover up nicely figured maple ? Answer I wouldn't want to hide any beautiful maple .

jrgtr42

Every new Gibson I have ever purchased (except for my LPC ) came without the pickguard installed and that's how I like it as why would I want to cover up nicely figured maple ? Answer I wouldn't want to hide any beautiful maple .

Agreed. I think the Ebony (black) ones look great with a white / cream pickguard installed - and probably the goldtops also, but I like the 'Bursts without.

sunking101

Agreed. I think the Ebony (black) ones look great with a white / cream pickguard installed - and probably the goldtops also, but I like the 'Bursts without.

Goldtops definitely look better with a pickguard. Black probably too, with a cream PG and cream plastics.