• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

hey dan

1958teaburst

what an honor to talk to you ! I have a Question about Clive Brown . Does he refinish guitars often??? If so I would like a price on a top refinish. I would like the same color as john cattos replica.

Dan Erlewine

a pleasure to hear from you

Thanks Tea: Yes, finish work is what Clive does. It is, or course, an extra cost and effort to ship/receive from England, but worth it.

I would expect that Clive's work would be quite expensive. I don't recall what the P-Bass I had done for a friend a few years ago was, but I will inquire and see how busy Clive is and if he is looking for work. What do you think stripping, re-finishing, and aging is worth? I would love to know. I think many refinishers in the US charge too little. There are alot of people hanging out a shingle to do refins., and when I see the pricing - if it is too low, I don't trust it.

Many of my peers, those who have been doing this a long time and ain't gettin' any younger, don't do any re-finishing. I don't. I will airbrush touchups, or do a little spraying on broken-then-fixed repairs, but the last entire re-fin I did was over a year ago.

Some of the up and coming finishers are great and some aren't. Seeing work is proof, and good word of mouth confirmation is good if you know someone.

The "antiquers" I know of are Vince Cunetto (don't know how to reach him or if he takes on work); Tom Murphy (top-of-the-line, but a real busy guy. Tom does take in private work however); and Clive.

Each of these men has a differrent technique and visual appeal. I would not suggest one over another. If you like the look on J. Catto's guitar, then contact Clive - that is what his work looks like (and his is the only work I have seen that looks like THAT).

If Clive is in business for the Forum, he will post himself. I would not expect him to quote prices here, though.

What do I think a fair price SHOULD be? $1,000. - $2,000 ?? Whatever they charge. Even that may not be enough for the kind of work these guys do.

thanks, Dan

Mike Hansen

Les Paul Forum Member
I don't think Vince Cunetto is currently set up to handle any work if memory serves me right.