• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

52-59 Burst Conversion

boogieongtr

I scored this 52 Goldtop a couple weeks ago off Ebay and am doing a conversion to 59 Burst specs.

2.jpg

The guitar has a 70's neck and it has to go. I first remove the fingerboard by using a heat blanket. Next I get the depth of the neck and mark my drill bit with some tape.
SN3.jpg

I need to bore several holes along the glue line so I can steam out the neck. Check out the added shim in the neck pocket.
SN4.jpg

Before I steam the neck I strip the finish around the neck joint and with a razor blade I break the joint.
A004.jpg

Add a little steam..
SN5.jpg

And the neck pops right out
SN6.jpg

MapleFlame

Good thing is, you saved the neck and can resell to restore a 70's Norlin. LOL. Yeah look like a great project. Will be interesting to see what's under the hood, I see a little flame with the finish off by the mortice.

pinefd

Alright, another conversion project! I love these, Jim! Can't wait to watch this one unfold.

Frank

boogieongtr

I went into this project knowing I was going to do a retop. I know some of you think this will have a negative effect on the tone. IMOP the majority of tone is from the mahogany. The mahogany Gibson used in 1952 was some of the best tone woods. So off with the old top. First I'll run it thru a planer.
PlaneSandTop001.jpg

And then finish it off with a drum sander.
PlaneSandTop002.jpg

This is what a 52-53 body looks like. Notice the ground wire channel that runs into the control cavity.
PlugBody1.jpg

I'm going to plug the P90 routes and other holes with some mahogany. I use a jig and router and then glue some mahogany into the routes using hide glue.

PlugBody2.jpg

I also glued some mahogany into the neck pocket so when I route out for the neck I have a nice tight fit.

PlugBody4.jpg

Here is what the end looks like from the trap and bigsby.
EndGround1.jpg

While the top is off I'm going to do a repair to hide the 3 holes made from the original trap. I use a sharp chisel to notch out a small section. I'll leave the 2 extra holes made from the Bigsby and plug them with some mahogany.
EndGround2.jpg

End plug looking good.
EndGround3.jpg

I have 500 bd ft of Michigan flame maple that was harvested in the 80's. I have been saving a top for myself for a special project. The top is vintage looking but off the charts in color, flame, 3-D.... First get the hide glue ready to go.
NewTop2.jpg

New top glued and clamped
NewTop1.jpg

boogieongtr

Continuing on with the new top. I trim the maple with my OH pin router.
NT3.jpg

I always thought my 1957 Goldtop has a great top carve.
9.jpg

So I made a dummy blank to use with my builds.
TopCarve1.jpg

I use the dummy top carve blank to carve the new top.
NT4.jpg

Ten minutes with a sander and the new top is looking good.
NT7.jpg

frazettafan

Great stuff - very interesting to see how you are doing this - thank's for sharing it. That top looks great!!

Coda

A fascinating project. I wish I had your skills (+ home wood work shop !).

boogieongtr

Thanks for all the kind words. Yesterday I worked on the neck angle and pickup plane. I use a 1.2 degree for the pickup plane and a 4 degree neck angle just like my 1960 Burst.

60PUAngle.jpg

To get the exact 4 degree angle I use a jig that I made. It's basically a box with a piano hinge at the one end. First I set both sides to a 4 degree angle.
NA2.jpg

NA1.jpg

Next I take a router mounted to a piece of 1/2" plywood with a 1/2" x 4" straight cut bit and pass over the neck area of the body.
NA3.jpg

The end result is a perfect 4 degree neck plane.
NA4.jpg

sapi

Amazing! Thank you for this interesting project info!