• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Harry Cody - Second Coming

fizzy

EDIT: I have to edit this one because another questions came up, a thing I'm struggling with ever since.

On "shout it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17oWbSiOCQ how to create the effect at 3:09 - 3:15 ??? This part of the solo is driving me nuts!!! the first bit is something with the whammy I guess and the last bit is just a crazy pick tapping on the high E string with a lot of scratches towards the bridge. Would be awesome if yo coul help me out with all of this!

Cody

Well, I don't have a scanner, so for the time being I can't scan the song book for you. As soon as I catch up with technology, I'll post and let you know.

Sorry, I can't sell you my copy of the book, because it's part of my Shotgun memorabilia collection.

On "shout it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17oWbSiOCQ how to create the effect at 3:09 - 3:15 ??? This part of the solo is driving me nuts!!! the first bit is something with the whammy I guess and the last bit is just a crazy pick tapping on the high E string with a lot of scratches towards the bridge. Would be awesome if yo coul help me out with all of this!

The first part requires a floating whammy set up - that is, it freely pulls up as well as dives. It also requires (at least for me) a tight whammy bar that doesn't swivel.

You just hammer a note with your left hand, while giving the tip of the whammy bar a quick flick or hit with your right little finger. The whole bridge will vibrate, making the note "growl". I used it for a lick somewhere in the middle of "The Explorer" too.

The second part requires a metal pick. Like you guessed, I tap and slide upward before releasing a few times, and the last time I keep sliding up while sawing at the string with the pick.

:salude

fizzy

great one Harry! I figured it out! Thank you! didnt know you just had to tab the whammy bar!

yeah for the book, thats sad; to ask you to scan those would have been too much anyway ;)

If you are may interested in checking the tabs I have you can mail me at any time: fizzysuxx@gmx.de

Thank very much for your effort in helping me!

Cody

Harry, I tried the impossible and covered "don't care 'bout nothin'" I would very happy if you could take a look and tell me your opinion :)

thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1mwBWctgM
Nicely done! :headbange

Clearly you've listened closely to the song, as you've incorporated a lot of the little deviations I play.
Sure, there are a couple of differences - some of my fingerings are different here and there, and I use tapping on the higher notes in the two fills in the last verse - but all in all, impressive. And with attitude!

I'm flattered that you would take the time to learn my stuff - thank you!

fizzy

Thank you! :)

Haha dont be flattered, Im surely not the only one ;)
You are the "guitar hero" for alot of "glam and sleaze" fans, especially with the first Shotgun Messiah record, where the guitar playing is outstanding :)

I'm happy you liked it^^

fizzy

I dont wanna bother you,

but could you give me some hints for the Solo of "Rain" ? Its in the key of Eminor or D minor since the tuning is dropped a full step down to D. But apart from that, it is pretty fuckin hard to figure it out. SO maybe you could give me a tab which would be amazing, but I am happy aswell for some scales or licks you play there. As I said I suggest you play the aeolian mode, but I am not entirely sure.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you doing good :)

GeorgeCendejas

Nicely done! :headbange

Clearly you've listened closely to the song, as you've incorporated a lot of the little deviations I play.
Sure, there are a couple of differences - some of my fingerings are different here and there, and I use tapping on the higher notes in the two fills in the last verse - but all in all, impressive. And with attitude!

I'm flattered that you would take the time to learn my stuff - thank you!

What gauge strings do you use on your guitar?

Cody

I mostly use 9-42 gauge strings. Any normal brand will do - I'm easy.

GeorgeCendejas

I mostly use 9-42 gauge strings. Any normal brand will do - I'm easy.

I recently discovered that you used metal picks. How do you play with them they're thick and eat away at the strings. Do you use any other picks, what gauge would they be?

jbzoso2002

Wow Harry I think that its so very cool that you took the time to interact with a fan like that!:salude

Now go to your room and play that Burst again!!

Jimmy

Cody

I recently discovered that you used metal picks. How do you play with them they're thick and eat away at the strings. Do you use any other picks, what gauge would they be?

I would never change my playing style in order to spare the strings.

I always preferred thin feeling picks, but back when I used to use plastic picks, they either wore out so fast, or just plain broke apart, that I had to switch to metal.
I have a bunch of HotLicks copper picks, #9, that I really like the feel and sound of. Even they wear out, though, so I also have a standby: a stainless steel pick that I use around the house. It's more than twice the thickness of the copper ones, but it does not wear, as far as I can tell.

normal_MetalPicks.JPG

Wow Harry I think that its so very cool that you took the time to interact with a fan like that!:salude

Now go to your room and play that Burst again!!

Jimmy

You don't have to tell me twice!

Dave P

Wow, Hotlicks picks. I was at a friends music store recently, and he pulled out a junk box from under the counter, and I spied a Hotlicks pick box. Opened it up, and there was one still in there! Haven't even tried it yet, though I messed with them back in the 80's a bit.
P1060047.jpg

GeorgeCendejas

I would never change my playing style in order to spare the strings.

I always preferred thin feeling picks, but back when I used to use plastic picks, they either wore out so fast, or just plain broke apart, that I had to switch to metal.
I have a bunch of HotLicks copper picks, #9, that I really like the feel and sound of. Even they wear out, though, so I also have a standby: a stainless steel pick that I use around the house. It's more than twice the thickness of the copper ones, but it does not wear, as far as I can tell.

normal_MetalPicks.JPG

You don't have to tell me twice!

We're you using standard Fender mediums before the metal picks? Also Harry did you run the vintage marshalls with any pedals live. I read you used an overdrive, was it set for a clean boost (level on full, no gain) or for added gain? How were you getting enough gain and sustain on the the old marshalls for the recordings? Do you set those amp to everything at 10, or we're there extra boosts used?

Cody

Wow, Hotlicks picks. I was at a friends music store recently, and he pulled out a junk box from under the counter, and I spied a Hotlicks pick box. Opened it up, and there was one still in there! Haven't even tried it yet, though I messed with them back in the 80's a bit.
P1060047.jpg
Do you know if they made them in a 10? If so, that would probably have been my favorite... and perhaps the reason I only have 9's left.

Cody

We're you using standard Fender mediums before the metal picks? Also Harry did you run the vintage marshalls with any pedals live. I read you used an overdrive, was it set for a clean boost (level on full, no gain) or for added gain? How were you getting enough gain and sustain on the the old marshalls for the recordings? Do you set those amp to everything at 10, or we're there extra boosts used?
Before metal picks, I played Sharkfins for years and years - I picked with the serrated side:

gp101.png

I channel jumped the 100w Marshall that I used for the first album, and had everything close to 10, except the bass volume, which was slightly less - about 3 or 4 o'clock. I used a Boss OD-1, with just a hint of overdrive. I don't remember where I had the gain.
Since then, I've preferred using higher gain amps - no pedals to get in my way.

GeorgeCendejas

Before metal picks, I played Sharkfins for years and years - I picked with the serrated side:

gp101.png

I channel jumped the 100w Marshall that I used for the first album, and had everything close to 10, except the bass volume, which was slightly less - about 3 or 4 o'clock. I used a Boss OD-1, with just a hint of overdrive. I don't remember where I had the gain.
Since then, I've preferred using higher gain amps - no pedals to get in my way.

thanks a lot for taking time to answer my questions, I'm so intrigued with your playing, one of my favorite and best guitarists. Last questions I promise haha.

Im assuming you set the 50 watt Marshall and OD-1 the same way as the first album on "Second Coming?" I came across a live video around '92 with you using 5150's. How did you set those?

Second, with your soloing I know you mentioned not knowing much theory. Your solos Sound constructive and very modal, rather than minor major pentatonic. What is your approach and how do you incorporate those mixolydian sounding tapping licks almost Steve via-ish? Are you playing the major over a minor, I could never understand how you did that. Ex: Shout it out, I don't care bout nothing, heartbreak blvd.

Last edited: