• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Harry Cody - Second Coming

DSL-FZR

Btw, I don't now how it works but it would be really nice to have your albums on Spotify. Of course I got hold of all the albums and you also have Youtube, but I think that it would be nice to have the albums on Spotify so you easily can crank it up when partying with your friends :dude:

This just happened a few weeks back and I remembered the last thing I wrote in this thread. Second Coming is on Spotify! I have updated my scanned drawing with a completely white background so it's nice to download and print if anyone wants to:
https://www.deviantart.com/landindesign/art/Shotgun-Messiah-742389737
<strike></strike>

Rachel

To anyone on this thread willing to help a newbie (and fellow Shotgun Messiah/HKC fan):

What gear did you start out on? I'm just learning (and have very little business in this forum) but I'm hoping to get some guidance on equipment from those who clearly dig great music. So, here goes some uneducated comments and questions.... be kind. I'm an adult but most 12-year-olds have larger hands than I do. Is it ridiculous to consider a 3/4 size body for that reason?

At the local Guitar Center, I found a Schecter CR-6 that seems to have a thinner c-shape neck. (mahogany-ish body/maple neck) I'm thinking of pairing it with a smaller Line 6 Spider V. The GC person pushed the 120V (which I can actually lift!) but I really don't think that makes sense for me. I live in a condo/apartment building which I guess means headphones. :/ Woo.

Let's be real; a Les Paul is a wee bit outta my price range. I'd like to keep the guitar, amp, and widgets under $1k or so, if possible.

This is helpful: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/buying-guide-electric-guitars and this: https://www.guitarworld.com/blogs/how-buy-electric-guitar-guide-first-time-buyers but honestly, I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Another question or three, does it make sense to add a sustainer pickup to a guitar with a bolt-on neck or should something like that only be used for set neck or neck-through design?

Why are some necks in 3/5 pieces and use different woods? Is that generally for cost-savings or strength/durability? Is there something I should look for or avoid for a smaller/thinner neck?

If I get the CR-6, should I swap out the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for say EB's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings?

Do you recommend any books, videos, or apps that help in the (super) early stages of learning? I definitely plan on taking lessons but I'd like to attempt a head start so I don't make my instructor cry.

A Sustainiac pickup and Floyd Rose are potential #goals for much later.
I'm getting ahead of myself. Lots more questions. ---> Help? :##<---

Thank you for your time!

:salude
-r

*I understand I'm misplaced in this space but certainly appreciate your expertise and patience. After this, I'll return when I have a better knowledge base. :) Thanks again.

Rachel

To anyone on this thread willing to help a newbie (and fellow Shotgun Messiah/HKC fan):

What gear did you start out on? I'm just learning (and have very little business in this forum) but I'm hoping to get some guidance on equipment from those who clearly dig great music. So, here goes some uneducated comments and questions.... be kind. I'm an adult but most 12-year-olds have larger hands than I do. Is it ridiculous to consider a 3/4 size body for that reason?

At the local Guitar Center, I found a Schecter CR-6 that seems to have a thinner c-shape neck. (mahogany-ish body/maple neck) I'm thinking of pairing it with a smaller Line 6 Spider V. Why do I think I need all those effects? I don't but it was really fun to mess with at the shop. The GC guy used the 120V (which I can actually lift!) but I really don't think that makes sense for me. I live in a condo/apartment building which I guess means headphones. :/ Woo. So, 30 or 60v maybe?

Let's be real; a Les Paul is a wee bit outta my price range. I'd like to keep the guitar, amp, and widgets under $1k or so, if possible.

This is helpful: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/buying-guide-electric-guitars and this: https://www.guitarworld.com/blogs/how-buy-electric-guitar-guide-first-time-buyers but honestly, I'm feeling overwhelmed. There's so much to know.

Another question or three, does it make sense to (later) add a sustainer pickup to a guitar with a bolt-on neck or should something like that only be used for set neck or neck-through design?

Why are some necks in 3/5 pieces and use different woods? Is that generally for cost-savings or strength/durability? Is there something I should look for or avoid for a smaller/thinner neck?

If I get the CR-6, should I swap out the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for something else? I saw EB's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings mentioned on a beginner's strings list.

Do you recommend any books, videos, or apps that help in the (super) early stages of learning? I definitely plan on taking lessons but I'd like to attempt a head start so I don't make my instructor cry.

A Sustainiac pickup and Floyd Rose are potential #goals for much later. I can't imagine trying to string that now!
I'm getting ahead of myself. Lots more questions. ---> Help? :##<---

Thank you for your time!

:salude
-r

*I understand I'm misplaced in this space but certainly appreciate your expertise. After this, I'll return when I have a better knowledge base. :) Thanks again.

Last edited:

KenA

To anyone on this thread willing to help a newbie ... :) Thanks again.

===

I would follow the KISS principle.

- small hands: my case too. I use a Fender Duosonic 24" length scale. I do play 25.5 and 24 3/4 also, but the 24" is just perfect for me. Soundwise it's different. To try to compensate I use 0.08 to 0.38 on the 24" and 10's to 46's on all others. Don't think you can't get heavier sounds on thinner strings. It's basically in your hands and the amp configs!

- amps: I use S-Gear amp sim. imho, just a few of the amp sims really mimics a good valve amp's dynamics and this one gets really close. But learn that amp sim and real valve amps are and will always be 2 different things. This amp-sim was created by Mike Scuffham who designed the Marshall JMP-1 preamp and before coding the amp-sims, every amp-sim project was designed as if it was intended to be produced as hardware/real amps

- learn to use Volume and Tone knobs on your guitar, and learn to 'control' or shape the sound of the pus, in particular how to clean up the amp's drive ... this will lead you to learn about guitar potentiometers and capacitors

- FXs, I would stay away, specially in the beginning years. Learn one by one, probably Reverb. Same for Floyds and Sustainiac

- don't fall on the trap on spending too much time on things like: different woods, bolt-on vs neck through body, thousand of different pus, etc

- books: Ross Bolton Funk Guitar and Chris Hunt funk guitar books in order to get your rhythm tight

- songs and in particular studies focusing in one technique. Videos from GuitarMasterClass website are very good for that

- theory: understanding it is the easy part. knowing it (eg. applying it) takes time. learn to differentiate both stages are crucial

- learn to use a DAW and record yourself

- here probably the most important thing: use your ears, eg exercise to transcribe a song/study/or even a riff by ear. As consequences you'll get great fretboard visualization knowledge, will avoid asking for tabs? , etc ... I use Transcribe! sw

I hope the info above helps in some way ... don't rush yourself, it takes time, but be consistent in your journey!

Dakota

Who knew Harry K Cody was in here? One of those great great guitarplayers overshadowed by record company policies, upvote!

Last edited:

chebyrashka

Wow indeed, this is my favorite internet stumble in years. Shotgun Messiah was always in my top five growing up, especially Harry's playing. The good - it made me want to learn guitar, the bad - I never got close :) They were always ahead of the curve, loved every album especially VNB. A one off reunion show would be amazing.

Tusen tack Harry!

KenA

Quick update. I'd heard about the Stark Songs, but never could find a medium to good quality ones. Just found out that they are on YT : watch on YT

Says the legend that Harry K. Cody did all the vocals???

Cody

Quick update. I'd heard about the Stark Songs, but never could find a medium to good quality ones. Just found out that they are on YT : watch on YT

Says the legend that Harry K. Cody did all the vocals???
Yes, I did all the vocals... and everything else.

The vocals and guitars were left a bit sloppy on purpose. I figured I’d want to make changes to lyrics, solos and guitar arrangements before calling it finished - I always do - so I just recorded rough sketches.

I did that demo during a rather dark period, so now when I hear it, I’m struck by the lack of uptempo stuff. Still some good stuff IMO, but I hear the pain.

DCW

Hi Harry! You are AWESOME for responding to all of us sir:) Read the rumors of a possible Shotgun "something"...is this true? Know CoVID has kind of screwed things up for us all over the past year.

DCW

To all the newbies to Shotgun and Mr. Cody....this guy is SEVERELY underrated as a player. Listen to his music and you won't be able to stop. Tone freaks....ditto.

kumar0raja

Thanks for the compliments! On "Second Coming", the main sound is a 50w Marshall head modified by Folkesson, with a couple of other amps simultaneously mixed in.
teatv apk hellodear.in

Last edited:

brantfreak01

Dearest Harry K Cody,
We are still patiently waiting for some kind of video/website/anything. I know you have a full and wonderful life but there are a lot of us out here that are desperate to hear you play again. Or see some lessons or song play through. I love you man and I hope all is well.
Peace