• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Harry Cody - Second Coming

Cody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlV9szrwpI Im sure you've already seen this, I just came across it.

BTW you mentioned wanting to own an original red Jackson Rhoads like you borrowed for the video. I have one thats not doing me any good if you r interested. Would be an honor to work something out, not asking alot for it.
Oh man - that video makes me feel like a heartbreaker for not putting out more music. It’s a very moving but strange experience to have people care that much about my music.

About the red Rhoads: as much as I like the idea of owning one, realistically it wouldn’t get used as much as it should. It’s a stage guitar, and I haven’t played live for a long time. If that were to change, I’d revisit the idea. Thank you so much for offering, though.

You also asked for tone tips... I don’t really have a tone philosophy; I crank tube amps and see if the sound inspires me. I am adaptable, so I can make most amps (and guitars) sound like me. I think it’s a consequence of not owning an amp for the first few years of playing in a band, so I would just have to borrow an amp (and a cooler guitar) on the day of the gig, and no matter what I ended up with, I had to make it work for me.

I’ve played in bands since pretty much day one, so I’ve learned that to cut through, a drier sound with fewer effects works better. I also probably have more treble and mids than someone who dials in a great bedroom level sound with their pedalboard. There is no right or wrong, of course, but whenever I use someone else’s rig, I end up turning off most of the bells and whistles.

:salude

Last edited:

BerkleeBuck

Oh, crap!! I just got tasked with learning the solo to Heartbreak Blvd. I always knew the chords (from watching Harry play it on the 92/93 tours) but never fussed with trying to learn the solo before now. Wish me luck!!
:dude:

MrRhoads

I was searching on the internet more about Harry and I discovered the band before Kingpin, called Shylock. Any fan of Harry and SM should listen to the demos that are on Youtube. Fucking great songs!!!

Cody

Oh, crap!! I just got tasked with learning the solo to Heartbreak Blvd. I always knew the chords (efrom watching Harry play it on the 92/93 tours) but never fussed with trying to learn the solo before now. Wish me luck!!
:dude:

It’s a grab bag of whammy, fast picking, a bit of tapping, and quite a few jumps from one end of the board to the other. It can be hard to hear exactly what I’m doing on the studio version, as there are two takes of the solo playing simultaneously. It’s not intentionally double tracked, just a final mix decision to play two takes at the same time.

You don’t HAVE to nail the solo to do the song justice, but if that’s what you’re going for, i’m sure you’ll do fine. Good luck!

I was searching on the internet more about Harry and I discovered the band before Kingpin, called Shylock. Any fan of Harry and SM should listen to the demos that are on Youtube. Fucking great songs!!!

You’re FAR too kind. I can’t even listen to them anymore, as it’s painfully obvious that I had not yet found my style. I will say that those were fun times, though.

brantfreak01

Hey Harry!
Thank you for the music and inspiration you've given us. I still listen to Second Coming at least once a month. My band opened up for you guys in Dayton, Ohio in 92 and you blew me away. Swear to God I sold my rack and pedals after seeing you play and play with a very dry sound still to this day. You da man! Anyway, please please get a YouTube channel going or a website and do some videos for us. You have a legion of fans out here still begging for more. I'm sure you have a busy life but there are so many guitarists out here that are still inspired by you and still idolize you. Thank you for EVERYTHING Harry!

Ryant73

I searched the world over (well online) for about 5 years back between like 03-08 for anything Cody related after 5 years I threw my hands up in the air and gave up. I was listening to VNB yesterday and decided well, it's been awhile I'll see if anything comes up if I google him and here I am. This is great.. Lots of incredible feed back from the man himself, which is beyond awesome. I grew up in the 80's. When I was a kid in the 70's we're talking pre-10 years old, I heard bands like Kiss, Zepp etc. But it never really resonated w/ me, probably cause I was just young and to busy being a kid. But in 82' I heard Mr. Crowley for the first time and that was it, I was 9. My life became music after that. The 80's was an incredible time to live, especially when it came to guitar.. But I have to say as much as I can name over 100 guys that inspired me, there were 4 guys that just completely resonated w/ me and blew my mind. Randy Rhoads, EVH, Vito Bratta and Harry K. Cody. Those 4 guys' playing just hit me differently than say Nuno, P. Gilbert etc. But Harry was the last guy that hit me in the head that way. For me what makes Harry stand out even more is that there were only three SM albums, all three were completely different.. Insanely different. Harry came in like Mike Tyson back in the day. Came in and like minutes later left my head completely destroyed. Every single song I still hear something new And ask what the?? How the?? it's just insane million miles an hour of guitar insanity. Even the slower songs like Living without you and Ride the Storm the solo's are just mind blowing (BTW, Ride the Storm is still my all time favorite guitar solo of all time). So, just wanted by chance if Cody see's this. Dude.. you're playing on those albums were way more influential than you may think for a lot of us. And I can quite honestly tell you, the world of music misses and needs you. But, I get it even though you are one of the most talented axe-men, i've ever heard doesn't mean it'll pay the bills. But with technology today, a lot of guys are just recording stuff at home. Ever think about doing something like that and releasing it on a Independent label? It would be amazing to hear more from you. Or even do some youtube video's of playing just so us fans can get a Cody fix? Just curious. Also, i didn't read every comment here, but did you talk about what pups you used? Anything specific? Thanks again Harry for kickin' our backsides so hard w/ just a few albums and taking the time to chat here.. really Flippin' cool man..

Ryant73

I searched the world over (well online) for about 5 years back between like 03-08 for anything Cody related after 5 years I threw my hands up in the air and gave up. I was listening to VNB yesterday and decided well, it's been awhile I'll see if anything comes up if I google him and here I am. This is great.. Lots of incredible feed back from the man himself, which is beyond awesome. I grew up in the 80's. When I was a kid in the 70's we're talking pre-10 years old, I heard bands like Kiss, Zepp etc. But it never really resonated w/ me, probably cause I was just young and to busy being a kid. But in 82' I heard Mr. Crowley for the first time and that was it, I was 9. My life became music after that. The 80's was an incredible time to live, especially when it came to guitar.. But I have to say as much as I can name over 100 guys that inspired me, there were 4 guys that just completely resonated w/ me and blew my mind. Randy Rhoads, EVH, Vito Bratta and Harry K. Cody. Those 4 guys' playing just hit me differently than say Nuno, P. Gilbert etc. But Harry was the last guy that hit me in the head that way. For me what makes Harry stand out even more is that there were only three SM albums, all three were completely different.. Insanely different. Harry came in like Mike Tyson back in the day. Came in and like minutes later left my head completely destroyed. Every single song I still hear something new And ask what the?? How the?? it's just insane million miles an hour of guitar insanity. Even the slower songs like Living without you and Ride the Storm the solo's are just mind blowing (BTW, Ride the Storm is still my all time favorite guitar solo of all time). So, just wanted by chance if Cody see's this. Dude.. you're playing on those albums were way more influential than you may think for a lot of us. And I can quite honestly tell you, the world of music misses and needs you. But, I get it even though you are one of the most talented axe-men, i've ever heard doesn't mean it'll pay the bills. But with technology today, a lot of guys are just recording stuff at home. Ever think about doing something like that and releasing it on a Independent label? It would be amazing to hear more from you. Or even do some youtube video's of playing just so us fans can get a Cody fix? Just curious. Also, i didn't read every comment here, but did you talk about what pups you used? Anything specific? Thanks again Harry for kickin' our backsides so hard w/ just a few albums and taking the time to chat here.. really Flippin' cool man..:dude:

Ryant73

Hey Harry!
Thank you for the music and inspiration you've given us. I still listen to Second Coming at least once a month. My band opened up for you guys in Dayton, Ohio in 92 and you blew me away. Swear to God I sold my rack and pedals after seeing you play and play with a very dry sound still to this day. You da man! Anyway, please please get a YouTube channel going or a website and do some videos for us. You have a legion of fans out here still begging for more. I'm sure you have a busy life but there are so many guitarists out here that are still inspired by you and still idolize you. Thank you for EVERYTHING Harry!

I agree.. would be amazing if he did a youtube channel or something... Brilliant musician.

Harry cody fan

Hi Harry, long time fan of yours, bought the first SM album on cassette at wal-mart the week it came out. Been a fan all the way since, got the other 2 when they came out :hee . I am curious about your song "In a matter of seconds", your playing clean with delay what else am l missing ??? I know there is more to it.... any help would be greatly appreciated, BTW, you are on my mount rushmore of guitarist along with Vai, Hendrix, and Jake E Lee. Would it to be too much to ask for an autograph ?? Take care and l hope the best of you....

Cody

Hey Harry!
Thanks for the kind words - I’m starting to feel really enthused about the video thing!

:yah

Cody

I searched the world over (well online) for about 5 years back between like 03-08 for anything Cody related after 5 years I threw my hands up in the air and gave up. I was listening to VNB yesterday and decided well, it's been awhile I'll see if anything comes up if I google him and here I am. This is great.. Lots of incredible feed back from the man himself, which is beyond awesome. I grew up in the 80's. When I was a kid in the 70's we're talking pre-10 years old, I heard bands like Kiss, Zepp etc. But it never really resonated w/ me, probably cause I was just young and to busy being a kid. But in 82' I heard Mr. Crowley for the first time and that was it, I was 9. My life became music after that. The 80's was an incredible time to live, especially when it came to guitar.. But I have to say as much as I can name over 100 guys that inspired me, there were 4 guys that just completely resonated w/ me and blew my mind. Randy Rhoads, EVH, Vito Bratta and Harry K. Cody. Those 4 guys' playing just hit me differently than say Nuno, P. Gilbert etc. But Harry was the last guy that hit me in the head that way. For me what makes Harry stand out even more is that there were only three SM albums, all three were completely different.. Insanely different. Harry came in like Mike Tyson back in the day. Came in and like minutes later left my head completely destroyed. Every single song I still hear something new And ask what the?? How the?? it's just insane million miles an hour of guitar insanity. Even the slower songs like Living without you and Ride the Storm the solo's are just mind blowing (BTW, Ride the Storm is still my all time favorite guitar solo of all time). So, just wanted by chance if Cody see's this. Dude.. you're playing on those albums were way more influential than you may think for a lot of us. And I can quite honestly tell you, the world of music misses and needs you. But, I get it even though you are one of the most talented axe-men, i've ever heard doesn't mean it'll pay the bills. But with technology today, a lot of guys are just recording stuff at home. Ever think about doing something like that and releasing it on a Independent label? It would be amazing to hear more from you. Or even do some youtube video's of playing just so us fans can get a Cody fix? Just curious. Also, i didn't read every comment here, but did you talk about what pups you used? Anything specific? Thanks again Harry for kickin' our backsides so hard w/ just a few albums and taking the time to chat here.. really Flippin' cool man..:dude:
Thank you!

That’s some very interesting, and flattering, company to be in - EVH, Rhoads and Bratta.

VH’s first album was such a revolution to me - one massive guitar sound; fills and cool noises wherever he could fit them in, and as a part of the main track; always pushing the envelope. While I didn’t get into his “pattern” playing (a bit jazzy for a 12-bar rocker like me), I knew that I could use some of the aforementioned concepts to enhance what I was doing.

When I heard Rhoads, he used those same concepts within his own style. There was the same approach to fills and noises as part of the main track (“Flying High Again” springs to mind), but unlike EVH, doubled, hard left/right panned rhythm tracks. I’d heard VH in car stereos with one speaker out, so you could only hear the reverb of the guitar... I made a mental note to adopt the doubling for myself.

Bratta had developed into a standout in the guitar playing field in the late ‘80s. His beautifully melodic, technically complex playing didn’t sound like anyone else. The solo in White Lion’s “Wait” is masterful.

I’m glad you like the solo in “Ride The Storm”. It is one of my very best, IMO.

Cody

Hi Harry, long time fan of yours, bought the first SM album on cassette at wal-mart the week it came out. Been a fan all the way since, got the other 2 when they came out :hee . I am curious about your song "In a matter of seconds", your playing clean with delay what else am l missing ??? I know there is more to it.... any help would be greatly appreciated, BTW, you are on my mount rushmore of guitarist along with Vai, Hendrix, and Jake E Lee. Would it to be too much to ask for an autograph ?? Take care and l hope the best of you....
Hi, and thanks! Man, the list of names listed alongside mine gets more intimidating by the post!

At first I had no idea what track you were talking about - I had to Google it. It was something that I recorded for a commercial that didn’t get picked. When the company I worked for wanted to add it to their music library, they gave it a name - “In A Matter Of Seconds”. I had no hand in naming any of my library cuts, so it didn’t ring a bell.

I don’t remember what the commercial was, but the track has a fluttering/flitting feel to me, like butterflies or leaves. There’s a really fast run in there that’s a speeded up version of a run in the solo for Shotgun’s “Living Without You”.

I played it on my ‘59 Burst - sounds like the middle position, which has that out-of-phase thing going.
I don’t like my clean sounds to be all that clean, so it has that breakup in there. I can’t imagine that I went through the trouble of mic’ing an actual Fender Tweed amp, so I’m fairly certain that it’s one of my virtual amps in ProTools - AmpFarm or Eleven - set to either a Fender Tweed amp, or possibly a Silverface.

The delay is a ProTools plug-in, and since the whole track really is built around the ping-ponging melody at the end, the delay is set to that timing - similar to EVH’s “Cathedral” delay. The low “rhythm” notes in that section are overdubs.

Sure - message me your address, and I’ll send you an autograph!

Cody

Ryant73: I forgot to answer your question about pickups.

I haven’t swapped the stock pickups out of a guitar since the first album, when I put a Schecter Superock in the bridge of the Yamaha that was my main player. Since then, I’ve found the stock pickups useful in whatever guitar I’ve used, whether it was the ceramics in my LP Classic or the 57Classics in a burst replica I toured with. I usually just fiddle with the amp to make the best possible use of the sound I’ve got.

Ryant73

Ryant73: I forgot to answer your question about pickups.

I haven’t swapped the stock pickups out of a guitar since the first album, when I put a Schecter Superock in the bridge of the Yamaha that was my main player. Since then, I’ve found the stock pickups useful in whatever guitar I’ve used, whether it was the ceramics in my LP Classic or the 57Classics in a burst replica I toured with. I usually just fiddle with the amp to make the best possible use of the sound I’ve got.

I think it's really inspiring and kind of like a "breath of fresh air" to hear that you didn't get into the whole obsessive thing of switching pups, blocks etc. you just plugged in, tweeked the amp and played. That just shows even more how much incredible awesomeness comes from the hands and not "gizmo's".

Ryant73

Thank you!

That’s some very interesting, and flattering, company to be in - EVH, Rhoads and Bratta.

VH’s first album was such a revolution to me - one massive guitar sound; fills and cool noises wherever he could fit them in, and as a part of the main track; always pushing the envelope. While I didn’t get into his “pattern” playing (a bit jazzy for a 12-bar rocker like me), I knew that I could use some of the aforementioned concepts to enhance what I was doing.

When I heard Rhoads, he used those same concepts within his own style. There was the same approach to fills and noises as part of the main track (“Flying High Again” springs to mind), but unlike EVH, doubled, hard left/right panned rhythm tracks. I’d heard VH in car stereos with one speaker out, so you could only hear the reverb of the guitar... I made a mental note to adopt the doubling for myself.

Bratta had developed into a standout in the guitar playing field in the late ‘80s. His beautifully melodic, technically complex playing didn’t sound like anyone else. The solo in White Lion’s “Wait” is masterful.

I’m glad you like the solo in “Ride The Storm”. It is one of my very best, IMO.

Thanks for responding, really cool. Yeah well in my mind you deserve to be in that group, just all 4 had something completely different to offer. And you're right Bratta's melodic, complex music was masterful and perfectly tasteful. Just seemed like every note he played had a purpose and belonged. You're "Ride the Storm" solo for me though, actually reminded me of Bratta in a way, His "Warsong" solo at the 3:50 mark", both are so very melodic, masterful and man, just so flippin' tasteful. WRTS man what a solo you recorded though. That shift in it at the 3:00 mark always gets me man. Just so much emotion and feeling in that. I can't even put into words how much I love that song and that solo, in case you couldn't tell ha :). But honestly, every song you recorded was incredible so..again, that brings me back to you 4 guys that totally "blew my mind". I hear a lot of people kinda dissin' the late 80's early 90's, but for me honestly, musically, I can't really think of a better time. But such a "fleeting" time. It seemed like over night you and Vito walked away as well as just about every one else that was inspiring me at that time. 94' sucked..for me, that's when the music died. But, thanks for the work you put out there, it'll always be there for us to enjoy and be inspired by...

Maskadeo

9571B152-C756-4106-9EE5-88A7B6624A4C.jpgF75FCBB7-475A-4FCF-BFA1-C79ED519E303.jpg8C48E79B-56F0-4CBD-A4DF-9FEEDB442B79.jpg

Harry,

Any recollection of this guitar? 1985 Jackson Tele Custom Shop with Shotgun Messiah stenciled on the case.

Cody

Harry, do you still have the Yamaha? That guitar is gorgeous!
No, it’s long gone. It disappeared under mysterious circumstances, but I didn’t miss it all that much. I only got it because it was damn near impossible to find a Jackson without a Kahler in Sweden at the time. Once I got to the States, I had access to all the good stuff.

:hank