• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Harry Cody - Second Coming

KenA

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and by luck I just found this great post when searching topics from the good and ol' Mr. Harry K. Cody ... it's also great to see that the guy himself is around here ... great photo by the way ... still looking bad ass as usual :)

I literally read all the threads and in particular found very interesting Harry's comment on Second Coming album to almost being done more 'industrial-ish' ... well, we never know what would have happened, maybe VNB wouldn't happened at all or would be better accepted? In regards to VNB, besides being one of the best albums of that time, another thing that impresses me until today, is the over all production and programming done. I remember Cybersank ( Sanken Sandqvist ) was involved with production and maybe mixing/mastering/engineering also? Another important aspect of VNB is that although one can call it 'industrial', it's industrial with guitar solos and the 80ies vibe still ingrained in the music. In my opinion that was very unique to SM.

I remember late '93 in New York I heard in the radio an announcement of a show to be held in the Limelight venue, really cold night! I was very curious to see how VNB would be live and I really enjoyed every song. A few months ago I posted a few photos of that show in the Skold page, I'll post them here too ... amazing show ... unforgettable ... I don't remember who was the drummer and the bassist ... they were great too.

1993.94--USA--shotgun.messiah--limelight.NY.1.jpg - 1993.94--USA--shotgun.messiah--limelight.NY.2.jpg
1993.94--USA--shotgun.messiah--limelight.NY.3.jpg - 1993.94--USA--shotgun.messiah--limelight.NY.4.jpg

mattsmusic

Hey Harry -

Just wanted to let you know you've got a huge fan in Boston! I'm a GIT grad and have played in many bands throughout my life. As you said, in order to be successful you need the full package, plus some luck. I came real close a few times but was never able to close the deal. Anyway, SM is one of my favorite bands and has been since I first heard you guys. You're one hell of a player with awesome tone and great style. Every solo is fantastic with innovative twists. Thanks for the great music!

Matt

Cody

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and by luck I just found this great post when searching topics from the good and ol' Mr. Harry K. Cody ... it's also great to see that the guy himself is around here ... great photo by the way ... still looking bad ass as usual :)

I literally read all the threads and in particular found very interesting Harry's comment on Second Coming album to almost being done more 'industrial-ish' ... well, we never know what would have happened, maybe VNB wouldn't happened at all or would be better accepted? In regards to VNB, besides being one of the best albums of that time, another thing that impresses me until today, is the over all production and programming done. I remember Cybersank ( Sanken Sandqvist ) was involved with production and maybe mixing/mastering/engineering also? Another important aspect of VNB is that although one can call it 'industrial', it's industrial with guitar solos and the 80ies vibe still ingrained in the music. In my opinion that was very unique to SM.

I remember late '93 in New York I heard in the radio an announcement of a show to be held in the Limelight venue, really cold night! I was very curious to see how VNB would be live and I really enjoyed every song. A few months ago I posted a few photos of that show in the Skold page, I'll post them here too ... amazing show ... unforgettable ... I don't remember who was the drummer and the bassist ... they were great too.

View attachment 5741 - View attachment 5742
View attachment 5743 - View attachment 5744

I missed this post until yesterday - my apologies!

The VNB album was arranged/performed/recorded by Sank, Skold and me, and then mixed and mastered by Stefan Glaumann, who went on to do cool stuff for Rammstein. The song structure was still very "rock", because while we liked the sound and intensity of industrial, I never much cared for the repetitive arrangements. We wanted to combine the genres, and I'm pretty damn proud of the result!

I love the shots from the Limelight! Such a cool venue! The bass player was Pat Guyton, and the phenomenal drummer was Bjarne Johansson - a homie from way back when.

Due to the lack of support from the label, I was miserable for most of that tour, and I'm pretty sure it showed. If anyone reading this met me then, I probably should apologize.

:bh

Cody

Hey Harry -

Just wanted to let you know you've got a huge fan in Boston! I'm a GIT grad and have played in many bands throughout my life. As you said, in order to be successful you need the full package, plus some luck. I came real close a few times but was never able to close the deal. Anyway, SM is one of my favorite bands and has been since I first heard you guys. You're one hell of a player with awesome tone and great style. Every solo is fantastic with innovative twists. Thanks for the great music!

Matt

Thanks, Matt! I much appreciate the comments!

:salude

KenA

I missed this post until yesterday - my apologies!
The VNB album was arranged/performed/recorded by Sank, Skold and me, and then mixed and mastered by Stefan Glaumann, who went on to do cool stuff for Rammstein. The song structure was still very "rock", because while we liked the sound and intensity of industrial, I never much cared for the repetitive arrangements. We wanted to combine the genres, and I'm pretty damn proud of the result!
I love the shots from the Limelight! Such a cool venue! The bass player was Pat Guyton, and the phenomenal drummer was Bjarne Johansson - a homie from way back when.
Due to the lack of support from the label, I was miserable for most of that tour, and I'm pretty sure it showed. If anyone reading this met me then, I probably should apologize.

Hey Harry, thanks for the feedback ... Sank + Skold +You ... I keep trying to do a mental visualization of you guys working on that album ... imagine if we had a making off DVD for VNB, hehe

BerkleeBuck

Thank you for the kind words! Yes, there really were a lot of great guitarists in the '80s pushing the boundaries of what was "allowed" in the context of rock - a fun time of exploration. I'm honored that you count me among the good ones.

I've got a nice life in SoCal. I've been making music for commercials and radio stations for the past 20 or so years. I'm currently thinking about what I'd like to do next.

Cheers,
Harry

Hey Harry. Somewhat thrilling for me to stumble upon this thread here and read all of your responses. I was a *huge* fan of SM and specifically, your playing. Your style and patterns were a big influence on my own playing, so for that I am thankful. Actually, it was Al Pitrelli of TSO/Savatage fame who turned me onto you. The 80s were indeed a great and exciting time for guitarists.

I was lucky enough to have seen you on both the SC and VNB tours as well. Both were truly great experiences being able to watch you rip it up in a live setting :)

Fantastic to read you're still playing and doing your thing out in Cali. One of the number one questions running around my mind for the past 24 years has been "whatever happened to Harry K?" This thread finally gave me the answer <3

cheers,
-Bb

Cody

Hey Harry. Somewhat thrilling for me to stumble upon this thread here and read all of your responses. I was a *huge* fan of SM and specifically, your playing. Your style and patterns were a big influence on my own playing, so for that I am thankful. Actually, it was Al Pitrelli of TSO/Savatage fame who turned me onto you. The 80s were indeed a great and exciting time for guitarists.

I was lucky enough to have seen you on both the SC and VNB tours as well. Both were truly great experiences being able to watch you rip it up in a live setting :)

Fantastic to read you're still playing and doing your thing out in Cali. One of the number one questions running around my mind for the past 24 years has been "whatever happened to Harry K?" This thread finally gave me the answer <3

cheers,
-Bb
Thanks, BerkleeBuck! I appreciate the compliments, and I'm always honored to hear that I influenced a fellow guitarist's playing style. High praise!

I'm extra honored that you first heard of me from a guitarist of Al Pitrelli's caliber!

Your post made a good day better!

Cheers,
Harry

Cody

Hey Harry, what gauge strings are you using for les Paul. Do you keep to 9-42?
Yes - I've tried to go heavier on a couple of occasions, but in the end it hampers my playing more than it improves my tone, so I just decided I'm a 9's kind of guy.

:yah

DCW

Harry Cody...I just found this post after trying to do a search for "Rig Rundown" on you....was looking to find out what Folkesson did that was so special to your Marshall....simply awesome tone.

After reading this, I joined this post so I could let you know how many people- and how much -you have positively impacted all of us, our numbers are easily in the tens of thousands if not more. You are a guitar hero for so many....and believe me, more people admire you and your playing/writing than you will ever know. You are very humble. I have met many rock stars over my years, always wish i could have met you.

Many of us still listen to Shotgun. I still haven't found a stereo that can play "Sex Drugs" loud enough! AWESOME music to this day...always amazes me how a song can instantly bring you back....put a smile on your face and remember doing all the things you shouldn't have been doing:dude: I also want to remind you there is a whole new generation of kids who are into 80/90s "metal", they need to find you!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a minute to let you know YOU have made a huge impact in our lives, never forget it:)

Cody

Harry Cody...I just found this post after trying to do a search for "Rig Rundown" on you....was looking to find out what Folkesson did that was so special to your Marshall....simply awesome tone.

After reading this, I joined this post so I could let you know how many people- and how much -you have positively impacted all of us, our numbers are easily in the tens of thousands if not more. You are a guitar hero for so many....and believe me, more people admire you and your playing/writing than you will ever know. You are very humble. I have met many rock stars over my years, always wish i could have met you.

Many of us still listen to Shotgun. I still haven't found a stereo that can play "Sex Drugs" loud enough! AWESOME music to this day...always amazes me how a song can instantly bring you back....put a smile on your face and remember doing all the things you shouldn't have been doing:dude: I also want to remind you there is a whole new generation of kids who are into 80/90s "metal", they need to find you!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a minute to let you know YOU have made a huge impact in our lives, never forget it:)
Thank you!

I do keep running into people who hold Shotgun in high regard, and I feel blessed. When I started out, my idea of success was to create music that would move someone, somewhere, the same way my idols moved me. I think I've accomplished that, and it feels good.

DCW

Any tone tips you care to share? Thanks for the response....very cool of you! Just wanted you to know you made a diffrerence:salude

DCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlV9szrwpI Im sure you've already seen this, I just came across it.

BTW you mentioned wanting to own an original red Jackson Rhoads like you borrowed for the video. I have one thats not doing me any good if you r interested. Would be an honor to work something out, not asking alot for it.

MrRhoads

Would be awesome if Harry recorded videos playing the amazing Shotgun songs.