The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Paul McCartney's Touring '60

Last edited by oceantoad; 08-23-10 at 11:18 PM.

nah..just better with age.. like a fine wine..

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    You must have the most incredible job!

Thanks for posting!
    You are welcome! Yes & no sir. I'm still just trying to "make up" for the '05 California wild fire.

It took away my dream, my '60 , but it made me strong in other ways. Ya know?

Like...I'm still standing and I truly believe that there is something greater in store.

Again, I just wish that he played one that we all knew.

..for my main man, Bassbob...

CLICKEY HERE

Holy Veggie~vita`macca~burgers ... 780 hits in 24 hours?

Does LPF "ROCK" or what?

Last edited by oceantoad; 08-24-10 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Whiskey View Post
    Great thread.

There are times when McCartney rambles on a bit too long and too often between songs but overall I admire the guy and especially what he's done for the world of music.

Not directly because of him, but because of the Beatles I probably never would have become so interested in music...
    Yeah, well, he has had the practice over the years... now hasn't he?

It has always been Paul's great pleasure to introduce the .."next.. song.. for you ..now!" ..

i'd ramble on too if I was tryin' to catch "my" breath all the time. check it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0B0...feature=search
    Last edited by oceantoad; 08-24-10 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceantoad View Post
    Again, I just wish that he played one that we all knew.

..for my main man, Bassbob...

CLICKEY HERE

Still making the gals cry Eh OT?

Yes sir he has that effect. I was there & it still gives me the chills , in a good way.

Always has, always will...

The last time I saw him Linda was still alive. '89 I think, it was the New World Tour. He sold out the old Busch Stadium. Man what a show. My mom cried, but that was probably more from watching her son get trashed on Budweiser and ganja.
    I got blood on my neck from success.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I saw him twice in 2001. I had never seen any of the Beatles before and I'm 47.
    My wife and I both got a little misty a few times during the set. That music is so loaded with connections from our lives and hearing him sing and play them is incredible. Linda had died not too long before, and George too. When he sang "My Love". When he whipped out the George Uke with the stories of that... man.

He can ramble all he wants. That, folks is the oral tradition--from the master.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    not to mention a fine example of a good person, and is a living treasure IMO.
    More than a couple of people have told me they consider him to be a cheap old bastard...

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

I guess I struck a nerve here with the rambling on comment. I'm not implying that his perspective on the songs aren't interesting or relavent. The Beatles certainly are my biggest musical influence and I was there during the whole time the Beatles existed; have heard most of these stories many times over. My point is the reason I like the Beatles so much is because of their music. When I'm listening to music at a concert there is an emotional momentum that can be generated by seamlessly transitioning from one song to another or setting up a musical dynamic with an interesting set; like the 2nd side of Abbey Road. The interruption of this dynamic gets to be "a well know drag" when it is continously broken between every song for story time. I've discussed this with friends before who argue that the stories are the part of the concert they like best. Anyway to each his own; no one is right or wrong here. I'm just glad McCartney's still on the planet and performing.

Amen to that brother. I just can't get into any of his new music, but I sure like watching him perform and I sometimes spend hours watching old early 70s YT clips.

Frickengruvin

Guitar Whiskey said:I guess I struck a nerve here with the rambling on comment...

I would say this...There is up to four generations attending his shows now, and not all those generations have your benefit of "being there" when the songs were first released.....so a little expansion on Paul's part is cool, and often times poignant....

Guitar Whiskey said: My point is the reason I like the Beatles so much is because of their music.

Me too, but to quote Wilko, their music strums a chord in so many parts of our collective lives, that's it's not just the music, it's the guys that made the music too....

I'm proud to say I've seen Paul a couple of times, both phenominal shows, and both the most emotional shows I've ever attended.

They are something special, and we should consider ourselves lucky that he is still giving it to us in a manner consistant with most things Beatles....

FAB!

These are the best pics of the Macca burst I've ever seen. I love the transition of dark to light up near the toggle switch. Thanks OceanToad.

Les Paul Forum Member triggeron6string's Avatar

Oceantoad,
    I am awstruck with you images of one of the greatest musicians in history. I must ask how do you have access to his tour. Are you with the group, pro photographer, ?
    Live to Play. Play to feel alive.

Les Paul Forum Member

thanks OT ...those are some wonderful pix !

Thanks for sharing your great shots!

Paul is THE MAN
    Old guitars please

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    More than a couple of people have told me they consider him to be a cheap old bastard...
    ???

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oceantoad View Post
    btw.. I once sat on the plane "next" to you (maybe the shuttle) the same year you bought your 1st Burst in Dallas, or was it Arlington ?
    I had totally forgotten that - cool! Are you going to come back to one of the Texas Guitar Shows someday soon?

On topic:
    I have only been to 1 Paul McCartney concert and I can honestly say it was probably the single best concert I've ever seen! Paul works hard to put on a fantastic show.

This is a great thread - thanx again, 'Toad!
    When you have the same guitar (or pedal, pickup, or amp) that your favorite player uses to play that music and make those sounds, you know that piece of equipment isn't part of the "problem", and you can either move on to blaming the next piece of gear or get down to playing and seeing if you can really do it.

I saw Paul at the Staples Center in L.A. in '02 or '03 and he put on an amazing show. One of my brothers had a line on box seats at the Hollywood Bowl for this year's tour and even though the tickets were $725 each (face value + ticketbastard convenience fees etc.), we both agreed that there wasn't anyone on the the planet (among the living) we would want to see more -- at any price, so we went with our wives and Paul and his superb band played for nearly three hours. It was a very memorable show and while his voice isn't quite what it once was, it's still very good! In my opinion, this performance was better than the one earlier this decade that I attended. Our box was up at the front and to the sides and behind us were plenty of high-profile musicians, including Dave Grohl, Herbie Hancock, Steven Tyler, Joe Walsh, Jeff Lynn, Patrick Simmons and Ben Harper. These were just the guys in our immediate vicinity that I recognized. I'm sure there were plenty more in attendance, after all, he IS Paul McCartney! Paul (and a little band he used to be in back in the '60s) is a source of inspiration for just about everybody.

An interesting side note is that according to Wikipedia, Paul McCartney is the most successful song writer of all time. Let that sink in for a moment.

Back on topic: it's great that he has a burst and that he's willing to take it out on tour and play it a lot. I think it's fantastic that he still owns, plays and tours with instruments from his days with The Beatles too!

With a personal fortune estimated to be in excess of $1 billion, he does not need to tour for the money! I, for one, am very happy that he is still able and willing to share his gift for songwriting and performing with his legion of fans.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

I just saw this video for the first time and thought I'd post it here in this thread.

"The last time I remember it bringing me to tears was when we were playing Amoeba Records Store in Los Angeles and I was singing 'Here Today' for John, which is always an emotional song because it brings back memories of me and John when we were kids. I was holding it together until I looked into the audience and because it was a record store I could see everyone clearly. I just saw this girl who had totally lost it and was weeping and it got me. I tried to look away and forget it but it was impossible - I just went with her." - Paul McCartney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaF5B...layer_embedded

+1 well stated.

I'd say a very significant pecentage of people in US and Western Europe, any post-gradeschool generation, probably knows the lyrics to at least one song written by Paul McCartney. His music has spanned the globe across cultures, generations, language barriers, etc. It's mind boggling.

Les Paul Forum Member pit_s_xroad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mingus View Post

It was a very memorable show and while his voice isn't quite what it once was, it's still very good!

...and, if I am not wrong, he still sings his older Beatles (Helter Skelter...) and Wings (Rockshow...) songs all in the original key they once have been recorded. Other Rock-Giants went down one or two steps over the years... Amazing man, good ole Paul ...

PIT...

Formerly fishnose
    Les Paul Forum Member

Fantastic thread and pics!!

/GV

Around Louisiana way
    Lived a cage and lady

C: I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth,
    and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!
    O: Come again?
    C: I want to buy some cheese.

- Python

Les Paul Forum Member Fred Hullerum's Avatar

Paul has given me so much beautiful music and moments.
    I would give him my lefthanded 1960 LP TV als a gift, if he ever asks for it. This 1960 TV would be a perfect complement to his 1960 LP Standard... It is even more rare than his 1960 Standard - it is the only known lefthanded double cut TV in the world. He deserves this guitar more than me.

BTW:

In an earlier thread I heard that Gibson started to produce Lefties in a batch of four pieces.

There are 3 known Standards from 1960; these three guitars share the same "issue" (not being routed correctly (mirrored) under the maple top.). So there must be at least another one.

There ist one known Standard from 1959 (the McEnroe). This ist a "real" lefty - completely mirrored inside. So there must be at least three 1959 lefty Standards that are still sleeping under someones bed...

Fred

Great, great thread! Thanks for the pics!

Formerly fishnose
    Les Paul Forum Member

Fred, love that TV! I'm a lefty myself.
    But hey, according to your own logic, there should be 3 more like it

/GV

Around Louisiana way
    Lived a cage and lady

C: I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth,
    and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!
    O: Come again?
    C: I want to buy some cheese.

- Python

Could this be the most valuable or "collectable" guitar in the world?

Just a guess but its one of only 3 burst and it was owned by one of the most famous musicians of the day.
    Last edited by JohnnyAquanet; 08-25-10 at 06:48 PM.

I vote for Paul's personal bass being the most collectable guitar in the world. I bet that one has more icon identity than a Les Paul.

I'd say that or Pagey's #1

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAquanet View Post
    Could this be the most valuable or "collectable" guitar in the world?

Just a guess but its one of only 3 burst and it was owned by one of the most famous musicians of the day.
    Probably not. There is no Beatle association with this guitar.
    Many would say his Hofner bass is worth more.

And, it is one of four [known] left handed Bursts.
    I wouldn't hold out hope of four more turning up.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member PatentAppliedFor's Avatar

nice thread toad!

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    Probably not. There is no Beatle association with this guitar.
    Many would say his Hofner bass is worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarvoodoo View Post
    But hey, according to your own logic, there should be 3 more like it

/GV
    Not necessarily. The assumedly four double cut lefty "Juniors" that Gibson made 1960 were just pure wood in the beginning. My TV was routed to be a "TV" model; it was routed for one pickup and sprayed yellow. Other blanks got two pickups, they named it "Special". There are two 1960 lefty Specials on the market, a yellow and a red one. The red (mint) one ist still for sale in New York; the yellow (quite used) can be found only in the WBG archives, but it is not mentioned to be sold. The "fourth" is still missing.

With a LP Standard you cannot do such things. The body of the "Custom" was pure mahagony. Another color was not available in 1959 or 1960. (The last Goldtop was produced in 1958.)

So if you find three 1960 LP Standards with the same anomaly under the top, there must be a fourth one.

So if you find one perfectly mirrored 1959 LP Standard, there must be three more out of the same batch.

Just my theory...

Fred

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hullerum View Post
    (The last Goldtop was produced in 1958.)

Fred
    There is a 59 Goldtop.

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

red59dot

Here's my Sir Paul moment. Sound check on the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York before his "rooftop" performance on the Letterman show in May of last year. Taken from my office window.

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    There is a 59 Goldtop.

That's why I love this forum, Tom. You always learn something new. This Goldtop also shows us: Goldtops since the invention of the humbucking pickup (from 57 on) are - technically - "Bursts". So Julio ist absolutely right to present also the Goldtops from 57 to 59 on "burstserial.com".

I was browsing through burstserial.com today and found some interesting guitars that corroborate my theory of the "batch of four".

Just take the first four guitars on Julios site in the gallery of 1957:

7-1337
    7-1382
    7-1385
    7-1890

They are all lefthanded. What a beginning!

The next four guitars (righthanded of course) spot a black pickguard pp.

7-2371
    7-2540
    7-2543
    7-2901

Only a strange coincidence?

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Hullerum; 08-26-10 at 05:07 PM. Reason: mistake