• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul McCartney's Touring '60

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Did not Gibson use a "different red paint" on 60' meant not to fade as much as 58's and 59's ?

Someone was trigger happy in the booth?

Only for the latter part of the year. :)

And trigger happy might be close. :hmm

oceantoad

Only for the latter part of the year. :)

And trigger happy might be close. :hmm

Any idea when this was , latter , or ?

Oceantoad thank you for all the great shots Here is a shot of Paul's burst circa 1982 or so when it was for sale at Gruhn's.Thanks again Mike B.

Mccartneyburst.jpg

Nice view from the "driver side" made my day, ...thank you !

mbowen

Here is the Lefty 1957 GT John M. owned.In the left handed special thread in this section there is a photo of him playing it.Thanks Mike B.

LeftyGTGIL-1.jpg

Rev.WillieVK

cool ! :salude ...I'm sure this has been discussed many times ..but what's up with the dark spot ?

Multiple layers of the cherry lacquer. The presumption is that sometimes the lacquer did stick the way it was supposed to, so the painter went back over that spot 2, 3, 4 times to get everything painted. When the lacquer was new, red on red gives you red so the guitar had a nice even cherry sunburst all the way around. As the guitar faded, the 'single layer areas' faded faster and the 'multiple layer areas' stayed more red.

I believe McCartney's Burst is marked as a 2nd, possibly because of the finish problem in the dark area.

2 other examples from BurstSerial.com:
http://burstserial.com/gallery/main.php?cmd=album&var1=1959/9+1688/&var2=2
main.php

Heather?

Hey, everybody's got to have a gig... Makes sense to get one that pays, if you can. Marrying directly into Ruttlemania for a minute was a plum. It's said that she hopped away with around 50 extra large. Hard to argue (unless you're the bass player) with the math on that one. I think it breaks down to something like $50 million per leg.

Funnily (not funny like the math breakdown) enough... That guitar came from less than 15 miles from my house. Tom Tarisi (last name sp. butchered I'm sure) had a store called "Guitar Haven" and I believe left-handed guitar shop also figured into the store name, on Backlick Road in Springfield, Virginia. My understanding is that Linda purchased the guitar from him.

And now... For Mikeslub... "The '62 335 that got away"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX4vqpa0QT4

congrats on that outrageous '63. If the other guy's got four aces with a King kick...You've got four aces and your kicker is an ace with that cherry. :3zone

mbowen

Here is a shot Steve C.posted it the other thread,The 57 Goldtop with owner John McEnroe.Missing the Bigsby now.Thanks Mike B

jmac-jackreidgoldtop.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Any idea when this was , latter , or ?

The lefty Les Pauls have caused a little confusion with serial numbers sometimes seemingly out of order. But my guess is that this guitar is late enough to have the fade resistant red. It seems the 1960 left handed Bursts were done at the same time. Maybe an order [or two?] came in and they made a few? :hmm

JJ Blair

Here's a question: Did reflector knobs appear before or after the cherry pigment paint?

TM1

I remweber seeing a few lefty Les Paul's @ Scott Jennings shop in the late `80's & early `90's. I think he had Paul's sunburst before Paul bought it.

oceantoad

Here's a question: Did reflector knobs appear before or after the cherry pigment paint?

Guessing...after ...as well as the Double Ring Klusons?

PS
Thanks Mike ! 1982 at Gruhn's :wow 20 years ago, time is flying by!
I may not know Les Pauls like most of you, but I am pretty good at math:

2012 - 1982 = 30 years.

Time is really flying by...

:)

oops and I did :lol the math in my head ...time for another check up :worm