• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul McCartney's Touring '60

Rev.WillieVK

btw.. I once sat on the plane "next" to you (maybe the shuttle) the same year you bought your 1st Burst in Dallas, or was it Arlington ?

I had totally forgotten that - cool! Are you going to come back to one of the Texas Guitar Shows someday soon?

On topic:
I have only been to 1 Paul McCartney concert and I can honestly say it was probably the single best concert I've ever seen! Paul works hard to put on a fantastic show.

mingus

I saw Paul at the Staples Center in L.A. in '02 or '03 and he put on an amazing show. One of my brothers had a line on box seats at the Hollywood Bowl for this year's tour and even though the tickets were $725 each (face value + ticketbastard convenience fees etc.), we both agreed that there wasn't anyone on the the planet (among the living) we would want to see more -- at any price, so we went with our wives and Paul and his superb band played for nearly three hours. It was a very memorable show and while his voice isn't quite what it once was, it's still very good! In my opinion, this performance was better than the one earlier this decade that I attended. Our box was up at the front and to the sides and behind us were plenty of high-profile musicians, including Dave Grohl, Herbie Hancock, Steven Tyler, Joe Walsh, Jeff Lynn, Patrick Simmons and Ben Harper. These were just the guys in our immediate vicinity that I recognized. I'm sure there were plenty more in attendance, after all, he IS Paul McCartney! Paul (and a little band he used to be in back in the '60s) is a source of inspiration for just about everybody.

An interesting side note is that according to Wikipedia, Paul McCartney is the most successful song writer of all time. Let that sink in for a moment.

Back on topic: it's great that he has a burst and that he's willing to take it out on tour and play it a lot. I think it's fantastic that he still owns, plays and tours with instruments from his days with The Beatles too!

With a personal fortune estimated to be in excess of $1 billion, he does not need to tour for the money! I, for one, am very happy that he is still able and willing to share his gift for songwriting and performing with his legion of fans. :salude

Bassbob

I just saw this video for the first time and thought I'd post it here in this thread.

"The last time I remember it bringing me to tears was when we were playing Amoeba Records Store in Los Angeles and I was singing 'Here Today' for John, which is always an emotional song because it brings back memories of me and John when we were kids. I was holding it together until I looked into the audience and because it was a record store I could see everyone clearly. I just saw this girl who had totally lost it and was weeping and it got me. I tried to look away and forget it but it was impossible - I just went with her." - Paul McCartney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaF5BLP8whQ&feature=player_embedded

J.D.

+1 well stated.

I'd say a very significant pecentage of people in US and Western Europe, any post-gradeschool generation, probably knows the lyrics to at least one song written by Paul McCartney. His music has spanned the globe across cultures, generations, language barriers, etc. It's mind boggling.

pit_s_xroad

It was a very memorable show and while his voice isn't quite what it once was, it's still very good!

:salude

...and, if I am not wrong, he still sings his older Beatles (Helter Skelter...) and Wings (Rockshow...) songs all in the original key they once have been recorded. Other Rock-Giants went down one or two steps over the years... Amazing man, good ole Paul :peace2 ...

PIT... :)

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
Fantastic thread and pics!! :salude :salude :salude

/GV

Fred Hullerum

Paul has given me so much beautiful music and moments.
I would give him my lefthanded 1960 LP TV als a gift, if he ever asks for it. This 1960 TV would be a perfect complement to his 1960 LP Standard... It is even more rare than his 1960 Standard - it is the only known lefthanded double cut TV in the world. He deserves this guitar more than me.

BTW:

In an earlier thread I heard that Gibson started to produce Lefties in a batch of four pieces.

There are 3 known Standards from 1960; these three guitars share the same "issue" (not being routed correctly (mirrored) under the maple top.). So there must be at least another one.

There ist one known Standard from 1959 (the McEnroe). This ist a "real" lefty - completely mirrored inside. So there must be at least three 1959 lefty Standards that are still sleeping under someones bed...

Fred

Cody

Great, great thread! Thanks for the pics!

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
Fred, love that TV! :wow I'm a lefty myself.
But hey, according to your own logic, there should be 3 more like it :biggrin:

/GV

JohnnyAquanet

Could this be the most valuable or "collectable" guitar in the world?

Just a guess but its one of only 3 burst and it was owned by one of the most famous musicians of the day.

Last edited:

toxpert

I vote for Paul's personal bass being the most collectable guitar in the world. I bet that one has more icon identity than a Les Paul.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Could this be the most valuable or "collectable" guitar in the world?

Just a guess but its one of only 3 burst and it was owned by one of the most famous musicians of the day.

Probably not. There is no Beatle association with this guitar.
Many would say his Hofner bass is worth more.

And, it is one of four [known] left handed Bursts.
I wouldn't hold out hope of four more turning up. :ganz

oceantoad

Probably not. There is no Beatle association with this guitar.
Many would say his Hofner bass is worth more.
_1.jpg

Fred Hullerum

But hey, according to your own logic, there should be 3 more like it :biggrin:

/GV

Not necessarily. The assumedly four double cut lefty "Juniors" that Gibson made 1960 were just pure wood in the beginning. My TV was routed to be a "TV" model; it was routed for one pickup and sprayed yellow. Other blanks got two pickups, they named it "Special". There are two 1960 lefty Specials on the market, a yellow and a red one. The red (mint) one ist still for sale in New York; the yellow (quite used) can be found only in the WBG archives, but it is not mentioned to be sold. The "fourth" is still missing.

With a LP Standard you cannot do such things. The body of the "Custom" was pure mahagony. Another color was not available in 1959 or 1960. (The last Goldtop was produced in 1958.)

So if you find three 1960 LP Standards with the same anomaly under the top, there must be a fourth one.

So if you find one perfectly mirrored 1959 LP Standard, there must be three more out of the same batch.

Just my theory...

Fred

R

red59dot

Here's my Sir Paul moment. Sound check on the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York before his "rooftop" performance on the Letterman show in May of last year. Taken from my office window.

PM.jpg

Fred Hullerum

There is a 59 Goldtop. :ganz

That's why I love this forum, Tom. You always learn something new. This Goldtop also shows us: Goldtops since the invention of the humbucking pickup (from 57 on) are - technically - "Bursts". So Julio ist absolutely right to present also the Goldtops from 57 to 59 on "burstserial.com".

I was browsing through burstserial.com today and found some interesting guitars that corroborate my theory of the "batch of four".

Just take the first four guitars on Julios site in the gallery of 1957:

7-1337
7-1382
7-1385
7-1890

They are all lefthanded. What a beginning!

The next four guitars (righthanded of course) spot a black pickguard pp.

7-2371
7-2540
7-2543
7-2901

Only a strange coincidence?

Fred

Last edited: