• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where is Randy Rhoads' Les Paul Custom now?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
TM1, sorry. I thought a '74 was vintage. But since the word vintage really refers to wine and is a term that we have borrowed for cars, bikes, guitars, etc. it loosely means 'old'. I didn't see the fine print on the forum, but a five year discrepancy is not too far off.

More like a 14 year discrepancy. :ganz

"Vintage" refers to more than just wine.
And this subject has been discussed a thousand times. It is merely the definition for this area, and not a blanket statement that the Forum thinks only 50s era LPs are "vintage". :salude

The Real MC

I believe Rhandy was buried with this guitar...

Guitar Player magazine had a Rhoads tribute issue back in the 80s with a picture of Delores holding Randy's white custom. My brother has that issue.

You may have mistaken Rhoads with SRV, who was buried with one of his strats.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ADP

Pat Boyack

I believe Rhandy was buried with this guitar...

Guitar Player magazine had a Rhoads tribute issue back in the 80s with a picture of Delores holding Randy's white custom. My brother has that issue.

You may have mistaken Rhoads with SRV, who was buried with one of his strats.

Randy and Stevie were not buried with any guitars. Dimbag, on the other hand, was buried with one of Eddie Van Halen's guitars.

Reactions: ADP

Doc Sausage

More like a 14 year discrepancy. :ganz

"Vintage" refers to more than just wine.
And this subject has been discussed a thousand times. It is merely the definition for this area, and not a blanket statement that the Forum thinks only 50s era LPs are "vintage". :salude

It appears I am in the Sunburst Pub. Was it moved? And Christ, is it that big a deal? Dimbag vs Dimebag? What typo section does that belong in?

Doc Sausage

I realize now this was an old thread - before the kinder, gentler LPF!

sonar

Huh... guess we were a little more aggressive a few years back.

So, where are his Custom's. Still with Delores?

I'm not big on the RRHF, but an exhibit of his gear, even a temporary one, would be worth the price of admission.

JJC

I remember that photo in GP magazine - here it is:
DELORES-AND-GUITAR-NZ-13.jpg

Transcript of Jas Obrecht's interview with Mrs. Rhoads:

http://jasobrecht.com/randy-rhoads-delores-rhoads-interview/

CPM55

Yup. Isn't that a '57?

The Black Beauty was obtained shortly before his death and according to his sister it was an excellent example, 1957 (serial # 78755 I think) and he was still getting used to the extra pick up. He bought a few vintage instruments towards the end including the black custom and a strat. He was planning to do some formal studies on classical music and likely heading in a new direction, formally giving notice to Ozzie and shortly before his tragic death. The Black Beuaty was in his last photo session and details of it and his other guitars are in the Randy Rhoads book put out by one of our members I am pretty sure. I believe his family has all of these instruments still. Randy is one of those guitarists that I would have loved to see what new direction he took and how his style would eventually evolve. He was a real student of the instrument, knowledgeable about theory and having made impressive strides sill wse ver he years, with likel a lot still to come.

erniek512

The Black Beauty was obtained shortly before his death and according to his sister it was an excellent example, 1957 (serial # 78755 I think) and he was still getting used to the extra pick up. He bought a few vintage instruments towards the end including the black custom and a strat. He was planning to do some formal studies on classical music and likely heading in a new direction, formally giving notice to Ozzie and shortly before his tragic death. The Black Beuaty was in his last photo session and details of it and his other guitars are in the Randy Rhoads book put out by one of our members I am pretty sure. I believe his family has all of these instruments still. Randy is one of those guitarists that I would have loved to see what new direction he took and how his style would eventually evolve. He was a real student of the instrument, knowledgeable about theory and having made impressive strides sill wse ver he years, with likel a lot still to come.

He was going to get his Masters in music at UCLA, continue teaching. He was done with the rock star life.

mutantgenius

Hey, fellas... New to the forum but had to sign up to reply. Circa 1995, my buddy's band, fronted by a young Maria Brink of In This Moment, was managed or sponsored by Sharon Osbourne. One day he showed me his new git, which he secretly told me Sharon arranged to have sold to him. He said it was Randy Rhoads' white Custom. He rarely ever took it out, much less talked about it in anything but hushed tones, as if it were some big secret.
That's all I know...

Last edited:

garywright

Hey, fellas... New to the forum but had to sign up to reply. Circa 1995, my buddy's band, fronted by a young Maria Brink of In This Moment, was managed or sponsored by Sharon Osbourne. One day he showed me his new git, which he secretly told me Sharon arranged to have sold to him. He said it was Randy Rhoads' white Custom. He rarely ever took it out, much less talked about it in anything but hushed tones, as if it were some big secret.
That's all I know... anyone with more knowledge want to weigh in? I'd love to finally legitimize this for myself as a true piece of Rock History...
Wow and Welcome đź‘Ť

SimonBarSinister

Wow and Welcome đź‘Ť
That's all I know...

Welcome to the forum. I don't want to bum anyone out but that story is not true... I mean maybe the person thinks its true but Sharon Osbourne never sold or gave Randy's Guitars to anyone but Randy's Family. Gibson had the LP for the spec on the Randy Rhoads Model. His Family has had his guitars this entire time. I believe Kellie had then now that Randy's Mom passed...

SBS

garywright

yeah, I was hoping he would elaborate some more but extremely doubtful

jb_abides

yeah, I was hoping he would elaborate some more but extremely doubtful

Hmm, perhaps Sharon bought up lots of Customs and gifted them along with tall tales to woo young guitarists to her management company, fables of greatness hidden like fairy dust in the yellowed nitro...? S-s-s-shh, it's a secret.

I've listened to preachers, I've listened to fools

I've watched all the dropouts who make their own rules

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

Pat Boyack

That's all I know...
Total bs. Sorry, but it is. Randy's family has always had ownership of those guitars.