• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Byrdlands: Florentine or Venetian, and why?

blauserk

I have the fever for a Byrdland.

What's your favorite flavor? Florentine or Venetian? I used to prefer the Venetian cutaway, but recently, I've been leaning toward the Florentine. I haven't heard a Florentine recently, but the last time I heard them played back to back, I preferred the Florentine slightly. Maybe it's the short-magnet Pat # pups, and I've also read that the neck block is bigger on the Florentine (but have no idea whether its true).

p1_utifumpue_so.jpg

p1_uqngzeanh_so.jpg

Finally, here's a great video of Phil X on a '59. Fretted Americana took this off youtube after the guitar sold, but happily, someone posted the video on the japanese equivalent.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTMxOTM2NzI=.html

Michael Minnis

They're both beautiful. I've always been a Venetian fan, especially aiming to get a 50's L5, Super 400, etc. But I agree, the Florentine looks great, too. A very knowledgeable archtop dealer once told me that many professional players value the Florentines a bit more because they cut better. I haven't had the chance to really check that out myself. Of course, the easier access to the higher frets on the Florentine is a plus, too. Can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

MikeSlub

Administrator
Florentine! :dude:

1961_Gibson_Byrdland.JPG

Actually, I like both Venetian and Florentine...

Todd Louis

I have the fever for a Byrdland.

What's your favorite flavor? Florentine or Venetian? I used to prefer the Venetian cutaway, but recently, I've been leaning toward the Florentine. I haven't heard a Florentine recently, but the last time I heard them played back to back, I preferred the Florentine slightly. Maybe it's the short-magnet Pat # pups, and I've also read that the neck block is bigger on the Florentine (but have no idea whether its true).

p1_utifumpue_so.jpg

p1_uqngzeanh_so.jpg

Finally, here's a great video of Phil X on a '59. Fretted Americana took this off youtube after the guitar sold, but happily, someone posted the video on the japanese equivalent.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTMxOTM2NzI=.html
Man that guy Oh That's not my kind of guy.....:ganz

Go with the V one ..... Why because its classier

The Boz 56

Love that blonde Florentine! The neck blocks are bigger because of the deeper cutaway so the top vibrates a little less which is a good thing if you wanna crank it up ala Nuge. They still work good for pipe smoker (jazzer) as well! Mike your sunburst is sexy too - been lusting after that one for years!

Danny W.

Why choose?

I like them both ways:

4076037739_18b04745c0_o.jpg

Only one of these is labeled "Byrdland," but they are all thin-bodies with 25.5" scales.

Danny W.

bobbya

Todd Louis, you have posted my dream guitar, one where money would be no object-I definitely prefer the rounder cutaway, and a Byrdland with a Bigsby would be the holy grail...

BobbyS

Re: Why choose?

If they're not labeled Byrdland what are they stamped as - ES-350T's?

I like them both ways:

4076037739_18b04745c0_o.jpg

Only one of these is labeled "Byrdland," but they are all thin-bodies with 25.5" scales.

Danny W.

blauserk

05022010004.jpg

:2zone
My old Baby...still sounding killer after all there years.:2cool

What year? How slim is the neck? I have a '59 ES-350TDN and the fatness of the neck makes up a little for the relative narrowness of the fretboard.

Wally

Re: Why choose?

If they're not labeled Byrdland what are they stamped as - ES-350T's?

The Byrdland is all-solid wood with a carved spruce top as in the L-5. THe ES-350T has maple sides and back with a maple top.....laminated unless I am wrong just like the 335/345/355 guitars.

27sauce wrote: "What I found weird was the Byrdland with the 25.5" scale"
The Byrdland and the ES-350T are both short scale guitars...23 1/2". A byrdland with a 25 1/2" scale would be an L-5 in all respects except the number of frets, isn't it? 22 on the Byrd versus 20 on the L-5. I have never seen a 25 1/2" Byrdland....I suppose it could happen but it would be an oddity.

blauserk

Anyone else get a little seasick seeing this? I've never seen one that was so distorted--every one I've seen lays pretty flat.

60byrdland91.jpg

Last edited:

Wally

blauserk, Gibson liked to put that pretty wood under that natural finish....beautiful.

Wally

Blauserk, I tried to email you, but the message was returned. Contact me out of curiousity???

Stevedenver

Florentine is more functional for fret access-'

i think the Venetian is more aesthetically pleasing

as for the seasick-the rubber ring gromet on the selector toggle is to prevent the click from transferring to the top

Elliot Easton

florentine, but i think it's because i'm such a '60's kid and those are the ones that were around when i was growing up. they just say '60's to me, like a lyre vibrola or a pointier, narrower 335 horn...