• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1958 Split Headstock Explorer - Rick Derringer in '76

RAB

Yup...I saw the show at Fillmore West. Johnny was wearing all black and it looked very eerie when the light show company played a black light over the stage...being albino he looked like a ghost! Rick, being so much shorter looked like a little munchkin!

mbowen

When my buddy Joe S. owned this early VEE it was one # away from Rick D'S split headstock Explorer.8-2141 is the Vee #.Mike B.
8-2141
8-2141-2.jpg

8-2141
8-2141-1.jpg

8-2141
8-2141.jpg

Valhalla

I believe Rick used (amazingly) AMPEG SVTs in 1971. I saw him no less than 5 times when that was his amplification of choice (way back when I was a teenager).

v-verb

Love the split headstock korinas!! You can sort of tell from my avatar.

Suckass pic - not quite explorer
P1040392.jpg

Last edited:

LPunbound

I notice the neck pick-up on Derringer's Explorer is set back from the end of the fingerboard. I have not noticed that on pictures of other explorers. Is there an explanation for that? Do others have that same gap?

Three13

I notice the neck pick-up on Derringer's Explorer is set back from the end of the fingerboard. I have not noticed that on pictures of other explorers. Is there an explanation for that? Do others have that same gap?

The controls in the head-on picture also don't seem to line up the same way as they do on other Explorers, although that could be a trick of the lens, I suppose...

johnabraham

The current owner is in Japan, apparently he found it over there over 30 years ago. You see how the tenon is not going all the way to the middle of the hums? I have seen this same thing with the old V's..... I agree with you though, there are some things about it. May be our brains refuting it though because we have not seen enough of them...

shermanpup

I saw Rick playing that guitar at a Central Park NY concert in '75 when the "Deringer" album came out. Kenny Aaronson on bass, Danny Johnson on guitar and Vinnie Appice on drums, great concert. That guitar sounded great through those Marshalls.

Saw Rick play this guitar at Notre Dame ACC in 76 . He opened for, and embarrassed Aerosmith . I got a lesson on how a professional guitar player is supposed to perform. Rick and Danny Johnson were killin it before EVH arrived in 78 with his white and black striped guitar . Saw that show too, up close at Morris performing arts center in downtown South Bend ,IN. One great display of electric guitar playing by EVH