NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Seriously. It takes a special breed of dumb ass to pop onto a thread about guitars full of fact, fun and fotos only to have some know nothing can't see past 59 fool try and impress us with his selective, discriminate brand of snobbish idiocy. Nothing but lame reasoning, piss poor understanding of luthiery and a reliance on superficial parroting of oft repeated same old nonsense that is just so old, tired and descredited. There is nothing to love about this type of poster, they are absolute worst. I understand the mothers that wish to find a reason to love them, but really they are horrid.
    Have to agree with Al on this one. My first hand experience with a 1980 Les Paul Standard in tobacco sunburst left me with a very positive impression. I bought my 1980 LP Std. from Arnold & Morgan Music in Dallas, TX in June 1980. It was fresh from the Gibson Nashville plant. So fresh that I got dizzy from the VOCs evaporating from the brand new finish.

The build quality of my 1980 LP Std. was as good as anything I have ever seen from the Gibson Nashville factory. It was flawless! Just a beautiful guitar. I didn't give a hoot if it had a 3-piece maple neck or a Nashville tune-o-matic bridge. This guitar was immaculate and played like butter.

A couple of years later, I traded it in for a new 1983 Les Paul Standard in tobacco sunburst. This particular guitar featured the reissue specs like the deep-dish top carve, skinny headstock (SP-6?), one-piece mahogany neck, Tim Shaw PAFs, '59 round profile neck, and a two-piece book-matched maple top. This guitar was just as well built as my 1980 LP Std and I played it for years. I sold it later and have regretted it ever since.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Posting this sweet 1981. I never went for top wrapping but this
    ones bridge sat so high and the stop tail had to be as well.
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

Les Paul Forum Member Deep Purple Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I was a Gibson Repair Tech and salesman then, I KNOW. Everyone thinks because there is an ink stamp it's a Pat. App. For., [Shawbucker, the term I coined here over 20 yrs ago], reissue pickups. 137/138 only.

You have pu490 known as Original Humbucker which along with others switched from T top bobbins to the new square in a circle bobin as the last old t coil bobbins were used up.

Almost all the "Shawbuckers" I see for sale, or equipted on guitars, are infact not.
    LMAO - Big Al “Knows!” WHEN I SAW YET ANOTHER POMPOUS post by Big Al, I immediately thought of the NIKE Ad....”Bo Knows”. I even googled it just now and it has its own wiki page. Not so lucky when I google ‘Big Al knows.’ But apparently, according to Big Al, Big Al “knows” virtually everything. I know ( and so does Big Al), Bo was an All Star MLB player, All Star NFL player and heisman tropgy winner. But Al was a Gibson salesman.

Hey Big Al, you don’t have to be an obnoxious jerk and treat people like crap when you disagree with them. It’s very telling about you. You do it all the time time. But apparently, you are all knowing.

Hey Big Al, Fender has a trade mark registered for “ShawBucker”. Since you state that you coined that phrase 20 years ago I thought you should know. Oops.....I forgot....you knew that.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

1974 Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary.

Mahogany neck (3 piece), Pat No sticker/decal pickups, Ebony board, alloy tail piece, wired ABR, factory Grovers, neck pup vol pot replaced as original had issues. Otherwise original (well, G string saddle!!), clean and fantastic to play....less than 10 pounds too!

Started to refret with the nibs intact - looked and felt silly do to the wide binding, just went with the normal over edge job.

Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Nice...thats the "D" shaped heel of the good ones from the 70`s.
    Hang on to that.
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"