• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

marantz1300

72 walnut.
SDC10631.jpg

SDC10633.jpg

Bob Womack

That's a beaut, and a real "period piece" between the mini-hums with goof hiders and the walnut. Gibson went through a walnut "phase" right about that time. How does it sound?

Bob

Curt Basner

Wow, LOVE that LP!

When I decided to get my plain old 3 pu black/gold LP Custom, I agonized over which version to get. Since I was only going to have one guitar, I ultimately decided that I wanted as 'traditional' of a Les Paul as I could get, which meant a block inlay, ebony fretboard, 'regular' custom.

If I'd have had the money to get more than one, I would have wanted, for sure, a maple boarded LP, 'cause I thought they looked SO cool (especially in the '78 Gibson catalogue!) or another once I really loved, which was the Artisan, with that curlicue fretboard and headstock inlay...

In any event, your LP is just lovely!!!!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz063-2.jpg

dcooper

1973 probably started life as a deluxe, when I got it in 1980 I don't think it had one original part. Plays great a little heavy
IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

marantz1300

That's a beaut, and a real "period piece" between the mini-hums with goof hiders and the walnut. Gibson went through a walnut "phase" right about that time. How does it sound?

Bob

It sounds great.Its from a run of 111.The mini;s dont have the bottom end of full size humbuckers,but are always tight and articulate.like half way between a humbucker and a P90.

Bob Womack

Wot's that? A '71 custom with the logo pickup covers? Oh, ay, vurry noice.

Bob

shred

What pup's are you running in the bridge... SD JB's a la Adam Jones?

Last edited:

FourT6and2

What pup's are you running in the bridge... SD JB's a la Adam Jones?

Bare Knuckle Holy Diver set in the '79. Stock Tim Shaws in the '84. But I have a set of Black Dogs on the way I'm gonna try out. I've had a JB in there for a few years and I was tired of it. The Holy Divers are everything good about the JB, but none of the stuff I hated. It's a great pickup. :) Tool is my favorite band, but I'm not out to copy Adam Jones. I just really like the silverburst and the Diezel is one of my fav amps. But my sound is nothing like Adam's.

bk_pickups_1_by_haftelm-d53u5g5.jpg

shred

I've never been crazy about Tools studio sound, but loved Adam's crushing live rhythm tones on the Lateralus & 10,000 days tour... Love JB's in a Norlin LP :headbange

FourT6and2

Yeah, his live sound when was using just the Marshall is killer.

YouTube "Tool JC Dobbs" and thank me later. :)