• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

Bob Womack

The process is known as "cross-banding." It is done in applications where you want increased rigidity in a structure. The internal layer is laid with its grain at ninety degrees to the main layer's grain. Now I'll speculate: This was in the middle of a period when everyone thought electric guitars should be as rigid and non-resonant as possible to keep the string energy within the string an thus maximize sustain. When you play a pancake LP, you cans see that they achieved that goal. As always, there's a trade off. By the way, amplifiers of the period also moved to non-resonant construction to maximize projection. The '50s tweed Fenders were resonant and lightweight and the '60s Blackface Fenders went to heavier, more rigid construction with plywood.

But if you go back to the period in Guitar Player Magazine, you can see how everyone was struggling to achieve maximum sustain on guitars. Santana had just come out with "Black Magic Woman" using amp feedback for sustain. Veleno came out with their all metal guitar and Pete Haycock played one. Dan Armstrong came out with a Lexan plastic-bodied one. People were replacing the tailpieces and nuts of LPs with brass to increase overall system rigidity and thus sustain.

Bob

Progrocker111

layer's grain. Now I'll speculate: This was in the middle of a period when everyone thought electric guitars should be as rigid and non-resonant as possible to keep the string energy within the string an thus maximize sustain. When you play a pancake LP, you cans see that they achieved that goal.

Most early 70s LPs i played were more resonant than the late 70s with one piece bodies and some of them were more resonant than many Custom Shops i had. :wah

K

Kim R

Hi Kim,

Just a wild guess while I'm at work :) and don't have any info or statistics at hand...
My guess is '71 or '72. Is the Gibson-logo embossed on the pickup covers? I have a '72 which has that.
Serial numbers are pretty useless from 70-75. Best try is to have a look at the potcodes.

Thin_Lizzy,

Nope, plain pup covers on this one.

Thanks -

Curt Basner

Old thread, and many year old picture of my 1978 triple pickup Les Paul Custom. Bought brand new! Just bouncing around the LPF on Christmas Day...

Is it just me, or does it seem like there were a lot more Customs (compared to other models) built (or bought) back in the Norlin days?

Ceramic78CustomSmall.jpg

Witchdoctor

My first and last LP, a late '69 deluxe that's on it's 4th set of frets and 2nd top refin. I bought this new and tried for years and years to replace it because back then everyone knew that these guitars were inferior to the old ones. It has survived a maelstrom of competition, old and new, and it's the only one I own know and that's not likely to change.

lpback5.JPG

Looks very good Mark :salude

Elmore

'71 routed Les Paul Deluxe with Duncan Antiquities and aged nickel hardware. I really like this guitar.

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN4652.jpg

Last edited:

JTinFL

So - "70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins."

Does this mean that my 80's "Pre-Henrys" are not invited to the party?

fjblair

Bad photo. Sorry it's all I have at the moment.
1978 ES-335 and 1979 Les Paul Standard

IMAG0059.jpg

Steve58RI

393698_10150472143386569_601421568_8611068_1939895156_n.jpg

My '82...ebony board on a skinny profile, red all the way around. Approximately 300 lbs. Will stay in tune for months. Sustain like a built-in compressor, sadly average tone.

laterider

I don't have an LP from the Norlin era, but I see other non-LPs here. This is a 1979 SG Exclusive model, the Exclusive was made just in 1979 and had double creme T-Tops. In the 80s I was playing weekly and needed a certain sound (I thought) I ripped them out, replaced them with Dimarzio Super Distortions and later lost them. Oh well, it has Duncans now, this pic is while it was being refretted by a friend and still on premises:

Incurable

Old guy, total newb here. Long time owner and lover of LP's, couldn't resist posting after seeing this thread.

My guitar: bought new in 1977, been my partner ever since. I've done a few mods including removing pickguard/switchguard, replaced plug plate w/metal, using open rear pickup cover, Shaller tuners and that's about it. I have all the original parts and can restore easily. Frets, PUPs, POTs, knobs, switches, bridge and tailpiece are all original.

Items of interest (or past comments) are what appear to be a 'transitional' tenon, 1 pc. body (yes and main reason for abandoning my 74 Black Beauty Custom Anniversary Model), and Tobacco Sunburst back-of-neck details. I've been told not all have that. Comments? Anyway, the neck's true and a she's a good player, much better than my former Custom.

Sorry for the crap pic and I love this guitar despite it's 70s-ness. Lots of good times and memories tied up in this one. I'll try for some better 'glamour' shots when I get some time. Thanks for viewing and a great LP site.

77LP-Std-01.jpg

Stevedenver

i wanna play too
heres some of mine
PICT0062.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

and of course Old Paint

recordingguitar2012001.jpg

Last edited:

JTinFL

393698_10150472143386569_601421568_8611068_1939895156_n.jpg

My '82...ebony board on a skinny profile, red all the way around. Approximately 300 lbs. Will stay in tune for months. Sustain like a built-in compressor, sadly average tone.

I have one very similar - does yours have the second 4-digit serial #? If so, I can tell you more about it. Ping me.