The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 200 of 412
  1. #161
    Les Paul Forum Member SPIROCHETE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    446

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Those are my favorites. Kalamazoo made early 70's Les Paul Deluxe are just tits! I always have had at least one since the early 70's. I can't help it but I always put P90's in the Goldtops, which is what I have now. I leave the sunburst ones with the mini hums on as I really like the tone of those little monsters. That is one clean machine brother!
    Do the P90's fit straight into the slot and is the wiring easy,I really wanna put P90's in my gold top.

  2. #162
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    They drop right in, and wire up the same way. Most every one has a metal mounting bracket on the bottom of the pickup rout. there should be two threaded holes in the center for mounting the P90 WITH MACHINE THREAD SCREWS. The outside two are for the Mini Hums. If you can't get or do not have the proper machine thread screws the coarse wood thread will work if you remove the bracket. In either case it is a good Idea to place some sort of foam in the cavity to help support the base of the pickup and provide the proper "lift". Denser foam works best.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  3. #163
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    small country full of nice women and good beer
    Posts
    3,890

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    My near mint, very small playtime 73 LP Custom in all original condition. Great 70s rock guitar with excellent sustain and moderate 10lbs weight.







    Last edited by Progrocker111; 12-22-12 at 11:01 AM.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia


    2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

  4. #164
    Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Between Clever and Stupid
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Oh, my. Gorgeous.
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring


    My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

  5. #165
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Wow, that is in excellent shape. You should age it so it looks right..
    The older I get, the better I was.

  6. #166
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    small country full of nice women and good beer
    Posts
    3,890

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Wow, that is in excellent shape. You should age it so it looks right..
    Yeah, im working on it slowly. But still i feel a bit nervous when i am playing it in our bandroom, so i can potentially make some dings on this innocent virgin.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia


    2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

  7. #167
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by marantz1300 View Post
    72 walnut.

    WTF! I just your post at another site and that guitar clearly is a Cherry Red with a sun faded top! Where did all this limited run Walnut stuff come from?
    Last edited by Big Al; 12-24-12 at 01:54 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  8. #168

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Here
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les...to-1972-walnut

    and here





    mid 1969 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
    Les Paul Standard is renamed "Les Paul Deluxe". Four piece pancake body (maple top, thicker mahogany layer, thin maple layer, thicker mahogany layer), 2 mini-humbuckers pickups (though some produced with P-90's), 3 piece neck, goldtop finish, pantograph logo.
    1971 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
    Cherry sunburst and Cherry Red finishes
    1972 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
    Tobacco sunburst available till 1979, Walnut finishes available till 1972. Also available with full size humbucker pickups till 1976 when the Les Paul Standard was re-introduced with the larger humbucker pickups.
    1975 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
    Natural and Wine Red top finish available.
    1977 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
    two piece body standard (pancake body dropped).
    1985 Les Paul Deluxe dropped.

    Contact the Vintage Guitar Info Guy
    Back to the Gibson General Info
    Back to the Table of Contents



  9. #169
    Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    That walnut LP is really cool and did not know they existed. How many piece top is it.

  10. #170
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    That is a cherry red Deluxe. You can clearly see the red where the pick guard was. The wood looks just like Maple and doesn't really look at all like walnut. If you paid the big bucks for that, I would have it checked out and maybe see about a refund of some dough.

    Other than the dealers claim, is there any provenance that came with the guitar. It is a beauty, for sure, but the Walnut Wood claim seems bogus too me. Why would anyone pray a cherry red over Walnut? It does not make any sense.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  11. #171

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    You could be right.I wanted a routed Gold Top to replace my old one (If anyone has a 70- 72 and wants a trade in the UK).This guitar was available at the time though and it wasn't big bucks like the shop one.If it is maple all the better.
    The backs and necks have a different finish though.Could be forty years of fade.

    I had a cherry red 77.It looked different to me.





    Last edited by marantz1300; 12-25-12 at 09:21 AM.

  12. #172

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.


  13. #173
    Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That is a cherry red Deluxe. You can clearly see the red where the pick guard was. The wood looks just like Maple and doesn't really look at all like walnut. If you paid the big bucks for that, I would have it checked out and maybe see about a refund of some dough.

    Other than the dealers claim, is there any provenance that came with the guitar. It is a beauty, for sure, but the Walnut Wood claim seems bogus too me. Why would anyone pray a cherry red over Walnut? It does not make any sense.
    I'm confused, I assumed these were regular maple top LP's with a walnut covered stain???? Not a walnut top.

  14. #174
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Yeah it is a Deluxe with a CHERRY Red Finish, not a stain, that has faded to a brownish shade, much like the cherry burst finishes do. The Mahogany neck and body are cherry red finish also. You see a lot of them where the neck looks to be a different color. In the BOTB there are a lot of examples of this. These were my favorite type of Deluxe and hard to find. Later they went to a WINE RED finish, and I would suspect that that was what the 77 was. Wine Red is an elegant color but I love the sweet cherry!

    Still, an excellent Les Paul Deluxe with my favorite features, Kalamazoo made with Mahogany neck, and modified long tenon. As far as I know there were no walnut stain or finish Deluxes from this period and no Walnut tops for sure. That dealer description is misleading and I would say criminal and it would not give me much confidence in Brian Goffs Guitars. The one referenced in his ad is much like yours and I would suspect it is exactly like yours, MAPLE top included. Things that give it away to me are first it looks just like Maple. I would bet it is, it does not look like walnut at all. Second Gibson would have done it is NATURAL finish, and it would have a natural back color like the Goldtop. No one would ever spray Cherry Red onto Walnut and taken together it leads me to the conclusion that it is or was a Cherry Red Les Paul Deluxe with a faded top, like yours.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  15. #175

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Thanks Al.I love the early 70's Deluxes too.So the 1 of 111 is just refering to the colour/stain ,not the wood.I wanted a normal maple/mahogany Deluxe.Traded a guitar for this thinking it was walnut and got what I wanted apart from the colour.
    Merry Christmas

  16. #176
    Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by marantz1300 View Post
    Thanks Al.I love the early 70's Deluxes too.So the 1 of 111 is just refering to the colour/stain ,not the wood.I wanted a normal maple/mahogany Deluxe.Traded a guitar for this thinking it was walnut and got what I wanted apart from the colour.
    Merry Christmas
    So let me get this straight. There were NO walnut topped LP's just 111 walnut color stain. Is this correct.

  17. #177
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Paging .....Mr. Slub

  18. #178
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    So let me get this straight. There were NO walnut topped LP's just 111 walnut color stain. Is this correct.
    I am not aware of any stock Walnut stain or finished Les Paul Deluxe or Standard tops from this period. The only ones I know of are the Walnut Stained Les Paul Artisans.

    The best of the non maple toped Les Pauls IMO are the Rosewood Topped Customs. Some were Brazillian and all are just beautiful. There are a couple of forum members who own one, maybe they will post a photo?
    The older I get, the better I was.

  19. #179

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Here's my old Deluxe that was my touring guitar of choice for many years.

  20. #180

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/el..._Deluxe_Series
    Walnut (approx. 112 mfg. 1971-72),

  21. #181
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    That bluebook description clearly states MAPLE top Mahogany body. It is also the Bluebook, which has lot's of inaccuracies, and not a reliable source on its own. The Walnut is a finish option of which I have never seen and have never seen documented in any reliable source. Lots of the info I find in many of these books is wrong. Especially the Bacon books. Full of misinformation and mislabeled photo's.

    There may have been a Walnut finished Maple top Deluxe. As far as I know they do not exist and every one that is supposed to be, has proven to be non existent. If anyone knows for sure of a stock Walnut Finished Les Paul I would certainly like to see one. Much, much rarer guitars from that time are well documented and accounted for, a triple batch of Walnut Finished Deluxes would have been by now. Sometimes shipping records or advanced sales memos get discovered and used as a reference. Often it is not in reality representative of anything that was put into production, or mislabeled in the sales literature to cause confusion later. As I have said, none have turned up. I have never seen one, I have never seen a reliable photo. In any case if any do turn up, it would be as a dark brown stained maple or a transparent dark brown lacquer finish and not Walnut wood. I would guess that the back and neck would either be walnut stained or transparent brown or natural in any case and certainly NOT Cherry Red.

    I have many old catalogs and good source books and will try to find out anything I can over the next few days. If anyone has some documented info on these please post. My best guess is they do not exist. I've had two Rocket Red sparkle tops and own Bad Betty, a Strings and things Reissue from early/mid 70's. Both are rare as it gets and yet both are well documented. I suspect that the Walnut Finish may have been discussed and dropped in favor of Cherry Red. I believe faded cherry finished have only confused the issue.
    Last edited by Big Al; 12-27-12 at 12:56 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  22. #182

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Cheers Al.I'm very curious myself.In a wek I'll take pics of the cavities and scrape a little paint.This is the back.



  23. #183
    Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Looks exactly like my wine red '80 Standard from the back. It too has faded but not to this extreme.

  24. #184
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    No need, that is most definitely a Maple top. It was a cherry red one, which I've only seen a very few. Very, very cool and sounds like it is exactly what you wanted. I especially like cherry red mahogany and find it to be most beautiful. Most all the sunburst models had a sunburst back, and I just like the look of red mahogany better. If you just gotta check the top, you should be able to see it from the back control panel. Most likely it won't be finished.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  25. #185

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Pics of the cavity.Thanks to all for the I.D. help,especially Big Al.
    BTW Prodrocker your Customs awesome.



  26. #186

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Here is my early 70's routed Deluxe. I've owned it over 30 years...


    Tried again Chucklesbarry, thanks..
    Last edited by frank4001; 12-29-12 at 04:38 PM.

  27. #187

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
    Here is my early 70's routed Deluxe. I've owned it over 30 years...
    http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...pDeluxe001.jpg
    Nice, really has aged well and I bet it sounds killer.
    btw, if you go the photobucket, click on the image and then click on img code ( on the rt side of the page ) you can paste the image on here.

  28. #188

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    thats a lovely Gold Top.The checking looks fantastic

  29. #189

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucklesbarry View Post
    Nice, really has aged well and I bet it sounds killer.
    btw, if you go the photobucket, click on the image and then click on img code ( on the rt side of the page ) you can paste the image on here.
    It sounds great and plays great. I have some Dimarzio VPaf's in it and just added the historic rings and pickguard....thanks

  30. #190
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    small country full of nice women and good beer
    Posts
    3,890

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by marantz1300 View Post
    Pics of the cavity.Thanks to all for the I.D. help,especially Big Al.
    BTW Prodrocker your Customs awesome.
    Definitely early 70s until very early 73, the black Sprague caps werent used later.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia


    2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

  31. #191
    riffmeister
    Guest

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    1979, new frets, pots/caps, 9K Ohm Fralin bridge pickup

  32. #192
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    I gotta say, as a certified old fart, I love all you guy's that appreciate these great guitars.
    I still get that wonderful feeling when I see them now, as I did when they were brand new.

    Grab a sweet Custom and get a jumbo refret... yeow!! ticket to tone heaven. Love the option of sweet multifaceted and smooth Mini Humbucker Deluxes, THE MOST UNDERRATED AND UNDER APPRECIATED LES PAUL next to the equally wonderful Recording models. And where are the RECORDING Les Pauls???

    When I see a classic sunburst Standard from this time I remember all those hundreds and hundreds of gigs in clubs and bars, traveling in the van and loving every single minute of it.

    And I loved my Norlin Les Pauls. I loved 'em and if they ain't 50's...well... I FREAKIN KNOW THAT!!!! I knew what year it was when I bought them new. Unlike the delusional buyers I encounter way to often nowadays..
    .
    "Hey AL! Come check out my sweet '59!"

    Be right there, hang on!.... WTF!! That is a R9, what a 2012??? IT ISN'T A 59, SO QUIT CALLING IT THAT!!!!

    WTF why do all these nimrods call their new guitars 59's??

    "Check out this road warrior, Al. This 59's got some serious MOJO"!!

    Really? REALLY!!!??
    WTF! That is what? A 2011 R9?? It is beat to shit. Half the finish is missing, it's all worn and scratched up, I can see the cracks in the finish from across the room.!! WTF! You must have played the snot outta that guitar up and down the coast and left and right!! Man I thought I put some miles and hours on my guitars...

    What?... WHAT???? .... YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED IT OUT SIDE OF YOUR BEDROOM????
    WHAT THE HELL DOES MOJO MEAN TO YOU ANYWAY???

    These guitars on this thread are real guitars. They are what they are, and many, many , many of them delivered it up, night after night. They should be showcased, they should be played and loved and kept in good working order, because in the end they never tried to be anything other than a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT and not a FASHION ACCESSORY!

    OK, sorry for the mini rant, but I really do love these guitars and I am glad you do to. Told you I was an old fart, old and crotchety!!!
    The older I get, the better I was.

  33. #193
    Les Paul Forum Member jrnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    228

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrnic View Post
    I've shown it before but here it is again. My 1978 LP Special Double Cut. It originally had P90's but back in my "Metal Head" days I put in Dimarzios. It currently has a 496R/500T set in it. It sounds awesome.






    ***************UPDATE********************

    I have modified my Les Paul Special back to P90 pickups. Biggest part of the project was designing a new pickguard to cover over the gaps made from routing the humbucker openings that was done years ago.

    I got the idea for this modification after seeing a few early 60's LP Specials and noticing how the pickguard looked. Thanks to "the Pickguardian" I had the pickguard made up to complete the project. It's nice to have the P90's back!

    Here it is:


  34. #194

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Great job.It looks pukka.

  35. #195
    Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Between Clever and Stupid
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Nicely done!
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring


    My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

  36. #196

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I gotta say, as a certified old fart, I love all you guy's that appreciate these great guitars.
    I still get that wonderful feeling when I see them now, as I did when they were brand new.

    Grab a sweet Custom and get a jumbo refret... yeow!! ticket to tone heaven. Love the option of sweet multifaceted and smooth Mini Humbucker Deluxes, THE MOST UNDERRATED AND UNDER APPRECIATED LES PAUL next to the equally wonderful Recording models. And where are the RECORDING Les Pauls???

    When I see a classic sunburst Standard from this time I remember all those hundreds and hundreds of gigs in clubs and bars, traveling in the van and loving every single minute of it.

    And I loved my Norlin Les Pauls. I loved 'em and if they ain't 50's...well... I FREAKIN KNOW THAT!!!! I knew what year it was when I bought them new. Unlike the delusional buyers I encounter way to often nowadays..
    .
    "Hey AL! Come check out my sweet '59!"

    Be right there, hang on!.... WTF!! That is a R9, what a 2012??? IT ISN'T A 59, SO QUIT CALLING IT THAT!!!!

    WTF why do all these nimrods call their new guitars 59's??

    "Check out this road warrior, Al. This 59's got some serious MOJO"!!

    Really? REALLY!!!??
    WTF! That is what? A 2011 R9?? It is beat to shit. Half the finish is missing, it's all worn and scratched up, I can see the cracks in the finish from across the room.!! WTF! You must have played the snot outta that guitar up and down the coast and left and right!! Man I thought I put some miles and hours on my guitars...

    What?... WHAT???? .... YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED IT OUT SIDE OF YOUR BEDROOM????
    WHAT THE HELL DOES MOJO MEAN TO YOU ANYWAY???

    These guitars on this thread are real guitars. They are what they are, and many, many , many of them delivered it up, night after night. They should be showcased, they should be played and loved and kept in good working order, because in the end they never tried to be anything other than a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT and not a FASHION ACCESSORY!

    OK, sorry for the mini rant, but I really do love these guitars and I am glad you do to. Told you I was an old fart, old and crotchety!!!
    Amen.

  37. #197
    Les Paul Forum Member shred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    That left turn at Albuquerque....
    Posts
    4,645

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Most are long gone... But early 70's Norlins are the best value in the LP world. Period. BTW Happy New Year Y'all

    Last edited by shred; 12-31-12 at 10:01 PM.


    "I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

    https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

  38. #198
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    252

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    I like this thread

    I remember being in junior year of high school in 72, playing my buddies brand new black LP Custom. He sold me his 69 SG to finance the Custom purchase. I remember thinking that black LP was the most beautiful guitar I ever saw...... I think those early 70's Norlins are great guitars!

  39. #199
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,512

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
    I like this thread

    I remember being in junior year of high school in 72, playing my buddies brand new black LP Custom. He sold me his 69 SG to finance the Custom purchase. I remember thinking that black LP was the most beautiful guitar I ever saw...... I think those early 70's Norlins are great guitars!
    Bird72, we must be the same age, class of 73?
    The older I get, the better I was.

  40. #200
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    small country full of nice women and good beer
    Posts
    3,890

    Re: 70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

    Quote Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
    I think those early 70's Norlins are great guitars!

    Yes, they are . And contrary to the general Norlin era reputation, they are very consistent. I have had many of them and nearly all were really great sounding guitars, not too heavy and fairly resonant too. Yes, they have very different tone than new Custom Shop reissues, but they are so killer 70s hardrock sounding, what no new guitar can equal.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia


    2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i