• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

SPIROCHETE

Those are my favorites. Kalamazoo made early 70's Les Paul Deluxe are just tits! :hippy I always have had at least one since the early 70's. I can't help it but I always put P90's in the Goldtops, which is what I have now. I leave the sunburst ones with the mini hums on as I really like the tone of those little monsters. That is one clean machine brother!

Do the P90's fit straight into the slot and is the wiring easy,I really wanna put P90's in my gold top.

Big Al

They drop right in, and wire up the same way. Most every one has a metal mounting bracket on the bottom of the pickup rout. there should be two threaded holes in the center for mounting the P90 WITH MACHINE THREAD SCREWS. The outside two are for the Mini Hums. If you can't get or do not have the proper machine thread screws the coarse wood thread will work if you remove the bracket. In either case it is a good Idea to place some sort of foam in the cavity to help support the base of the pickup and provide the proper "lift". Denser foam works best.

Progrocker111

My near mint, very small playtime 73 LP Custom in all original condition. Great 70s rock guitar with excellent sustain and moderate 10lbs weight.

IMG_0020.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

Wow, that is in excellent shape. You should age it so it looks right..:worm :rofl :laugh2:

Progrocker111

Wow, that is in excellent shape. You should age it so it looks right..:worm :rofl :laugh2:

Yeah, im working on it slowly. :2zone But still i feel a bit nervous when i am playing it in our bandroom, so i can potentially make some dings on this innocent virgin. :wah

marantz1300

Here
http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-deluxe-walnut-to-1972-walnut

and here

mid 1969 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
Les Paul Standard is renamed "Les Paul Deluxe". Four piece pancake body (maple top, thicker mahogany layer, thin maple layer, thicker mahogany layer), 2 mini-humbuckers pickups (though some produced with P-90's), 3 piece neck, goldtop finish, pantograph logo.
1971 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
Cherry sunburst and Cherry Red finishes
1972 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
Tobacco sunburst available till 1979, Walnut finishes available till 1972. Also available with full size humbucker pickups till 1976 when the Les Paul Standard was re-introduced with the larger humbucker pickups.
1975 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
Natural and Wine Red top finish available.
1977 Les Paul Deluxe specs:
two piece body standard (pancake body dropped).
1985 Les Paul Deluxe dropped.

Contact the Vintage Guitar Info Guy
Back to the Gibson General Info
Back to the Table of Contents

SDC10933.jpg

SDC10924.jpg

kharrison

That walnut LP is really cool and did not know they existed. How many piece top is it.

Big Al

That is a cherry red Deluxe. You can clearly see the red where the pick guard was. The wood looks just like Maple and doesn't really look at all like walnut. If you paid the big bucks for that, I would have it checked out and maybe see about a refund of some dough.

Other than the dealers claim, is there any provenance that came with the guitar. It is a beauty, for sure, but the Walnut Wood claim seems bogus too me. Why would anyone pray a cherry red over Walnut? It does not make any sense.

marantz1300

You could be right.I wanted a routed Gold Top to replace my old one (If anyone has a 70- 72 and wants a trade in the UK).This guitar was available at the time though and it wasn't big bucks like the shop one.If it is maple all the better.
The backs and necks have a different finish though.Could be forty years of fade.

I had a cherry red 77.It looked different to me.
eluxe76body.jpg

SDC10868.jpg

SDC10924.jpg

SDC10644.jpg
Deluxe7176backs.jpg

Deluxe1976back.jpg

Last edited:

kharrison

That is a cherry red Deluxe. You can clearly see the red where the pick guard was. The wood looks just like Maple and doesn't really look at all like walnut. If you paid the big bucks for that, I would have it checked out and maybe see about a refund of some dough.

Other than the dealers claim, is there any provenance that came with the guitar. It is a beauty, for sure, but the Walnut Wood claim seems bogus too me. Why would anyone pray a cherry red over Walnut? It does not make any sense.

I'm confused, I assumed these were regular maple top LP's with a walnut covered stain???? Not a walnut top.

Big Al

Yeah it is a Deluxe with a CHERRY Red Finish, not a stain, that has faded to a brownish shade, much like the cherry burst finishes do. The Mahogany neck and body are cherry red finish also. You see a lot of them where the neck looks to be a different color. In the BOTB there are a lot of examples of this. These were my favorite type of Deluxe and hard to find. Later they went to a WINE RED finish, and I would suspect that that was what the 77 was. Wine Red is an elegant color but I love the sweet cherry!

Still, an excellent Les Paul Deluxe with my favorite features, Kalamazoo made with Mahogany neck, and modified long tenon. As far as I know there were no walnut stain or finish Deluxes from this period and no Walnut tops for sure. That dealer description is misleading and I would say criminal and it would not give me much confidence in Brian Goffs Guitars. The one referenced in his ad is much like yours and I would suspect it is exactly like yours, MAPLE top included. Things that give it away to me are first it looks just like Maple. I would bet it is, it does not look like walnut at all. Second Gibson would have done it is NATURAL finish, and it would have a natural back color like the Goldtop. No one would ever spray Cherry Red onto Walnut and taken together it leads me to the conclusion that it is or was a Cherry Red Les Paul Deluxe with a faded top, like yours.

marantz1300

Thanks Al.I love the early 70's Deluxes too.So the 1 of 111 is just refering to the colour/stain ,not the wood.I wanted a normal maple/mahogany Deluxe.Traded a guitar for this thinking it was walnut and got what I wanted apart from the colour.
Merry Christmas

kharrison

Thanks Al.I love the early 70's Deluxes too.So the 1 of 111 is just refering to the colour/stain ,not the wood.I wanted a normal maple/mahogany Deluxe.Traded a guitar for this thinking it was walnut and got what I wanted apart from the colour.
Merry Christmas

So let me get this straight. There were NO walnut topped LP's just 111 walnut color stain. Is this correct.

Big Al

So let me get this straight. There were NO walnut topped LP's just 111 walnut color stain. Is this correct.

I am not aware of any stock Walnut stain or finished Les Paul Deluxe or Standard tops from this period. The only ones I know of are the Walnut Stained Les Paul Artisans.

The best of the non maple toped Les Pauls IMO are the Rosewood Topped Customs. Some were Brazillian and all are just beautiful. There are a couple of forum members who own one, maybe they will post a photo?