• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do you want to play Real vs Modeling?

Scuzzo

i just love how folks atribute some mojo or what ever to using tubes vs the cold distilled sound of mods blah be de blah...
its signal... an A440 is A440 .. and if you can get on modle use it..
if you get there with tube use it.. but dont for one second think there is some magic mojo in either...

its the ship not the captain... player trumph gear.. if i play shyte its going to be that way in a tube or a mod or a dixie cup and string,,

get past it and play..

mho

andi-o

when you plug into that 68' Marshall Plexi and turn it to 6 or 7 that's when you hear god speak and she uses tube's

Yes. The grail needs to be defended, what ever it takes, as long as our fragile earth is just a flat disc in space, orbited by the sun...

Andi

Mahalo

Yes. The grail needs to be defended, what ever it takes, as long as our fragile earth is just a flat disc in space, orbited by the sun...

Andi

Hey, that's good, thank you! :)

Are you trying to say you disagree?

"For I am not so enamoured of my own opinions that I disregard what others may think of them."
- Nicolaus Copernicus

hoss

Just to give you a short update on my Axe FX purchase.

I took a few days off and so I got my package yesterday and not last week. The service by G66 (German distribution) was the best shopping experience I had on the web in 15 years.
They included extra manuals and how-tos written by a German team, and they also exchanged the noisy US fan in the rack unit with a silent German model.
I got a personal letter and a big box of chocolate with the package. Nice.

The product itself sounds amazing, and is really easy to use once you know how the layout editor works (takes 5-10 minutes).

It is incredibly deep, so far I just touched the surface and the only fancy thing I did was loading custom Impluse Response files (the famous Redwirez).

You can edit the settings down to the bias of the power tubes. Years of tweaking fun ahead!

ponderosa_10.jpg

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
I play both, like both. All I care about is the tone in my head, and finding it somehow.
Nothing else.

/GV

mkeditor

Congratulations, Hoss. I see that you have the Eleven rack too. I bet the black box out classes the eleven by a long shot. What say you?

hoss

Congratulations, Hoss. I see that you have the Eleven rack too. I bet the black box out classes the eleven by a long shot. What say you?
The Axe sounds great, as does the Eleven Rack.

The Axe FX however has incredible tweaking possibilties and scores of amps and effects that the the 11R does not have. You can even load up to 10 custom Impulse Responses.
Also the Axe FX offers multiple (STEREO) chains while the 11R offers only one mono rig (just the Reverb is stereo, not even a stereo Delay).

Since the Axe FX is a rack unit with digital and midi In-Out but no audio interface (hell, not even a headphones jack) you need a good audio interface with multiple in-out routing capabilites and the Eleven Rack is a perfect match (it also comes with Pro Tools 8 LE).

I have the Axe FX connected to the Eleven Rack through the Digital In and Out SPDIF connectors (no latency).
The guitar, studio monitors and headphones are connected to the Eleven Rack.
In Pro Tools (or Cubase) I can record the dry signal and the wet signal (routed through the Axe Fx) and I can also reamp through the Axe FX.
The Axe is connected to my Mac via Midi for using the GUI Editor.

Great setup!

Here is a list of the In-Out ports that can be routed in Eleven Rack (in Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic,...)

11r_in-out.jpg

For all the "computer haters": It may sound like rocket science but it is not. It's actually straight forward.

Last edited:

J T

What are you using for pro tools, just the eleven rack?

hoss

What are you using for pro tools, just the eleven rack?
Yes, but Pro Tools LE that came with the 11R is pretty limited, especially concerning plugins and latency correction.
I use Cubase 5 a lot with this setup, too.

Red Rocket

I'm trying to get back into action, after getting hit by a drunk moron driving without a license who decided to run a red light. So in case any of you other tone chasers are fiddling around with this subject, let me say that in addition to the great posts here our buddy Bob Womack has a nice page with some additional rig info

http://www.in2guitar.com/multiamp.html

Thanks again Bob, you're a credit to the Forum.

bluesape

My experience with modelling amps has been limited to low-end Line6's and Vox Valvetronics, so I'm underwhelmed. That said, know there's great processing gear like the Eleven Rack and Fractal Axe units, but i wouldn't want to see them built into an amp. For me, a clean but warm tube baseline tone is where I want the amp set, with fx inserted and removed at will. I don't know of any modelling unit or software that can give me that in a live situation. In a well equipped studio, where you've got all day to get everything just so, the digital stuff makes a stronger case in terms of time saving and inventorying truckloads of vintage gear. Maybe you can punch in "Plexi" or "Tweed" and get damn close, but I want the real deal with me on a stage.

Bob Womack

I'm trying to get back into action, after getting hit by a drunk moron driving without a license who decided to run a red light. So in case any of you other tone chasers are fiddling around with this subject, let me say that in addition to the great posts here our buddy Bob Womack has a nice page with some additional rig info

http://www.in2guitar.com/multiamp.html

Thanks again Bob, you're a credit to the Forum.
Thank you for your kind words!

Bob