• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'58 Jr P90 pickup mounting question

Chris Swope

hey chris!
(now it's 3). I lost track of the LPF somehow. ended up on "my" LPF for awhile (thought this had been revamped). weird. thx again for your help here. frank & I are both relieved.
All I did was forward Frank the link. There is a lot of great info on this site. Lots of BS, too. :) Anything that TW59 says you can take as gospel, though. Let me know when you come through my neck of the woods. I'd love to come hear you guys.

alschnier

Great question Luke.
Great follow-up Tom.
Great thread!

.... :salude

agreed. if we get enough info together, maybe someone should forward a link to folks like Gruhn, Bacon, Duchossoir, etc. if it's a 'matter of public record' that there are enough proven examples like this, it should be documented in the next LP / Vintage book

jsamans

I own single cut 8 1559. Just checked -- it's got a dog ear. Very interesting thread :salude

27sauce

Four digit '58's arent the earliest '58's are they? Are the big guard '58's the earliest? I wonder if those hace it. Its crazy, its so cliche, but those must have been Friday guitars. Serial number stamps messed up, out of dog ears...I love anomalies like that!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Four digit '58's arent the earliest '58's are they? Are the big guard '58's the earliest? I wonder if those hace it. Its crazy, its so cliche, but those must have been Friday guitars. Serial number stamps messed up, out of dog ears...I love anomalies like that!

They definitely aren't the earliest 58s [did you mean earliest double cut 58s? :hmm].
They might even be the earliest 59s, but we might never know. :)

Luke Gibson

They definitely aren't the earliest 58s [did you mean earliest double cut 58s? :hmm].
They might even be the earliest 59s, but we might never know. :)

Correct because there is no year number, so these may be the earliest '59's.

Brown Recluse

I finally got around to popping the cover and pulling the pickup on my '58, serial number 6290. It has a soap bar with the two screw holes in the center of the route. I had replaced this pickup for a while during the mid 70's and have had the original pickup back in since sometime in the 80's. The soap bar isn't currently being held on by the 2 screws through the pickup. However, it looks like it used to be based on the appearance of the holes in the top bobbon plate. I can see the rough edges that would have been produced by the two screws going in and then later having been taken out.

I wonder what the hell I did with those?

Electric Lloyd

Correct because there is no year number, so these may be the earliest '59's.

If these could beearly 1959's, wouldn't the body edge have a softer edge? I thought most (if not all) '58s had the sharper body edges. BCR Greg should know the answers...

Hi Luke!!:salude

JIMI55LP

Check the pots dates. Crisper body edge on a doublecut would indicate 58' to me.

BurstWurst

I opened up a 4 digit 58 a short while back, almost hoping to find a soap bar under the cover. But, no, it had a standard P90, and sadly a tone turd.